Anyone use a wireless headset for gaming?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Usually no (especially if you set up PTT). Have you tried non-gamery headsets? The reason I use BOSE is the fact they are super duper comfortable as they are designed to be worn for long flights. Gamer headsets are usually heavy + subpar earpads + bad ergonomics. Another bonus is you can use them for commutes :P
I completely agree with the why. Gamer headsets are usually heavy, and hot just from gaining body temperature, and squeeze on your head. You just feel them too much. That's why I looked for something different, and came up with the Corsair and jabra. I literally need a headset that can be worn 16 hours a day. On ear I think is better for me, than around the ear, and lightweight counts for a lot. For me it also works better if it's wireless. I can't sit at a desk for 16 hours, I also walk around especially if I'm talking to someone. Helps me think.

Here's something I'm looking seriously at - it's sold a lot cheaper at other vendors. This ticks a lot of buttons for me.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Edit: I'm just very curious why people would put headsets on if they can just use a desktop mic? There must be a catch with using a desktop mic?
It's not the mic. That can be anywhere that can hear me. It's the bit on your ears that I need. Not in your ear or around your ear but on. That's been the only way it's comfortable. PC speakers are also too loud when I'm not at home. Yes, I have to wear the headset up to 16 hours/day.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Hi, I just have a quick question. I never use headsets, I have a few and I find them uncomfortable after 20mins or so. So I got a desktop mic, but only used it briefly a few times in the past. Are there any echo issues with using desktop mics? It's not in front of a speaker or anything.

Edit: I'm just very curious why people would put headsets on if they can just use a desktop mic? There must be a catch with using a desktop mic?
I wear them because the sound quality and noise isolation of headphones is far superior to in-ear or speaker solutions. There is simply no contest in that regard. I use a headset because it's convenient to have the mic off my desk and up mounted to the headphones.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
All good advice. I will try a light/comfortable headset as suggested, if it still bothers me I will stick to my desktop mic. Thanks guys!

Edit: The speakers being loud is not a problem for me, I only use a mic when playing games and in my gaming room. The speaker sound quality vs headset sound quality, this is probably true but the slight difference I can live with.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I wear them because the sound quality and noise isolation of headphones is far superior to in-ear or speaker solutions. There is simply no contest in that regard. I use a headset because it's convenient to have the mic off my desk and up mounted to the headphones.
Same I moved to headsets because of the noise isolation and clear sound direction which is critical when playing games like Battlefield and COD. I also like the boom mics on the headset as I have found the desktop mic can drop in sound quality and sometimes have a hard time picking up someone talking do to them not looking in the direction of the mic or picking up the speaker's background sound. It was always entertaining when you heard a flush of a toilet which explained why the lack of heals lead to a raid wiped.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Same I moved to headsets because of the noise isolation and clear sound direction which is critical when playing games like Battlefield and COD. I also like the boom mics on the headset as I have found the desktop mic can drop in sound quality and sometimes have a hard time picking up someone talking do to them not looking in the direction of the mic or picking up the speaker's background sound. It was always entertaining when you heard a flush of a toilet which explained why the lack of heals lead to a raid wiped.
Yeah, I couldn't play Siege nearly as well without headphones, that tiny differentiation in sound direction is super heard (and exponentially more expensive) to achieve with speaker solution.

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
I use the Sennheiser HD 4.40BT headset. Very comfortable and they have held up extremely well. Very long battery life and the sound is great. They sound better than the wired AKG headphones I have. I dont like that the mic is built in rather than on a boom but it works well, And if tou are a Prime member Amazon has them for 79 bucks.
Only thing is now there is a pop or click when the mic closes that wasnt there before. Discovered this in Discord the last time I was on. Others had mentioned it so now I am on the hunt for a replacement, hopefully I can find one that sounds as good as these and has a boom/swivel mic.

Forgot your password?