BritizenCon 2018 (April 21st)

Will you be coming to Britizencon 2018?

• Yes, Chris Roberts draped provocatively across the nose of an Aurora couldn't keep me away!

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Maybe, the spirit is willing but the significant other may not be...

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • No, I woke up naked in the hotel parking lot two days after the last event - never again!

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I've booked it, I'm staying in the Raddison Blu.
I will be driving up from the M1 Junction 22, then via the A50/Stoke, M6 J16.
I may stay at my aunties in St Helens the night before

Reactions: aeloy.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Just catching up on this thread. It's less than one month to go and I can't wait!! **Edit... Okay, it's a little more than one month...*** I'll be staying at the Radisson blue.

I'll arrive very early in the morning on the Saturday. If anyone's in for a proper breakfast around town let me know!!

May we arrange a meet up right before the event?
What time does your flight/train get in. As it all starts at 10am it may be better to get Breakfast in the airport terminal. The hotel is next to the airport. The airport is a few miles outside of town, I'm not even sure where the nearest pub is. Ill ask the OP

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
http://www.britizencon.uk/ - the fan organised British convention will be hitting it's third year.

I've just booked my ticket, so barring unforeseen circumstances I'll be there, so who else is coming?

We had a decent turnout from Test in 2017 and it would be great to meet up with everyone again. Even better if we have some new faces. This was great in 2016, and even better in 2017. 2018 should be a complete blast, especially since we'll have 3.x out and lots of in-game experiences to natter about.

Brian Chambers has confirmed attendance for the third year, and Erin Roberts has also confirmed that he intends to attend. In 2017 we had around double the attendance of 2016, and if we have a similar increase this upcoming year then it should be even more fun.
Which pub do they go to afterwards for bar citizen Cloud?

aeloy.

Captain
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
aeloy
What time does your flight/train get in. As it all starts at 10am it may be better to get Breakfast in the airport terminal. The hotel is next to the airport. The airport is a few miles outside of town, I'm not even sure where the nearest pub is. Ill ask the OP
Which pub do they go to afterwards for bar citizen Cloud?
My flight comes in at 07:30am. My plan was to ask the hotel if I can have breakfast there so I can go to the venue straight afterwards. What do you think about just meeting up in front of the hotel?

ANYBODY ELSE IN FOR THAT???

From what I've heard from their discord, they are still on preparations for the after show BarCitizen. Nothing offical yet, but we'll be informed the next days.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Guys,
If I travel up on the day or stay at my relatives nearby either way I will not be there before about 0900. I will let you know nearer the time.
I do not have a Test T shirt yet, no doubt some of you will have so we will be easy to find.

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
This was the amazing trophy created for the dogfighting 2017 competition by our very own @RiceMaiden

This was actually a bit of sticking point with me. BritizenCon and I had talked and I offered to donate them a trophy as long as they paid for shipping. Now granted I don't know all of the cultural differences between US and UK but I figured a trophy was given to the winner... atleast that's how I've viewed it in most cases (a couple major sports leagues have a huge trophy that they just add names to).

After a discussion with the winner from last years event, it turns out that BritizenCon kept the trophy... much to my surprise. In prior discussions I had offered to donate more trophies for future events... so why they didn't give it out to the winner kinda baffles me. The winner and I eventually talked and I offered to build him (for free) a replica of the trophy he won but shipping costs ultimately kept that from going through.

I can only assume one of two scenarios occurred. Either a) shipping costs (~$55 USD) were such that they didn't want to repay that every year or b) being such a unique SC piece of fan art, its value far exceeded the desire to give it up.

In terms of shipping, I didn't think the shipping costs were unreasonable... and for a crowdfunded event, not entirely out of the question to add to expenses. I will be the first to admit that I don't have the full story... I just put myself in the winners shoes and think the whole situation kinda sucks.

ALSO, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IF YOU SEE IT OFF THE STAND LIKE PICTURED PLEASE FIX IT. YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This was actually a bit of sticking point with me. BritizenCon and I had talked and I offered to donate them a trophy as long as they paid for shipping. Now granted I don't know all of the cultural differences between US and UK but I figured a trophy was given to the winner... atleast that's how I've viewed it in most cases (a couple major sports leagues have a huge trophy that they just add names to).

After a discussion with the winner from last years event, it turns out that BritizenCon kept the trophy... much to my surprise. In prior discussions I had offered to donate more trophies for future events... so why they didn't give it out to the winner kinda baffles me. The winner and I eventually talked and I offered to build him (for free) a replica of the trophy he won but shipping costs ultimately kept that from going through.

I can only assume one of two scenarios occurred. Either a) shipping costs (~$55 USD) were such that they didn't want to repay that every year or b) being such a unique SC piece of fan art, its value far exceeded the desire to give it up.

In terms of shipping, I didn't think the shipping costs were unreasonable... and for a crowdfunded event, not entirely out of the question to add to expenses. I will be the first to admit that I don't have the full story... I just put myself in the winners shoes and think the whole situation kinda sucks.

ALSO, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IF YOU SEE IT OFF THE STAND LIKE PICTURED PLEASE FIX IT. YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION.

Serious bummer, dude. Do you still have contact with the winner? I'd be more than happy to chip in $10 to get the replica to them.

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Serious bummer, dude. Do you still have contact with the winner? I'd be more than happy to chip in $10 to get the replica to them.
I'll see if I still have his contact information. My new smaller models might be cheaper on shipping. Will have to see something smaller would still be appealing to him.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'll see if I still have his contact information. My new smaller models might be cheaper on shipping. Will have to see something smaller would still be appealing to him.
Fingers crossed, maybe they replaced the model with another prize, but c'mon thats a damn decent model.

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Fingers crossed, maybe they replaced the model with another prize, but c'mon thats a damn decent model.
It just left me baffled since I had discussed donating 3 trophies for this years event (1st, 2nd, 3rd). However they were never in contact after last year. I just assumed they were gonna use the same trophy til the end of time.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It just left me baffled since I had discussed donating 3 trophies for this years event (1st, 2nd, 3rd). However they were never in contact after last year. I just assumed they were gonna use the same trophy til the end of time.
'tis weird.

If you are still willing to make a replacement prize and the winner is happy to accept it i'd be happy to chip in on / cover the shipping depending on what I can afford come payday at the end of the week.

Can't let a winner go without their prize. :)

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I will make it my sworn duty to win this trophy and get it out of their hands before they can reclaim .
The problems are;
1.I'm a Testie,
3. I will be drunk during the 'con' ( that's a given due to point 1).
5. Other people may take it more seriously than me,
9.I'm guessing that 100-150 people will attend, and I estimate my chances of winning at one million to one. The maths may seem off but its true.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
9.I'm guessing that 100-150 people will attend, and I estimate my chances of winning at one million to one. The maths may seem off but its true.
If I were a betting man i'd stick a quid on that.

aeloy.

Captain
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
aeloy
I will make it my sworn duty to win this trophy and get it out of their hands before they can reclaim .
The problems are;
1.I'm a Testie,
3. I will be drunk during the 'con' ( that's a given due to point 1).
5. Other people may take it more seriously than me,
Jeslyn and me are going to be the cheer leaders :P

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ

Last edited:
Forgot your password?