DNS AdBlock on Merlin Firmware

SpaceDoge

Space Marshal
Dec 13, 2015
RSI Handle
SpaceD0ge
Hello all,

I am currently trying to setup a universal AdBlocker on my home network, however I am having difficulty with it.
I am not sure what to enter under the DNS-Over-TLS Server List. All I am given by sites like AdGuard is an IP address, and entering it only cripples the network.
Please help :(
DNS.PNG

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's asking you for the domain name of the DNS over TLS service you use, not an IP address. You need to use a DNS that uses the TLS protocol. Setting this up is kind of a PITA too, and you're going to be exposed to a bunch of things with acronyms, and when you decode the acronyms you'll not be much further ahead.

Google Public DNS has such a service, and a not as bad as it could be explanation of the settings you're dealing with:

And I'm not 100% sure what they have but you can check with Telus to see if they have a Canadian based service, I think they do.

DO NOT USE SOMEONE YOU NEVER HEARD OF.

Reactions: Bambooza

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
Just to make sure you understand how AdGuard ad blocking works: AdGuard, a private company, provides a DNS server that is modified to that it pretends that ad servers don‘t exist. For example if your computer asks the server for the ip address for the fictitios „ads.google.com“ the answer will be NXDOMAIN which means there is no server with that hostname.

AdGuard actually provides a lot of different servers: normal DNS, DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS. AdGuard provides the ip address for normal DNS as well as the hostnames required for DNS-over-TLS and DoH on their setup page (https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html#instruction under DNS privacy and DNS tabs).
There are variants with and without „family filter“. The family filter probably blocks pages the company doesn‘t deem child safe, which given that it is an US.-American company will probably mean a lot of sex stuff and way too little brutal stuff.

If you don‘t live in North America or other evil places that allow or force internet providers to inject ads, sell your DNS history, or try to censor specific pages then you can get away with just using normal DNS (without DNS privacy). If you need tamper proof and private DNS queries then you need to use DoTLS or DoH. DoH is much easier to setup, you only need to switch the method in the screenshot you provided and put in the hostname given on the AdGuard site.

Using google DNS as DoH or DoTLS host will give you tamper proof and private (from your ISP, not google) DNS, but not ad blocking. Be aware that Firefox is starting to roll out their own version of DoH in North America that ignores the DNS setting from your router and uses cloudflares DoH, which would mean that ad blocking wouldn‘t work in Firefox. There is a lot of discussion going on there still though, so you might want to stay posted.

Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

AE12Pr

Ensign
May 22, 2020
RSI Handle
AE12Pr
You can stop any ads that appear on your screen. There are applications that stop any advertisement, any advertisement, any site that can damage your PC. And this is very good that there are such applications, first you can surf the Internet freely, without expecting any accidental advertisement. Such applications are anointed adblock. It is even a ranking of the best adblock for chrome, you can read here https://thinkmobiles.com. I'm sure the information you'll find here will come in handy later.

Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?