BMM keeping its Cargo space!

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
By the time 2023 rolls around, the BMM will end up being released as a whacky-flailing-inflatable-arm-flailing-tubeman on a unicycle with 4 SCU and LTI for the sake of fitting on a small pad. Set in stone, your SCU is not. If they want to keep the silhouette similar at all to the concept, think of how much they'd have to shrink the body to make the wide arms fit within the airspace of a large pad while staying proportional. It's going to be a bit of a crapshoot, I think, if they hold fast to either that pad-size commitment or the overall appearance of the ship itself. I'm personally hoping that they choose to err on the side of Chongus, pads be damned. I can set down in the wilderness somewhere and fire up a trade beacon for free, then use my presumably parasitic Banu Defender to patrol the airspace and keep my wares safe. No need for station security OR a no-fire zone (Might help me sell some off the book type items as well)

Moral of the story: Down with pads, long live the thicc and meaty.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I dont for a second believe either:

That the BMM will be delivered with 3500 SCU, John has already said before today its not going to happen, so whats changed?

That the Kraken Privateer will ONLY have 750 SCU.

If both figures hold, then the BMM renders the Privateer completely pointless, not the Kraken itself, but the *Privateer* variant.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
My guess is they'll make the arms sweep forward more or actuate similar to the Defender, and fatten the fuselage.
I'm very glad they've decided to keep the cargo capacity, but with all the other things they implied they're going try to keep for the latest re-concept of the BMM, it is a little scary what downsides they may decide to implement to balance it out.

That the BMM will be delivered with 3500 SCU, John has already said before today its not going to happen, so whats changed?

If both figures hold, then the BMM renders the Privateer completely pointless, not the Kraken itself, but the *Privateer* variant.
The BMM doesn't have landing pads and the Kraken has a lot more firepower.

As for what has changed, they probably realized that far more people are interested in the cargo capacity than people interested in a full suite of vendor kiosks.

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul

Many reasons they could have changed their minds, we can only guess and go by the latest info on anything really.

On the privateer side, its biggest advantage are the landing pads, it can receive/trade/transport all while staying put...
Also who knows what else is possible with the landing pads, besides the internal 750scu, maybe it will be able to use the pads for external cargo pads as well? That would be huge.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
The Kraken-P is not a generic cargo ship, so the comparison is moot.

All signs indicate that the Kraken-P has both 1) general cargo storage, and 2) retail shop 'storage'.

By retail shop storage, i mean that every one of the Kraken's various stores will have some capacity to store the goods that are being sold there, separate from main cargo.

I'm familiar with other MMOs where player-run vendors are a thing, and see it like that. We'll have stock items in 'shop storage' on sale, which is different than general inventory elsewhere.

In this regard, the Privateer is NOT 'completely pointless'. Its storage may just be in a form in which other players can interact with it (buy it) differently. Unlike storage of a base Kraken.

Remember, LTI on ships today doesnt mean that it is preserving the best outfitting of ships that we can possibly achieve in game ....

Privateers will be useful when someone blows up, loses their prized ship build out, doesnt want to fly across half the galaxy to find the parts again, and can just get them from a Privateer in the fleet.

By comparison, the regular Kraken is just a Hull C with an added landing pad and guns. Nothing more special. It just an armed hauler to park ships on. The Privateer is more.

Oh and moving forward, everyone that says Kraken-P's are completely useless hereby pledges to pay double when buying items on my ship! LOL.

Last edited:

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
I think the guy was smoking something really good when he said the SCU will be concept. That's 3584 SCU. It's like trying to fit 7 Caterpillar into the BMM. Not going to happen haha.

Citadel

Grand Admiral
Sep 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Citadel_MD
I think the guy was smoking something really good when he said the SCU will be concept. That's 3584 SCU. It's like trying to fit 7 Caterpillar into the BMM. Not going to happen haha.
Well damn I never thought of it like that lol - So exactly how big would the BMM need to grow to be able to accommodate 3k worth of SCU?

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar

Do not forget the Privateer shops' SCU. 10 shops with 189 SCU each, 1890 total plus the 750 SCU of cargo bay, that makes 2640 SCU total.

The BMM 3500 SCU includes also its shop and general cargo. We do not know yet how it is segmented between them.

Citadel

Grand Admiral
Sep 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Citadel_MD
I was more interested in the thing he said before the BMM...The Polaris has grown from concept (still in the 100s) and the hangar is now to spec... so 160-190m or so now for the polaris?
I was half paying attention to the stream until I heard that right at the end lol.

Still in the 100s makes sense though, there was no way the Polaris could accommodate all the features listed without growing in size.

I would guess it has to be the size of the Kraken to hold 3.5k SCU.
That makes sense I guess, but damn does that mean that the BMM will not only be a beast becoming Kraken sized. But also eventually end up being Kraken priced as well...

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I was more interested in the thing he said before the BMM...The Polaris has grown from concept (still in the 100s) and the hangar is now to spec... so 160-190m or so now for the polaris?
That would be awesome. They once said that if the hangar is now to spec, like they did for the 890, it would accommodate a Mantis. We will see!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Plz dont nerf my BMM after all these years of waiting. :/

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
If the BMM is really going to keep over 3kSCU cargo space, I'm suspecting it'll end up in the $600 range eventually.
Yes, there are hulls that will have more cargo space for cheaper, but there are no other ships with internal cargo space of over a thousand that would be cheaper than $1000, and BMM does a lot of things that hulls won't... not to mention I'm also guessing the Hulls will go up in price as well.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Well damn I never thought of it like that lol - So exactly how big would the BMM need to grow to be able to accommodate 3k worth of SCU?
Each SCU is 1x1x1 meters or so. So the BMM would need to have a cargo hold the size of 16x16x16 meters. Or 16x8x32 meters. Or any other configuration as long as the end result is 3500 or so.
It's perfectly doable. The ship's own dimensions are 160x160x65, though that includes the wings. But you can just make the main body fatter and the wings shorter.

EDIT: Or was SCU 1.25x1.25x1.25? Well, that'd still make it just 20x10x40 meters, which is still perfectly viable inside a ship this large.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Exactly @FZD I agree...

Think 3 Dimensional when calculating cargo, not 2 dimensional... as in cubic meters, not square meter.

And just a thought, is everyone else assuming BMM have one level flat cargo area...???

They can stack on several levels on height to and they can have several cargo areas above each other stacked etc..,

As BMM is more than high enough for it.. I see no problem why they couldn't fit 3K+ cargo in it, if it grow a bit in size as they say.

There will be plenty of room for the cargo and room over for other stuff.

And who say it have to fit wing inside the landing pads.... I would love to see which pad the Endeavor, Hull C-E, Kraken, Idris javelin fit on .. oh right they dock.

Then there is nothing stopping them from adding one larger size landing pad or hangar than anyone we have now, or a pad that fit unconventional ships octagonal pads etc...

Just saying.. 🍻

Last edited:

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Each SCU is 1x1x1 meters or so. So the BMM would need to have a cargo hold the size of 16x16x16 meters. Or 16x8x32 meters. Or any other configuration as long as the end result is 3500 or so.
It's perfectly doable. The ship's own dimensions are 160x160x65, though that includes the wings. But you can just make the main body fatter and the wings shorter.

EDIT: Or was SCU 1.25x1.25x1.25? Well, that'd still make it just 20x10x40 meters, which is still perfectly viable inside a ship this large.
No one doubts that it has the volume for it. The problem is interior space and how SC uses them. By your calculation, the Caterpillar could hold about 1.7k SCU, but we all know SC didn't do that to the Caterpillar. Half the wings and nose can't be used, we have hallways, flight deck, crew quarters, and the ship exterior walls have a lot of thickness.

The Hull series can have a lot more SCU because it's exterior.

Edit:
Just take a look at the Carrack, that thing has almost the same volume as the BMM (wings & nose don't count). And CIG only found .5k SCU for it. The interior space is a lot smaller than the volume of the ship.

The Carrack concept was a smaller ship with a SCU of almost 3k. Since then it has grown in size but the SCU shrunk to .5k.

I would give the BMM a maximum of 2k SCU. But it's more likely about 1.5k when released. Just my opinion we will see in a couple of years :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Mich Angel
Forgot your password?