COVID Buddy-check thread

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
So an update from me and @Blind Owl will probably understand this one a bit more. I went on my march break leave I had to burn, had 2 whole weeks left (yay me) back around March 1st or 2nd, before any case was confirmed in Canada. I had a cold going into the leave and developed a nasal drip (those suck btw). Went back to work, still congested but otherwise fine.

Still had some blockage in my throat so I went to the base hospital sick parade. Keep in mind these are the same people who had given me medication for my nasal drip weeks prior and told me to check back. They got all dressed in bio suits today, did a bunch of tests on me in a quarantine zone, found out what I reported was in fact true........after I told them multiple times and they checked the records.

Long story short, because I entered a quarantine zone of the hospital and because I still have an infection, I'm now quarantined for 2 weeks
Would that make this a sort of use 2, get 2 free? Hopefully you won't be penalized given the circumstances.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
Would that make this a sort of use 2, get 2 free? Hopefully you won't be penalized given the circumstances.
No penalization, no loss of pay, just happened that someone didn't read the charts prior. I am ok with it as a safety precaution and I do agree it is the right thing to do, just sucks that I had to basically be sent home and leave my guys high and dry for 2 weeks for basically a reverse runny nose.

For everyone affected by this crisis, I am aware that some are suffering major difficulties and hard times in all this and I hope everyone remains safe and vigilant. If people can work on using proper procedures of cleanliness and self discipline by distancing from others we can at least stop the spread. This virus will probably be ongoing for months to come yet due to the nature of how it spreads and no way to prevent it developed yet so we must all do our part and be mindful of all the people in and around our lives and those we could interact with.

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
@Blind Owl thanks for the great thread. I wish everyone the best of luck during this time of uncertainty.

The adjustment has been easy. I've worked at home as a consultant for 15 years now. What I miss is my morning coffee shop time. Several mornings a week I'd work from a local coffee shop for the first 2-3 hours of my day. Good change of scenery. Haven't done that for almost a month now. And funny, the liquor cabinet seems to have an echo forming...

I worry a ton about my Mom. She's 90 years old, and fit as a fiddle, and until a couple days ago just REFUSED to stay at home. I'd go shopping for her, clean everything, leave it on her porch, call her the next day and hear "Oh, I had to run to Target just for a couple things. I was careful." She worry's the hell out of me. Will drive me to drink. Oh, I already drink! 🍺🍺 She'll drive me to drink more! I finally scared her enough that she's staying home. Now I have just 2 more weeks of worrying about her.

My recently ex-wife works at the Costco just a few miles up the road. They had a positive test for one of the cashiers just yesterday. Cross that store off my list. Now I have to worry about my ex for the next couple weeks. My daughter, who lives with me, is not even leaving the house anymore. Online college courses are a saving grace!

Stay safe everyone!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
@Blind Owl thanks for the great thread. I wish everyone the best of luck during this time of uncertainty.

The adjustment has been easy. I've worked at home as a consultant for 15 years now. What I miss is my morning coffee shop time. Several mornings a week I'd work from a local coffee shop for the first 2-3 hours of my day. Good change of scenery. Haven't done that for almost a month now. And funny, the liquor cabinet seems to have an echo forming...

I worry a ton about my Mom. She's 90 years old, and fit as a fiddle, and until a couple days ago just REFUSED to stay at home. I'd go shopping for her, clean everything, leave it on her porch, call her the next day and hear "Oh, I had to run to Target just for a couple things. I was careful." She worry's the hell out of me. Will drive me to drink. Oh, I already drink! 🍺🍺 She'll drive me to drink more! I finally scared her enough that she's staying home. Now I have just 2 more weeks of worrying about her.

My recently ex-wife works at the Costco just a few miles up the road. They had a positive test for one of the cashiers just yesterday. Cross that store off my list. Now I have to worry about my ex for the next couple weeks. My daughter, who lives with me, is not even leaving the house anymore. Online college courses are a saving grace!

Stay safe everyone!
I'm enjoying a certain part of this thread, you get to know a little more about people. I wish you luck, and good fortune.
I'm also a consultant that works mostly from home. But I still like to have an office, or a client to visit once in a while. It breaks the monotony a little. My wife thinks I turn into a zombie sometimes. It's been funny the reaction that some program and project managers have - the ones that like us to be consuming a desk. My productivity can double at home compared to days I go in. I can give you 8 hours work in your office, but it includes people stopping by etc, socializing and whatnot that happens in an office. But when I work from home, I forget to look at the clock most of the time, and average over 12 hours/day.
This is my big problem in life. I've said it here before: My job became my hobby, then my hobby turned into my profession. So now my hobby and my profession are indistinguishable, even to me. And I love it... but I really do need a life at some point.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Mrs 'BobFace and I have been on a major declutter in the enforced down time. Today we looked on top of one of the wardrobes and I found my old pool cues, both of them.

I can't have picked either of them up in five years and I only ever used one of them, the other one was just for my friends to use instead of having to use the pub sticks.

I held my cue and remembered the times I really needed a game through my life. Usually during really bad times, one memorable time where I and a friend must have played 16 games in a row when I was trying to think through a particularly rough breakup.

Man, I could do with a few games now :)

When this is over, I'll be finding the nearest table and take the old stick out for another few rounds.

As it's a declutter, the loaner cue is going on the for sale pile - whoever I play against can use the pub sticks.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Mrs 'BobFace and I have been on a major declutter in the enforced down time. Today we looked on top of one of the wardrobes and I found my old pool cues, both of them.

I can't have picked either of them up in five years and I only ever used one of them, the other one was just for my friends to use instead of having to use the pub sticks.

I held my cue and remembered the times I really needed a game through my life. Usually during really bad times, one memorable time where I and a friend must have played 16 games in a row when I was trying to think through a particularly rough breakup.

When this is over, I'll be finding the nearest table and take the old stick out for another few rounds.

As it's a declutter, the loaner cue is going on the for sale pile - whoever I play against can use the pub sticks.
Why not gift it to Mrs 'BobFace or you afraid she will smoke ya?

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
Overall, pretty decent.
Very lucky to be working from home, but my job is designed so I can work remotely (since the financial world in the USA never really stops, and I support financial software for banks).
Been talking to my parents, both mid-60's and keep telling them to stay inside as much as possible. Even telling them I will go get stuff for them.

The main part is worrying about my wife, kids, and her family. She's still working full time as a visiting in-home nurse for multiple clients, who tend to be older and have various mental issues. Also our two kids, but they are keeping home as much as possible. I know her parent's house is going crazy, as they have custody of their younger daughter's six kids and for the majority of March all schools there were closed (both normal and after-school programs). The kids did go back to school for one day and then spring break started.
But I'd be more ok with them if wasn't as 12+ hour flight away.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
So far its easy mode for me and my gf. I have a full time ICT job that I can do 100% from home so no loss there. I have a little balcony with plenty of sun during the day so I work there a lot.
Also fun to see how our management is finally 'forced' to use online meeting tools and seeing the benefit of it :D

My gf however is self employed (makeup artist) and that completely stopped of course. So its more stressful for her. Our goverment provides the minimum wage she would need for primary expenses so thats nice. I can provide for the both of us if we watch our expenses a bit pus our vacation has been cancelled so the money we saved for that is a nice buffer for now.

Hope everyone is/stays safe!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Why not gift it to Mrs 'BobFace or you afraid she will smoke ya?
She's about as interested in Pool as I am in decluttering ;)

When i said it was a loaner for whomever I was playing against her first words were "so you can sell it?" rather than "so I can have it?"

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Self isolation, day 21;
I haven't noticed only one thing different in my social life. I have MORE friends to play videogames with than ever. Oh yeah, I do not go to work or parties anymore. My ass has blisters from all the sitting around. Hopefully the grow ops of Canada are considered essential services.

Zapper Weisman

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 14, 2018
RSI Handle
ZapperWeisman
We were all fine...until about 3 hours ago when my 75 year old father took a backwards fall on our stairs. (he fell backwards on to his back, not falling face first down the stairs, which is better..?) Called 911 and they took him away and they reported he has a "significant break" in his right ankle. He already had trouble walking and healing due to diabetes so I worried that he's not going to walk again. But to make matters worse, he's in a hospital with covid patients. I know they'll do their best for him but, I'm terrified I sent him off to get infected.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
We were all fine...until about 3 hours ago when my 75 year old father took a backwards fall on our stairs. (he fell backwards on to his back, not falling face first down the stairs, which is better..?) Called 911 and they took him away and they reported he has a "significant break" in his right ankle. He already had trouble walking and healing due to diabetes so I worried that he's not going to walk again. But to make matters worse, he's in a hospital with covid patients. I know they'll do their best for him but, I'm terrified I sent him off to get infected.
No matter what, you did exactly the right thing getting him the help he needed for the fall.

Think about the positive outcomes there have been in regards to this virus -
- Prince Charles of the UK royal family is 71 and tested positive for Covid-19, but only reported mild symptoms and self isolated at home, didn't need to go to hospital at all. Yes, he's fabulously wealthy but all that wealth would have meant in this pandemic is that he got a more comfy bed.
- And there are reports that of the people tested in Iceland 50% of those who tested positive had no symptoms what so ever.

It's definitely a scary time, but it's important to remember take hope from the good news happening in the pandemic as well as preparedness from the bad news.

:like:

Zapper Weisman

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 14, 2018
RSI Handle
ZapperWeisman
Thank you for the reply. It turns out that it most certainly was the correct call. He broke his leg bones near the ankle and is currently undergoing surgery to install some pins. There's a good chance he will not walk again, but otherwise, he seems all right. Thanks for the support, NaffNaffBobFace.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you for the reply. It turns out that it most certainly was the correct call. He broke his leg bones near the ankle and is currently undergoing surgery to install some pins. There's a good chance he will not walk again, but otherwise, he seems all right. Thanks for the support, NaffNaffBobFace.
Any time dude 👍 Great to hear he's doing good 🙂

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hey lads and lasses. Sorry for my absence. Life has been busy, and I've been spending a large amount of time with my family, and supporting my wifey as she works away nursing during this calamity.

That being said, I've been remiss in checking in. In true Canadian fashion, I apologize.

So an update from me and @Blind Owl will probably understand this one a bit more. I went on my march break leave I had to burn, had 2 whole weeks left (yay me) back around March 1st or 2nd, before any case was confirmed in Canada. I had a cold going into the leave and developed a nasal drip (those suck btw). Went back to work, still congested but otherwise fine.

Still had some blockage in my throat so I went to the base hospital sick parade. Keep in mind these are the same people who had given me medication for my nasal drip weeks prior and told me to check back. They got all dressed in bio suits today, did a bunch of tests on me in a quarantine zone, found out what I reported was in fact true........after I told them multiple times and they checked the records.

Long story short, because I entered a quarantine zone of the hospital and because I still have an infection, I'm now quarantined for 2 weeks
And how are you making out now brother? Still quarantined I reckon, but doing ok?
For everyone affected by this crisis, I am aware that some are suffering major difficulties and hard times in all this and I hope everyone remains safe and vigilant. If people can work on using proper procedures of cleanliness and self discipline by distancing from others we can at least stop the spread. This virus will probably be ongoing for months to come yet due to the nature of how it spreads and no way to prevent it developed yet so we must all do our part and be mindful of all the people in and around our lives and those we could interact with.
This is absolute truth. Take care of yourselves and thereby each other. Fuck, wifey and I sanitize groceries before they come in the house.

Stay safe everyone!
Thanks for posting Grap, and welcome back. Glad to hear yourl got through to your mom. Funny how hard that can be eh?
Keep your family safe. Miss you brother.
I'm enjoying a certain part of this thread, you get to know a little more about people. I wish you luck, and good fortune.
I'm also a consultant that works mostly from home. But I still like to have an office, or a client to visit once in a while. It breaks the monotony a little. My wife thinks I turn into a zombie sometimes. It's been funny the reaction that some program and project managers have - the ones that like us to be consuming a desk. My productivity can double at home compared to days I go in. I can give you 8 hours work in your office, but it includes people stopping by etc, socializing and whatnot that happens in an office. But when I work from home, I forget to look at the clock most of the time, and average over 12 hours/day.
This is my big problem in life. I've said it here before: My job became my hobby, then my hobby turned into my profession. So now my hobby and my profession are indistinguishable, even to me. And I love it... but I really do need a life at some point.
Haha, doing what you love for a living. That's the dream my friend. Kudos!

Alright, well have a game next time I fly across the pond. CitizenCon 2021? Haha. We'll make it happen eventually.
Overall, pretty decent.
Very lucky to be working from home, but my job is designed so I can work remotely (since the financial world in the USA never really stops, and I support financial software for banks).
Been talking to my parents, both mid-60's and keep telling them to stay inside as much as possible. Even telling them I will go get stuff for them.

The main part is worrying about my wife, kids, and her family. She's still working full time as a visiting in-home nurse for multiple clients, who tend to be older and have various mental issues. Also our two kids, but they are keeping home as much as possible. I know her parent's house is going crazy, as they have custody of their younger daughter's six kids and for the majority of March all schools there were closed (both normal and after-school programs). The kids did go back to school for one day and then spring break started.
But I'd be more ok with them if wasn't as 12+ hour flight away.
Jesus, your kids/family are 12+ hours away? Is that what I'm reading? Or did I misunderstand that?

Glad you have the capability to work from home. You're one of the lucky ones my friend!
Self isolation, day 21;
I haven't noticed only one thing different in my social life. I have MORE friends to play videogames with than ever. Oh yeah, I do not go to work or parties anymore. My ass has blisters from all the sitting around. Hopefully the grow ops of Canada are considered essential services.
Ontario just shut down the weed stores last week. Online only now. You surviving? Haha
Holy shit. Scary man. And how's your dad doing now?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Alright, well have a game next time I fly across the pond. CitizenCon 2021? Haha. We'll make it happen eventually.
Sounds good dude, you'll have to use one of the pub cues as my loaner seems to have gone missing.

Failing in person, I'd definitely be up for a game when they get the pool tables working in the 'Verse. I don't have any ships with a pool table (unless the Endeavor gets one) so one of the Hab levels in Hurston might be the destination to knock some balls about.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Sounds good dude, you'll have to use one of the pub cues as my loaner seems to have gone missing.

Failing in person, I'd definitely be up for a game when they get the pool tables working in the 'Verse. I don't have any ships with a pool table (unless the Endeavor gets one) so one of the Hab levels in Hurston might be the destination to knock some balls about.
Gone missing?!? Hahaha, Mrs BobFace got to it, did she?

Yeah man, I'd love to take a TESTie trip someday, and bounce around meeting people. Do meetups, drink beers, play pool.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Yeah man, I'd love to take a TESTie trip someday, and bounce around meeting people. Do meetups, drink beers, play pool.
Come to the West Coast dude! I think a couple of Testies are out here including our Dear Leader.
Come to LA, we can get a bunch of us and go have a picnic on the front lawn of CIG headquarters!

Forgot your password?