RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I'd love to see what testies from another part of the world think of the UK/England when you read headlines about England.

I mean I live here and it all screams we don't give a fuck
A lot of the articles you see are from the guardian, which is a UK news source. Being from the US, I see our headlines too and its not much different. Some things anger you, some things make you feel better. Nothing will ever be "enough" so I don't have any expectations for the UK either way. I live in Florida. We're all just chillin and doing our own thing, some weeks we have the highest rates in the country, some weeks we have the lowest. We don't have any sort of mandates other than mandates preventing mandates. So when I look at the UK I just think "well, I hope whatever theyre doing is what the people want".

My grandmother in her late 70s (really healthy for her age) just got COVID, its really kicking her ass and has me worried but shes getting over it. Shes been boosted and vaccinated so I'm sure thats worked in her favor, we can only assume it would be worse without.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
If you need a good laugh, it should be noted that our Supreme Court knocked down the work-based vaccine mandate, while they (SCOTUS) requires you to have both a COVID vaccine *and* a negative COVID test to enter the court. That was the reason why attorneys with COVID (who were arguing against the mandate) had to participate virtually, lol.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Saturday 15th of January 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 325,056,882 Global Deaths 5,533,227

- US: U.S. Confirmed 65,266,281

- UK: Lead or step aside, senior Tory tells Johnson

- UK: Reported UK Covid cases at lowest level for a month

- Australia: Court to decide Djokovic's Australian Open fate

- Iran: Three people are reported to have died from Omicron

- Austria: Thousands protest in Vienna against mandatory vaccination

- US: Texas scientists’ Covid vaccine is cheaper, easier to make and patent-free

- COVAX: Vaccine sharing programme passes 1 billion jab milestone

- Argentina/Mexico/Peru: Daily average infections peak in Argentina, Mexico and Peru

- Philippines: Philippines logs record infections for third day in a row

- China: City of Beijing reports first local Omicron case, weeks ahead of Winter Olympics

- Indonesia: Indonesia logs highest daily infection tally in three months

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I get kind of cynical about claims regarding biologics and vaccines, so when I first heard about this team I wasn't all that impressed. But if they can truly do this without patent protection, and don't even want patent protection - then I am truly impressed. We need more groups like this.
I believe something like this desire was behind the Oxford scientists going with AstraZeneca who to this point had relatively little expiriance making vaccines as AZ promised to sell the doses at Cost Price until the main danger of the pandemic passed. The difference between offering at cost price and making it globally available to all manurefacturers with no patent is pretty wide, though.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I believe something like this desire was behind the Oxford scientists going with AstraZeneca who to this point had relatively little expiriance making vaccines as AZ promised to sell the doses at Cost Price until the main danger of the pandemic passed. The difference between offering at cost price and making it globally available to all manurefacturers with no patent is pretty wide, though.
While I was reading the article, what struck me is the democratization of the science this gives. Enabling the safe sharing and improvement of inventions was the original intent of copyright, and patent laws. This, if it works, is a potentially huge step forward, similar to what we see as mature in software development, other sciences, and various arts.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Sunday 16th of January 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 326,958,232 Global Deaths 5,537,995

- Australia: Novak Djokovic deported from Australia hours after losing visa fight

- Italy: Italian nurse accused of faking Covid jabs for anti-vaxxers arrested

- UK: UK records 70,924 new cases

- Thialand: Thailand reports first Omicron death

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm not sure if this is because there are fewer infections or if this is a result of the rule change that meant people who get a positive Lateral Flow Test no longer have to back it up with a PCR test which is lab conducted and officially logged?
It's kind of a maybe. We have seen weekends cause artificial drops in reported cases. That is one of the reasons we use 7 day moving averages. Single day events tend to get a lot of media attention, while the 7 day moving average will show you what the actual trend is.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's kind of a maybe. We have seen weekends cause artificial drops in reported cases. That is one of the reasons we use 7 day moving averages. Single day events tend to get a lot of media attention, while the 7 day moving average will show you what the actual trend is.
A good point, there are a few reports suggesting the UKs Omicron surge may have peaked and plateaued already:

Reported UK Covid cases at lowest level in a month

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, it'd be disappointing to see us going back to 50k cases a day but I can't see how it wouldn't given the current approach.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
That'll teach those people to work on a Saturday:

lol, I love how the Chinese state media keeps trying to blame any new cases on international/foreign sources. I guess with the Olympics coming up now, they will only have more ammo...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've decided to stop looking at Deaths and Cases for my local area and I'm just looking at what's happening with staffing with basic services to gauge how well it's going with Omicron.

So, there aren't enough Latteral Flow Tests to go round as everyone wants one now PCR tests aren't required... the trains are on a reduced service because not enough drivers or conductors... The hospitals have had to call in combat medics to cover and they are still short staffed on mainline services because combat metics are great at stopping bleeding but they are not really trained for a tonne of other stuff like strokes, heart attacks, hip replacements etc... the bin collection hasn't been stopped yet but I have seen a couple of collections now going round with one driver and one guy grabbing, where it's usually one driver and three people grabbing...

The headlines of falling cases are encouraging but from the ground it still looks like loads of people are getting sick all at once... Either I'm just in a hold-out zone and it'll start to drop soon or those headline numbers are no longer looking at the big picture...?

Forgot your password?