Ares Ion is nerfed to crap in the PTU

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
They sure are getting more efficient provoking shitstorms. 2-3 per week seems to be the new desireable amount. Maybe they want to tire us out? Pacify the community by exhausting us into a state of apathy? And then gradually lift us back up until we reach civility?

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
They sure are getting more efficient provoking shitstorms. 2-3 per week seems to be the new desireable amount. Maybe they want to tire us out? Pacify the community by exhausting us into a state of apathy? And then gradually lift us back up until we reach civility?
This has always been the plan, the increase frequency reflects the higher number of backers currently available.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
From my understanding they always wanted the Ares to be a large ship killer and not really a dog fighter killer.

This leads me to believe they want to keep the ship relatively maneuverable so it can at least evade dog fighting, while making it ineffective in stomping them.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I own both Inferno and Ion.
The Ion is my daily ship since 3.15, I do every bounty mission with it, thanks to it I can make up to 800k/hour the best days.
And I have to say I am not pissed by this change for one thing : dogfighting with it.

I guess some will say "hahaha dogfighting in an Ion" but yes that is possible if you are good at dogfighting in general and if you know the limits and weakness of your ship. And the fact that they increased the rate of fire, but with lower alpha, and a bit higher dps, is great news for me as a pvp fighter.

It wont change anything for farming, as I can usually score 100% of my shots on a PVE target as they are too dumb, but for pvp oh man I cant wait :)
A shot missed in pvp currently can be deadly because of the time it takes for the next shot. With better ROF, this is a game changer probably when fighting with this ship.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
From my understanding they always wanted the Ares to be a large ship killer and not really a dog fighter killer.
Glad in many ways that CIG is creating differentiated roles for smaller 'fighters'.

It creates room for them to build more of them for the game. And gives me more reason to have them.

Beyond that, I'm thinking it makes sense that an Ares would kill ships in the Redeemer-to-600i sized range.

For true capital ship killing, I look to the Perseus, for example. And the Ares is no Perseus.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
This has always been the plan, the increase frequency reflects the higher number of backers currently available.
The more I think about it the more likely it seems that this is indeed a balance pass on the community. And with the increased number of backers probably long overdue.

Can't wait for what's up next. Roadmap is already in maintenance 🤣

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
As for the video with the guy shooting forever with the new Ion, well, I want to know his setting for ESP and settings for the sensibility of the cone angle for aim assist (you can modify it close to 0 to make it look like all shots will miss it is easy, even when 100% centered on target, I can do the same if I want, and it seems to be the case here as the reticule is not adjusting when he had to move the ship again on target at 3'35'').

I'll have to try for myself, but I think from what I see that video is deliberatly a "fake" with modified settings to make the gun look bad (I mean here with malicious intention from someone pissed that used ESP with settings at minimum for assist, when by default it would have scored hits almost on all shots).

edit : installing PTU to test myself, seriously I dont believe any of this lol as I know it can be faked using settings.

Last edited:

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
As for the video with the guy shooting forever with the new Ion, well, I want to know his setting for ESP and settings for the sensibility of the cone angle for aim assist (you can modify it close to 0 to make it look like all shots will miss it is easy, even when 100% centered on target, I can do the same if I want, and it seems to be the case here as the reticule is not adjusting when he had to move the ship again on target at 3'35'').

I'll have to try for myself, but I think from what I see that video is deliberatly a "fake" with modified settings to make the gun look bad (I mean here with malicious intention from someone pissed that used ESP with settings at minimum for assist, when by default it would have scored hits almost on all shots).

edit : installing PTU to test myself, seriously I dont believe any of this lol as I know it can be faked using settings.
Not fake. Either the spread or the Aim Assist has been altered. Source - me, after several hours in PTU last night.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I'm with you on this @Ayeteeone, I think the Aim Assist has been altered in the video from that guy. When I meant fake, I meant maliciously altered :) I think the guy altered the damping curvature for ESP.

I have reduced mine close to 1 (1.1) as you can see under and I can still score a few hits on a moving target, and I'm not even zooming (unfortunate player in AC, in an Arrow so low profile at this distance).

View: https://youtu.be/T8YzBLuS4Tk

Btw my first Youtube ^^

So really, nothing to worry about, no nerf imbound exept for the Rate of Fire (and possibly the spread), and the no more one shot target ^^. I really like it now.

Last edited:

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
So it was pushed into the role it was designed to be in, sniping larger targets and not getting into small dogfights with faster ships. If it was designed to then it would have likely come with a giant shotgun as the main weapon.

So if you bought the Ion expecting this was going to be the magic bullet of dogfighters than you made a pretty bad assumption. Not all assumptions are bad however they indicate that you came to a predetermined answer without fully exploring the knowledge available to understand the situation. What I mean in this particular circumstance is that you bought the ship off of marketing information which is inherently deceptive. Compound that with the general knowledge that all ships are not finalized and balance passes are going to happen, not just to the weapons but when the next flight balance pass is made the Ares ships might get adjustments to it's speed and maneuverability.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
@Montoya it has always been difficult to hit small target at long range with ESP. in general ppl sniping don't use ESP and they use zooming.

Also Vandull swarm targets (blade here? haven't checked) have low profile. So if the ESP assist is modified, and if the guy is not perfectly centered on target, because of those 2 factors, shots will always miss, this is the case in Live or in PTU, no difference.

The difference now with 3.16 is that you don't one shot anymore, and the alpha is weaker thus you need to score more hits on target.
On targets like mid sized ships (vanguards, freelancers, valkyries in bounties) there is no difference for landing shots from distance from what I see, it feels the same as in Live. You might even kill a bit faster as the DPS is slightly better.

But if the spread has been changed in 3.16, I can't verify that.

Last edited:

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
So its not as bad as shown?
He's out near the end of the range, so with that in mind what he shows seems pretty accurate. Roughly speaking anything over 1km I can be inside the pip and watch 4 or 5 shots slip past the target. Getting closer helps of course, but that's not the Ion's forte.

The Ion will work fine in it's stated role of hosing down capital shields. Whether that is an enjoyable experience/role is widely debatable. For me, it is not - the power and precision it had has been replaced by spray-n-pray dps, and I find that routinely boring.

For context, I am also that guy who brings a bolt action rifle to a gunfight. So to each their own.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?