Coming anniversary sale.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I personally just like the look of the Retaliator and so it sits in my hanger waiting the day it will be fixed and usable.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I love my Tali. It is the ship that got me to get the game. :) It is also my endgame Bounty Hunter ship, well, at least that is the plan. :)

It just doesn't have much use now.

Jangmo

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Jangmo
I personally just like the look of the Retaliator and so it sits in my hanger waiting the day it will be fixed and usable.
After hearing J Crew talk about it on Friday I have less hope that it will be reworked in any major capacity now. Thinking im moving on from it this November :(

Reactions: Bambooza

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
After hearing J Crew talk about it on Friday I have less hope that it will be reworked in any major capacity now. Thinking im moving on from it this November :(
What did you hear that makes the Tali less useful?

Reactions: Scape and Bambooza

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
What did you hear that makes the Tali less useful?
He heard what's been the word for a while now, which is no plans for major rework. The only other thing I could think of is that Crew's phrasing made it sound like not all of the turrets would be able to be computer run? He did say he personally might give it more torpedoes which would be a positive.

IMO we are buying ships for the finished game, which is two if not three years away. That Tali will be modular and you'll be able to run cargo or use it as a dropship.

TL;DR Tali bro thinks Tali is a good ship. Stop bully plz.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
He heard what's been the word for a while now, which is no plans for major rework. The only other thing I could think of is that Crew's phrasing made it sound like not all of the turrets would be able to be computer run? He did say he personally might give it more torpedoes which would be a positive.

IMO we are buying ships for the finished game, which is two if not three years away. That Tali will be modular and you'll be able to run cargo or use it as a dropship.

TL;DR Tali bro thinks Tali is a good ship. Stop bully plz.
The Tali has the same computers as the Hammerhead. They said no more than 4 automated turrets on the Hammerhead in the Hammerhead q&a. So the Tali could have 4 out of 5 turrets automated, so a Tali runs with a crew of 2 or 3. That doesn't change with the latest video.

My issues with the Tali are simple and only one doesn't resolve itself by release:
  • The designed Combat role is to take large targets, and there aren't many in the verse.
  • All those engines and it accelerates like a pickup truck pulling an 18 wheeler trailer.
  • No cargo until modules are available.
  • In their current state turrets suck.
:)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
My issues with the Tali are simple and only one doesn't resolve itself by release:
  • The designed Combat role is to take large targets, and there aren't many in the verse.
  • All those engines and it accelerates like a pickup truck pulling an 18 wheeler trailer.
  • No cargo until modules are available.
  • In their current state turrets suck.
:)
I'll add a couple. I love my Tali it's one of the best and most purposeful looking ships in the game.
1) It's very undergunned, now that they have upgraded even small non military ships to S3/S4 (penguin/300 series/buccaneer) the turrets on the tally are woefully too small for a MILITARY deep space ship. (add to this as you say, that turrets suck and its even worse)
2) Talking of guns, the fact that it has zero pilot controlled weapons is a mistake. Really should have 2 x S4 on the nose.
3) The 5 torpedoes is poor when a ship of that size should be able to fit more in. Having 2 torpedo in one and 3 in another launcher is a total waste of space. The interior is wasteful.
4) It's very expensive when you add on the cost of the modules - you could buy an eclipse for bombing, a freelancer max for cargo and still have some spare for a seperate fighter.

Other than that I loves it!

ScreenShot0082.jpg

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'll add a couple. I love my Tali it's one of the best and most purposeful looking ships in the game.
1) It's very undergunned, now that they have upgraded even small non military ships to S3/S4 (penguin/300 series/buccaneer) the turrets on the tally are woefully too small for a MILITARY deep space ship. (add to this as you say, that turrets suck and its even worse)
2) Talking of guns, the fact that it has zero pilot controlled weapons is a mistake. Really should have 2 x S4 on the nose.
3) The 5 torpedoes is poor when a ship of that size should be able to fit more in. Having 2 torpedo in one and 3 in another launcher is a total waste of space. The interior is wasteful.
4) It's very expensive when you add on the cost of the modules - you could buy an eclipse for bombing, a freelancer max for cargo and still have some spare for a seperate fighter.

It is a bit under-gunned but when you take it for its role as a strategic torpedo ship and add a 3 fighters for protection it becomes a huge risk to ships like the Idris (especially if they increase the torpedo count).

I am Ok with the pilot not having control of any weapons, in fact, I think all of the multi-crew ships shouldn't give the pilot access to any forward-facing only weapons. If you want to bring weapons onto the target as a pilot you should be flying a fighter not attempting to dog fight in a large ship.

Reactions: Scape and BUTUZ

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

View attachment 13723
It isn't a gun boat. The Lancaster Bomber had 30 caliber machineguns. 10 30 caliber machine guns were carried, max. In later models the rear quad mount was replaced, sometimes, with a pair of 50 cals. And the belly turret was generally removed.

The B-17 carried (G model) 13 50 cal machineguns. Many with very limited fields of fire.
I mention those two because both are in the literature as inspiration. In neither of those two, did the pilot have a gun. Guns were the same as the standard fighters of the day. (The Tali having a mix of size 2 and size 3)

The P51 carried 6 50 caliber machineguns and the P47 8. By the end of the war the F4U Corsair, the FW190, the P38 all carried 20mm cannons. (Your equivalent to size 4 guns). The P51, a light fighter, had half the guns of a B-17, all of them pointing the same direction and considering the central turret on a Lancaster went unmanned, more firepower than a Lancaster.

Note that if a blade can slave guns to the pilot, as was mentioned in the episode, that, potentially, gives the pilot 4 size 3 guns.

The guns are not why you are there. If you are using the guns, generally, you messed up. :) Deliver your torpedoes and run away, like a B-17.

The Penguin is a military ship. :) The cargo hold, and I believe the sleeping area, is supposed to be ammo storage.

There are 4 torps in the front and 2 in the rear. Given the size of the torps and depending on how much space the launching mechanism requires, you might be able to fit three more torps in the current size. Considering two torps smokes anything short of a Hammerhead (that takes 4) and one torp takes anything smaller than a Vanguard, how many torps do you think you need?

Before missiles went all buggy on us, unlike the Eclipse, you could lock and fire all 6 in one salvo. Now I have a difficult enough time getting one away :) but that isn't the fault of the Tali, I have the same issue with the Gladiator.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
To close out the initial discussion, it looks like the Connie wins. Not because it is the best choice on the list, given the current meta it isn't, but I feel if I get too used to flying something like a Freelancer, I will have to get used to flying something slow all over again. :)

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
To close out the initial discussion, it looks like the Connie wins. Not because it is the best choice on the list, given the current meta it isn't, but I feel if I get too used to flying something like a Freelancer, I will have to get used to flying something slow all over again. :)
But which Connie?

We can still argue!

I can somehow bring up the Retaliator again!?

Please?

Jk mate glad you're set. See you in the verse.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It isn't a gun boat. The Lancaster Bomber had 30 caliber machineguns. 10 30 caliber machine guns were carried, max. In later models the rear quad mount was replaced, sometimes, with a pair of 50 cals. And the belly turret was generally removed.

The B-17 carried (G model) 13 50 cal machineguns. Many with very limited fields of fire.
I mention those two because both are in the literature as inspiration. In neither of those two, did the pilot have a gun. Guns were the same as the standard fighters of the day. (The Tali having a mix of size 2 and size 3)
An aircraft of that era that had a great reputation for offensive and defensive capabilities was the Short Sunderland (Mk III). The pilot had 4 forward firing guns, the craft itself a coastal patrol and bomber flying boat, while other crew manned nose, tail and top-side hatch machine guns in later models changing to a dorsal turret. In total 16 machine guns, the nickname from foes: The flying porcupine.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
An aircraft of that era that had a great reputation for offensive and defensive capabilities was the Short Sunderland (Mk III). The pilot had 4 forward firing guns, the craft itself a coastal patrol and bomber flying boat, while other crew manned nose, tail and top-side hatch machine guns in later models changing to a dorsal turret. In total 16 machine guns, the nickname from foes: The flying porcupine.
In the Pacific theater, where the target was shipping the B25 was equipped with 8 and sometimes as many as 12 pilot controlled forward facing guns. In that configuration the bombs were definittely secondary though.

Neither of those were the inspiration for the Tali though. :)

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The Freelancer isn't exactly fast compared to the Connie, but which one to use is an individual thing. I use the Connie regularly, but I also use a Freelancer DUR or Max, and sometimes a Cutlass Black.

For some reason, CIG seems to think that a larger ship should be slower just because it's larger. That should be dependent on thrust of the engines, not the size of the ship. But it's the same for everyone so I don't worry about it, it's just kind of "yet another curiosity".

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The Freelancer isn't exactly fast compared to the Connie, but which one to use is an individual thing. I use the Connie regularly, but I also use a Freelancer DUR or Max, and sometimes a Cutlass Black.

For some reason, CIG seems to think that a larger ship should be slower just because it's larger. That should be dependent on thrust of the engines, not the size of the ship. But it's the same for everyone so I don't worry about it, it's just kind of "yet another curiosity".
Ya I agree but it was done for game play reason to allow for fighters to catch larger ships and engage them.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
For pure freighters I might agree wholesale, but I like the idea of larger ships being quick...adds an "oh shit" factor to the verse. Small fish in a big pond kind of thing.
True, but then you couldn't have the epic StarWars battles with large ships slowly closing in on each other's firing range and swarms of fighters and bombers interacting with each other as well as the slow-moving capital ships. While it is unrealistic it does give lots of gameplay options and epic moments that outweigh the breaking from reality.

Forgot your password?