Anvil Hurricane ship of choice for Cannon Fodder Squardon

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I don't know. The jury is still out for me. I love the look of it. I also am a huge fan of the glass cannon style of gameplay. What will tell the tale is maneuverability. The first issue, is that it's not small at all. It's the size of a Hornet and that is a problem. The hornet is easy to hit. This thing has fk-all for shields so easy to hit is a very bad thing. The second issue is power plants. How are you going to sustain any sort of firepower with a S1 power plant. I can only assume this is a typo. The third is the single TR2 engine. I can only assume this is a typo as well. There is no friggen way a single TR2 will be good enough.

So to the good things. It is much lighter than a hornet (25% lighter), and has more maneuvering thrusters. This is going to be it's saving grace. The ONLY way you will be able to avoid getting knocked into dust will be to keep your opponent on your wing. That way you take advantage of the much smaller side profile. So you will need to be dodgy as hell.

Then there's the armament. 2 S4s, a S3 manned turret and a chunk of S2 missiles? Not too shabby. Honestly, I would have preferred to not have a manned turret (trying to shoot a turret with a pilot flying evasion is counter intuitive). I would have much preferred to have a smaller ship with more fixed weapons and no passengers.

Better yet, throw everything out and let me have a single S5. That's it. Just one gun. I would have loved to see this thing the size of a Mustang but with one M7A sticking out the front. THAT would have been worth the money to me. But instead, we got a stripped down weaksauce hornet with basically no shields, no power plants, and no main engines.

I mean, I still bought it...

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
How are you going to sustain any sort of firepower with a S1 power plant. I can only assume this is a typo.
Only Ballistacs.
Then there's the armament. 2 S4s, a S3 manned turret and a chunk of S2 missiles?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15753-The-Anvil-Hurricane
Standard model Hurricanes currently ship with six KBAR 11-Series Broadsword cannons (two gimbaled on the Size 4 nose hardpoints and four on the Size 3 turret slots)
The manned turret has 4!!! S3 turret slots.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Honestly, it might just work out. I love the concept. That's why I picked it up. I think it needs work, but it should be worth it. I bought it for the same reason I still own my old chevy pickup. It gets shit mileage. It doesn't look near as fancy as my car. I have to crank the windows down and it really does take some time to get used to driving (manual transmission with a 5.7l V8).

However, it could pull my house off its foundation if I asked it to. It survived my wife driving it for a year (not a crack about women drivers, just my wife). And some day, my daughter will wreck it (but she will walk away from the accident because of steel). I love my truck. I don't drive it often anymore, but I love it just the same. That's why I bought the Hurricane. It's a beast. It's not the best beast. It's not an elegant beast, but it is my beast.

Reactions: marcsand2

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
So it heavily reminded me of : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton_Paul_Defiant

That manned turret is going to make life really interesting - Pilot focusing on evasion and situational awareness, gunner focusing on getting that lovely quad mount on target - Pilot occasionally popping away with his two S4 fixed's, because if the ship is manoeuvrable as it seems, gimbals are just going to mess up your flying.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .it's not small at all. It's the size of a Hornet and that is a problem.
It is 2/3 the width and 2/3 the mass of a Hornet. It is much smaller and harder to hit. This might fit into a Carrack. It also should be easier to hide on sensors than a Hornet. With a smallish reactor and 6 Pyrobursts mounted, this thing is from the gates of Hell itself. With the top turret missing and the 4 equipment slots filled with tracker gear, this could be the perfect spotter for larger vessels like the Polaris.

ThunderKraken

Space Marshal
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
Thunder_Kraken
It is 2/3 the width and 2/3 the mass of a Hornet. It is much smaller and harder to hit. This might fit into a Carrack. It also should be easier to hide on sensors than a Hornet. With a smallish reactor and 6 Pyrobursts mounted, this thing is from the gates of Hell itself. With the top turret missing and the 4 equipment slots filled with tracker gear, this could be the perfect spotter for larger vessels like the Polaris.
Polaris is advertised as having a repair bay for small fighter ships. Seems like a win.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yes, the Terrapin will fit in the Polaris. Most have been wondering about the Carrack. The Hornet will not fit in the Carrack, but the Hurricane might.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hmm so two people in a hurricane or two people in two sabres. Which is most effective? I would guess the later?

Now, two people in two hurracanes with a npc manning the turret - could be different!!!

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
Armor isn't even working properly with most ships correct? Are shields to scale on the currently flyable ships?

I ask because what can we even compare these theories to if nothing is valid currently?

Oh Dalai Lama, where are you?

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
I'm just now seeing how those equipment slots are being used. The older ships aren't laid out like that on their stat pages yet. The LN has only a stor-all on it's page, but actually has a power plant and cooler. To have a cooler, jump drive, qd, and stor-all, the LN needs 4 slots.

Those four slots on the Hurricane are filled with a quantum drive, jump drive, and 2 coolers. You'd have to make some decisions about what you were willing to lose if you wanted to carry other equipment.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Whats the deal with the warbond thing? Anyway, if the turret locks down and slaves to my trigger, like the SH, I'm cool, because all the sudden I got a real glass canon, and I can live with that(I have a Delta). On the other hand, if I have to fly with a gunner, I want to fly and train with a human with the discipline to keep that turret facing forward at all times and only shooting at what I'm shooting at...well, we got wall of lead(actually probably depleted uranium)that is going to be difficult to survive. I can live with that too.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Whats the deal with the warbond thing? Anyway, if the turret locks down and slaves to my trigger, like the SH, I'm cool, because all the sudden I got a real glass canon, and I can live with that(I have a Delta). On the other hand, if I have to fly with a gunner, I want to fly and train with a human with the discipline to keep that turret facing forward at all times and only shooting at what I'm shooting at...well, we got wall of lead(actually probably depleted uranium)that is going to be difficult to survive. I can live with that too.
Damn it, you guys talked me into it. You should be spaceship salespeople

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
Warbond sales are to raise more cash, rather than melting and using store credit.

Reactions: Carlos Spicyweiner
Forgot your password?