Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
Portugal with 382 more cases, 90% in the Lisbon region. Which is uncomfortable since I live right near it, with a bootcamp course starting up in a few days. I hate this, but I might opt for remote options.

I only leave for groceries and taking the trash out, but no joke, when I do leave home I see so many people using masks on they're elbows instead of on they're faces... And there is also people going to the beaches, which is mind boggling.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Here is a fucked up example of how you can do everything right, but if just a few cases are still present, it can undo months of lockdowns!

Israel went pretty hardcore with lock downs, Israeli citizens returning to the country had 2wks of quarantine, public events, gyms, bars and beaches were shut down.

Extreme measures like using cellphone meta data to contact people who were within range of an infected person were used.

It went well, the cases dropped and things started to re-open gradually.

Cases remained low as gyms opened, bars, the nightlife came back, but here's the thing, you can't get back to normal life, at least not in 2020!

1594059451685.png

It only takes a few infectious cases to unwind everything!

Bars, clubs, beaches and gyms are now locking down again, for a second time.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Here is a fucked up example of how you can do everything right, but if just a few cases are still present, it can undo months of lockdowns!

Israel went pretty hardcore with lock downs, Israeli citizens returning to the country had 2wks of quarantine, public events, gyms, bars and beaches were shut down.

Extreme measures like using cellphone meta data to contact people who were within range of an infected person were used.

It went well, the cases dropped and things started to re-open gradually.

Cases remained low as gyms opened, bars, the nightlife came back, but here's the thing, you can't get back to normal life, at least not in 2020!

View attachment 17891

It only takes a few infectious cases to unwind everything!

Bars, clubs, beaches and gyms are now locking down again, for a second time.
Yeah that sucks.

On a personal note the government here has given my industry the go ahead to go back to work. Doesn't matter what the government says though.

No union production has actually started yet due to cases rising in California (we're linked to them by an umbilical cord) and the fact that no insurance companies want to insure productions for covid related complications at the moment.

FML. Might have to go flip burgers soon.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - reports from around the world from today, Monday 6th of July:

- US: As deaths pass 130,000 Governor of New York calls on Trump to not be a "co-conspirator" of the contagion and that he is "enabling" the virus by continuing to be a cheerleader rather than facing up to the reality of the situation.

- UK: Government abandons transparency by culling daily number of people tested data from daily update dashboard. The information has not been available for over a month on a temporary basis, however this has now been made permanent and will not be returning. Government puts this down to the data only recording a persons first test and now medical and care home staff are routinely tested it was skewing figures. Commenters comment they could just publish two figures, the number of new testees and the number of reoccurring tests. Commenters also comment that pubs and restaurants reopened on two days ago (Saturday 4th July) so this move looks more like attempting to avoid accountability if easing of lockdown results in more tests which will be the first indicator of higher transmission before more cases and more deaths.

- Australia: Boarder closed between the areas of Victoria and New South Wales.

- India: Country passes Russia to third place for highest number of cases and climbing, Brazil still second, USA still first with Russia now fourth.

- France: Deaths up by 29 since Friday, with only 548 cases in hospitals with the number continuing to fall despite easing of restrictions.

- Wales: Zero new deaths reported in a day since March.

- Mongolia: Two cases of Bubonic Plague reported, world advised not to be too worried as condition is treatable with antibiotics and apparently there are 100 cases a year.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
COVID Catharsis Corner - reports from around the world from today, Monday 6th of July:

- US: As deaths pass 130,000 Governor of New York calls on Trump to not be a "co-conspirator" of the contagion and that he is "enabling" the virus by continuing to be a cheerleader rather than facing up to the reality of the situation.

- UK: Government abandons transparency by culling daily number of people tested data from daily update dashboard. The information has not been available for over a month on a temporary basis, however this has now been made permanent and will not be returning. Government puts this down to the data only recording a persons first test and now medical and care home staff are routinely tested it was skewing figures. Commenters comment they could just publish two figures, the number of new testees and the number of reoccurring tests. Commenters also comment that pubs and restaurants reopened on two days ago (Saturday 4th July) so this move looks more like attempting to avoid accountability if easing of lockdown results in more tests which will be the first indicator of higher transmission before more cases and more deaths.

- Australia: Boarder closed between the areas of Victoria and New South Wales.

- India: Country passes Russia to third place for highest number of cases and climbing, Brazil still second, USA still first with Russia now fourth.

- France: Deaths up by 29 since Friday, with only 548 cases in hospitals with the number continuing to fall despite easing of restrictions.

- Wales: Zero new deaths reported in a day since March.

- Mongolia: Two cases of Bubonic Plague reported, world advised not to be too worried as condition is treatable with antibiotics and apparently there are 100 cases a year.
Gotta start adding in Canada updates @NaffNaffBobFace! I mean Mongolia is more important than us? I am disappoint. 😐

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Gotta start adding in Canada updates @NaffNaffBobFace! I mean Mongolia is more important than us? I am disappoint. 😐
The only thing I could find for Canada for today is that the president declined a trip to the White House to celebrate a new open trade deal between the US, Canada and Mexico and the reasons given were less middle finger and more he just had previous plans.

That said I only look at the daily live reports from two UK websites because I am lazy. If you find any interesting reports please don't hesitate to share 🙂

• o7
Reactions: Aramsolari

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The only thing I could find for Canada for today is that the president declined a trip to the White House to celebrate a new open trade deal between the US, Canada and Mexico and the reasons given were less middle finger and more he just had previous plans.

That said I only look at the daily live reports from two UK websites because I am lazy. If you find any interesting reports please don't hesitate to share 🙂
Lies!

I get it. Justin Trudeau is a girly man compared to Genghis Khan!

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit

This president is a tropical Trump, overall trying to publicly diminish the covid danger level. Started saying this is just a "little flu" and that his history as an athlete (picard palm face) would keep him safe, and goes about in public without mask and shaking hands. He imported an stupid amount of chloroquine, even though the minister of health was against the enforced use on public hospitals (obviously this minister was removed from position after this).

Brazil is worst than they tell. One of my friend mentions lots of people having "sudden" deaths that will not be diagnosed as covid (not saying all of those are, but no testing makes it... shady). But these happen on poor neighborhoods.

Anyway, they can't even keep a minister of education (the last one escaped to the US while using his position than resigned).

- - - -

The pandemic really is here to show how very little preparation most of the world have to deal with the machine when it stops working as intended.

UPDATE: He has COVID. And what does he have to say?

"I'm fine, I'm normal. Compared to yesterday [Monday], I'm fine. I'm even in the mood for a walk, but I'm not going to do it on medical advice, but I'm fine"

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

This president is a tropical Trump, overall trying to publicly diminish the covid danger level. Started saying this is just a "little flu" and that his history as an athlete (picard palm face) would keep him safe, and goes about in public without mask and shaking hands. He imported an stupid amount of chloroquine, even though the minister of health was against the enforced use on public hospitals (obviously this minister was removed from position after this).

Brazil is worst than they tell. One of my friend mentions lots of people having "sudden" deaths that will not be diagnosed as covid (not saying all of those are, but no testing makes it... shady). But these happen on poor neighborhoods.

Anyway, they can't even keep a minister of education (the last one escaped to the US while using his position than resigned).

- - - -

The pandemic really is here to show how very little preparation most of the world have to deal with the machine when it stops working as intended.

UPDATE: He has COVID. And what does he have to say?

"I'm fine, I'm normal. Compared to yesterday [Monday], I'm fine. I'm even in the mood for a walk, but I'm not going to do it on medical advice, but I'm fine"
By virtue of being a major world leader, he has the best healthcare possible and will probably survive. He'll survive and go off about how only a strong man like he would beat it. It's gonna be insufferable. 🙄

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - reports from around the world from today Tuesday 7th of July:

- UK: Anti establishment bakery accidentally included in widespread government advertising campaign "Safe Summer" designed to convince citizens not to be silly bastards over Summer lockdown restriction easing during the coming months. The bakery had previously created bread bearing the slogan "Fuck Boris" during the last election. This is either an example of zero situational awareness from the government, or an example of the people doing the work being finally so fed up with the MP's at the top pissing about they are putting the boot in any way they can. Considering the current circumstances, I'd much rather it be the latter.

- Brazil: President tests positive for COVID-19, reveals he has been taking hydroxychloroquine. It is unclear if he was taking it before he started showing symptoms as a preventative (which didn't work), or if he has started since.

- US: 54 hospitals in Florida report their intensive care wards are full.

- UK: Office of National Statistics reveals only 22% of people testing positive had symptoms on the day of testing leaving 78% as pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic carriers.

- Italy: As new outbreaks emerge, health minister suggests making refusal of treatment a sectionable offense.

- New Zealand: Politician admits to leaking list of personal details of all currently active cases of COVID-19 in the country to the media. The media apparently chose not to publish any of the details. The Politicians reason was to expose the countries current response to the pandemic. An unwitting accomplice has stepped down from the charity body that put them in a position to be able to get the information for them, and the move had been described as "deeply unethical."

- UK: At least four pubs have reported that they are to reclose following positive COVID tests of staff or customers. Pubs currently are only able to offer table service and must take contact details for the track and trace service to be handed over in the event of a positive test.

- US: Republican National Convention (due to occur in Florida soon) organizers to require mandatory COVID testing for all attendees.

- Canada: Two American visitors fined $1000 Canadian each for breaking travel quarantine rules which required them to shelter in place for 14 days, having been spotted out and about. Potential personal punishments include fines up to $750,000 Canadian and 6 months in prison.

Last edited:

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
By virtue of being a major world leader, he has the best healthcare possible and will probably survive. He'll survive and go off about how only a strong man like he would beat it. It's gonna be insufferable. 🙄
He already is, kinda. He just said covid is "like the rain - everyone will catch it" and that young people have near zero chance to die.

And yeah, much like Boris Johnson, these guys are covered. Hopefully Brazil (and everyone else) takes a hard left towards better efforts.

- Canada: Two American visitors fined $1000 Canadian each for breaking travel quarantine rules which required them to shelter in place for 14 days, having been spotted out and about. Potential personal punishments include fines up to $750,000 Canadian and 6 months in prison.
DAMN, you show them, Canada!

Reactions: Aramsolari

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
DAMN, you show them, Canada!
Technically the border is still closed. If you're coming up from the US, you'll only allowed in if you're a critical worker (ie. medical). People have been circumventing that by saying that that they're on their way to Alaska and have no intention of really stopping in Canada. There was a case of a group from Texas that was out and about in the Banff (World class attraction in the Rockies) with no PPE and bragging to their server at a restaurant about how they convinced the border guards to let them in. They weren't really practicing social distancing and definitely didn't quarantine themselves for 2 weeks. Kinda uncool if you ask me. We operate on an honor system and trust folks to do the right thing.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Here is a huge problem --> Florida ICU units are hitting max capacity:

This was the problem that led to the high death rate in Italy.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Technically the border is still closed. If you're coming up from the US, you'll only allowed in if you're a critical worker (ie. medical). People have been circumventing that by saying that that they're on their way to Alaska and have no intention of really stopping in Canada. There was a case of a group from Texas that was out and about in the Banff (World class attraction in the Rockies) with no PPE and bragging to their server at a restaurant about how they convinced the border guards to let them in. They weren't really practicing social distancing and definitely didn't quarantine themselves for 2 weeks. Kinda uncool if you ask me. We operate on an honor system and trust folks to do the right thing.
Canada should hit 'em where it really hurts: in the Health Insurance.

Displaying that kind of behavior in a pandemic is akin to chainsaw juggling while sword swallowing: i.e. Something no insurer is going to cover. Charge the full $750,000 fines to their health insurer in every instance. Canada gets a buch of money to continue treating those who need it and the quarantine breakers get a permanent black mark against their name with insurers that says "Don't cover these guys, they juggle chainsaws." which in real terms is something that will reduce their lifespan because 'Merica.

Any US citizen knowing their beloved health insurance is at risk would then think twice before breaking the rules.

I just like to think creative. 😇

Reactions: Vavrik and Gambit

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Canada should hit 'em where it really hurts: in the Health Insurance.

Displaying that kind of behavior in a pandemic is akin to chainsaw juggling while sword swallowing: i.e. Something no insurer is going to cover. Charge the full $750,000 fines to their health insurer in every instance. Canada gets a buch of money to continue treating those who need it and the quarantine breakers get a permanent black mark against their name with insurers that says "Don't cover these guys, they juggle chainsaws." which in real terms is something that will reduce their lifespan because 'Merica.

Any US citizen knowing their beloved health insurance is at risk would then think twice before breaking the rules.

I just like to think creative. 😇
$750k? Honestly I'll be happy with a $2k fine per person per group and maybe a one year ban from entering. 😜

Forgot your password?