EverQuest

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Hey all, for those of you who used to play Everquest back in the day, their newest progression server just opened up the Ruins of Kunark expansion. Every 12 weeks a new expansion will come about if its voted on all the way up until Planes of Power and the 2 little expansions after LDoN and LoY and thats where it will stay until another server starts. So far I jumped back in and unlike other times, this felt very very familiar and exciting to play. So many people are in the Zones they have to instance some. 50+ people in field of bone plus another instance just blew my mind. If you're an old school Everquest fan, I HIGHLY recommend you checking out the Agnaar progression server. I'm playing an Iksar shaman named Mikanik if you want to have a familiar face in game to talk to. Cheers everyone and I hope you find that little spark of EQ magic again when you play.

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

BluePilote

Space Marshal
Jun 25, 2017
RSI Handle
BluePilote
First

BluePilote

Space Marshal
Jun 25, 2017
RSI Handle
BluePilote
Not sure, but I used to play this game in 90... is it a reboot?

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
no, SoE was sold and became Daybreak Games. These are official servers. This is also not a "reboot" as it is basically the same game that came out. I am not sure if it has the original models only, or if the Luclin models are there from the start.

EQ2 is doing something similar. This is their way of trying to get people to play the game again, getting the feelings of nostalgia.

And yes, EQ was one of my first MMOs...but I played UO before that, and MUDS and MUSHes (including DikuMUD, TinyWorld, etc when they first came out)

Reactions: BluePilote

GinjaNinja

Grand Admiral
May 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Andy_Barker
My God I used to play this, pre-Luclin. Used to love it. None of this easy gratification for things, you really had to grind at it. I miss my Halfling Dr00d, and my best friend had a paper tank (Woodie Ranger), I used to love the train calls in Karnor's Castle... "Train to Zone" then a flurry of "TRAIN LEFT, TRAIN LEFT!", quickly followed by the "Women, children and rangers 1st!" :nerd::grinning:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I played it for many years. The last time I played was either Seeds of Destruction or Underfoot (I think Underfoot). After that, my kendo go in the way of playing and I dropped it for WoW as my full time game. While I was messing around with WoW since late 2004 (and EQ2 since release), the relaxed nature of WoW started appealing to me. No more of my wife and I needing to each 3 box to have a viable group when people in the guild were not available. No more waiting 5 minutes to log back in after going Link Dead. No more xp grind that was so horrible, it felt like it was draining your soul. No more accidentally looting your entire corpse and losing 10 hours of playtime to get your level back.

Sorry, while I am grateful to EQ for launching the MMO phenomena, I am glad Blizzard made an EQ clone that fixed a good portion of the problems that EQ had.

That said, I find EQ2 to be an interesting alternative to WoW that address some of the issues associated with EQ, but does not dumb things down to the level WoW is now.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Sorry, I meant to come back to this thread but got sucked into the grind. I'm having a blast and it feels just like when I started playing almost. Obviously won't be the same but the groups are fun, the exp is rare and im getting a chance to hit up zones i never had the chance to. They are trying to follow the original path as close as possible, like right now a lot of the gear isnt level restricted, and certain items that were available pre nerf are available again. They have added some modern conveniences I don't want to sit here and explain, but I just had to let someone know as an old school EQ1 and 2 player I finally feel satisfied with coming back and playing. Again, the name's Mikanik on the Agnarr server. Feel free to message me anytime.

Forgot your password?