Aquila, Mercury or Corsair?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You're looking for a "general purpose" ship to run some cargo and explore the 'verse. The Corsair is cheapest, and has the most guns, but the least cargo space. The Mercury is probably the fastest, not much more than the Corvair in price, and has all those lovely computers. The Aquila cost the most but is still in the same price category (unlike the 600i and Carrack) and arguably the most adept at exploration of the three. Why choose one over another?

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
The Aquila never really appealed to me, I'm just not fond of the connie look in general. I like it's capabilities just have no interest in it's aesthetics.
I have a mercury, it ticks all my boxes, design, data running, some cargo.
I also bought a Corsair, the design intent makes me think of a bigger, meaner cutlass. Something that can find "objects of interest" and bring in the rest of the worker force.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
I hate one aspect in the Connie, yes I'm being picky and maybe it will change. I hate the computers that are in fixed position for your co-pilots. It's like night and day for your position, Captain seat gets a wide view and the co-pilots get stuck facing a monitor mostly. If this can change I'd love the Connie more. For me though I prefer the Corsair's interior layout and interesting pilot/co-pilot aspect of stacking. The guns are a big point for me too but I am not a fan of the 3rd wing. I personally don't like the Mercury at all, and yes again, it's personal taste on the matter really

**I'm sadly editing this already. After being shown alot of details on it, I no longer dislike the Mercury lol

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Instead of purchasing either of these options, buy a Freelancer DUR & then spend the rest on cold beer to enjoy during your gaming adventures. Cheers! 🍻 Beware of @Blind Owl hiding in your ship while running alcohol, or you might end up with lots of cargo containers, that will contain less cargo inside them. (He's a very clever OWL.)

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I have the Aquila and the mercury. I really am looking forward to the exploration aspect and the idea of data running sounds cool. I guess I'm waiting to see more opinions and comparisons for the corsair but the main theme that seems to be coming up is that it has more guns and as things stand now I can't hit shit anyway lol

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Instead of purchasing either of these options, buy a Freelancer DUR & then spend the rest on cold beer to enjoy during your gaming adventures. Cheers! 🍻 Beware of @Blind Owl hiding in your ship while running alcohol, or you might end up with lots of cargo containers, that will contain less cargo inside them. (He's a very clever OWL.)
I have the Freelancer Dur, Freelancer Max, Connie Aquila, and the Corvare. If I end up with cargo containers that way, I'll join him. There is nothing wrong with two testies sharing war stories over beer.

Major Templar

Space Marshal
Sep 6, 2014
RSI Handle
xTemplar
Each ship is a little different so you'll have to examine what you want in a ship.

Aquila
-Dedicated scanner for exploration
-Comes with Snub craft
-Comes with Ursa Rover
-Slow for size

Mercury
-Dedicated data gatherer
-Massive computer bank for data running
-Can't carry a Rover but likely can fit a Gravlev.
-Smuggler's hold
-Fast speed for size

Corsair
-Can carry Rover but doesn't come with one and it's either Rover or Cargo
-No mention of a scanner
-Abnormal amount of guns for explorer
-Can't find mention of speed

With that you could say if you are looking for more exploration over cargo, go Aquila. If you are looking for more cargo over exploration, go Mercury but understand you won't be doing deep exploration with it's scanner. If you want the gunboat explorer, go Corsair but knowing if you wanted a rover you would have to buy it yourself and you lose all cargo space by carrying one.

Honorable mention would be the DUR for exploration and use the rest saved to buy a Gravlev vehicle to explore around with.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The whole purpose for me... the reason I bought them is the Connie and the Corsare are exploration ships, smaller than the Carrac, but similar role and sensor suite. They have some teeth but aren't heavily armored. The Connie gives me a small fighter to do close range scouting too.
The Mercury is designed for more data running, and less exploration. It should be fast, and armored and armed. That's a little outside of my primary objective, but not totally out.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I do like beer. And I seem to be perpetually out. So yeah . . .
I have the Freelancer Dur, Freelancer Max, Connie Aquila, and the Corvare. If I end up with cargo containers that way, I'll join him. There is nothing wrong with two testies sharing war stories over beer.
I'll cheers to that!
For me the Mercury is the winner of these 3 followed by the Corsair. The Constellation interior is just stale and uninteresting because its one long cooridor. At least the Corsair has a few siderooms.
This. 100% this. The Connie is just so damn boring. As is the DUR. I want to love her, but damn . . .
Then alone comes the Mercury, and my dreams come to life. le sigh

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Why choose one over another?
Why choose?

-Dedicated scanner for exploration
-Comes with Snub craft
-Comes with Ursa Rover
-Dedicated data gatherer
-Massive computer bank for data running
-Smuggler's hold
-Can carry Rover but doesn't come with one and it's either Rover or Cargo
-No mention of a scanner (would be very handy for an exploration ship)
-Abnormal amount of guns for explorer
Combine all advantages. I'm more a fighter guy, but all the time shooting can become boring, so I'm looking for some secondary occupation

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Yes it does... You can fly it now. It's the only one of the three that isn't a pipe dream at the moment.
Honestly though, it is not the best designed ship, but that snub fighter gives it some advantage.
Without getting into semantics, the fact its flyable now is of no consequence, as theres no game currently.

As for Snub fighters, they are a waste of time, any ship with a snub bay should just have a normal small hangar for actual full blown small ships to dock in.

Either that, or give all snubs quantum and boost regen as standard.

Forgot your password?