Garik_Duvall
Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
cool stuff - this is just the tip of the iceberg - it's early days here

I have believed for quite a while now that all the components that make up Star Citizen are worth more to Chris Roberts as a story-telling and metaverse engine than Star Citizen the game is

[RANT]
hyping the game is CR's way of getting us to fund his digital content creation platform

the fact that this sort of production is doable before other essential gameplay elements are implemented is a hint about CR's priorities

we are nowhere near having a real market, crafting or other pieces of a working economy

we have a zillion visually cool ships but no gameplay mechanics to incentivize using them for anything but NPC missions

there are no mechanics around territoriality and status, two of the biggest human motivators

where are the conflict drivers?

what will keep me logging in once the AI behind NPC missions is a known quantity?

we're going to need PVP, the spontaneity and unpredictability of player versus player and Org versus Org conflict to sustain our interest

and I don't see those things being built into the game
[/RANT]

please resume heaping well deserved praise on the creators of Adrift now

they are using Star Citizen as Chris Roberts intended

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's well done and it leaves me wanting more. I can say I'm also interested in more of the story.

I recognize @maynard's concern. The problem though is that SC is kind of stuck in one genre, and one set of available assets. Large scale film makers aren't going to like that much. It's OK for Indi shorts, and hobbiest explorations but not much else.
There is another set of platforms that has much greater potential for use in this kind of film, complete with hundreds of thousands of available virtual assets but also with the ability to import mesh objects you create independently. For a graphic artist, this is, well maybe not child's play, but every day stuff. And SC is not the only platform in the world to feature facial animation.
See this: Note it dates from 2017.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvCxyDwHeag

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
It's well done and it leaves me wanting more. I can say I'm also interested in more of the story.
what he said
The problem though is that SC is kind of stuck in one genre, and ... It's OK for Indi shorts, and hobbiest explorations but not much else.
the spaceships and space suits are the only genre-specifice assets in SC

and yeah, what it's doing is democratizing Metaverse content creation

I'm a huge fan of this aspect of the platform as well as a critic of some of CIG's game design decisions

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm a huge fan of this aspect of the platform as well as a critic of some of CIG's game design decisions
Game design decisions - yeah, that's becoming more of a problem every patch. I have no explanation for why ships that were working, suddenly stop working and CIG does nothing to fix the situation. They are doing some amazing things, but quality is not their middle name.

• o7
Reactions: maynard

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Wow that is a really nice work: good story introduction, good caracters personality (even for a so short eppisode) good camera shots....
With all the limitation that the SC base impose this is a really good peace of movie.

Forgot your password?