Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
It almost looks like an error. But thats one hell of a spike in unemployment claims if ive ever seen one. And I know not all people laid off have filed.

It's true. Up here in Canuckistan we had almost a million applications for Employment Insurance payments in two weeks. Same time last year it was about 40k

Reactions: Sraika

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK update for 26th March: DISCLAIMER - Although the confirmed cases is roughly 24 hours worth moving from the 25th to the 26th, the number of deaths is only form 9am to 5pm on the 25th - only 8 hours worth and not rolling into the 26th - so that part of the dataset is not neccecerily comparative of the rest of the graph, the gap between reported numbers dosn't seem to be remaining the same so the next set of info may see an even more drastic spike than we may have expected:

11,658 total confirmed positive, 578 total fatalities.

Chartorama26-03-20.jpg

UK police today received the okay to fine fools up to £60 for being in groups in the lockdown.

Indications in the UK are coughing at people and other actions that could be regarded as intent to spread / threaten people with the prospect of being infected will now treated as a serious crime.

London indicates they are running out of Intensive Care beds - they have one third of all cases there. A national Conference Center in the capital is being converted into a hospital to create more capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
This thread is going to be very interesting to look back on in a few years.

Keep posting interesting stats and news!
These past few days I've been doing some reading on The Great Depression of the 1930s and what could have been done back then to avoid it. I think we're teetering on the brink right now. I read that a lot of the standard actions (Lowering interests rates massively, quantitative easing) taken by the Federal Reserve is a direct result of the lessons learnt during the Great Depression. I'm curious to see what Western governments will do to pull themselves out of this. Massive Keynesian style infrastructure spending?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The common theme we have seen here is that majority of people simply do not take this serious, even with the amount of media out there.

Is it that the fear mongering needs to be higher? Or are people just assuming it will be fine if they get it?

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The common theme we have seen here is that majority of people simply do not take this serious, even with the amount of media out there.

Is it that the fear mongering needs to be higher? Or are people just assuming it will be fine if they get it?
I think there's a lot of misinformation going on. My partner's family is...shall we say on the Conservative leaning side. Her mother watches a particular Conservative leaning news network religiously. Up till recently that particular network has been downplaying the dangers of the virus and her reaction to it largely reflects their stance. She's only starting to wake up to Covid19 because of the network's 180 degree change on the issue and her daughter's repeated warnings of the severity of the whole thing. Meanwhile my partner's redneck brothers are still being gung ho about it.

LurchLord

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2016
RSI Handle
LurchLord
At work we talked about this very thing. Every time you watch a pandemic movie, any one, it always goes the same.
Virus hits, people ignore it, politicians don't believe in it, measures are not taken, orders not followed, millions die.
Every pandemic movie has "that one asshole" that goes into public sick because "it's just a cold"
Every pandemic movie has "that one asshole" mayor that does not want to shut down the town festival because "tourism and profits"
Every pandemic movie has "that one asshole" president/king/generalissimo that does not listen to the doctor telling him "shit is hitting the fan"

Every
fucking
time

Everyone always says "I would never be THAT stupid"

Well guess fucking what. As we just learn, a metric (I'm European, sue me) assload of assholes ARE that stupid.
Congratulations fellow humans, we as a species are as stupid as Hollywood thinks we are.

Sorry, had to vent.

Edit: Typo

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
US will have the most cases when all this is said and done. Hopefully not the most deaths.
I hope it wakes us up and makes us realize we are not the "greatest country in the world" and we need to actually work at being better.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
- Silly Bastards Of The Day -

The feckless retards who thought coughing at police would not result in being arrested for threatening/attempting to assault with a biological agent:

Enjoy your stay in prison you hopeless simpletons.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
More interesting is that a private company can buy this information and see the location of mobile devices.
Actually, what is most interesting that a company doing this went public with it...most of the time they don't want people to know anything about what they are doing. Maybe they have been doing it so long, they are getting complacent about keeping it a secret.

That, and tracking you via phone & bluetooth while you are inside a store, but that's a topic for another day ;^)

Forgot your password?