For all you nautical and history buffs.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Chanced upon this really cool video. I didn't realize how deep some of the war wrecks were! Bismarck and USS Indianapolis specifically. Super nice touch for The Titanic as well since it historically broke in half!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGPiQ47ahsE
That was really awesome! I'm not into ships at all, but seeing this at scale is kinda mindblowin. Never realized that the Titanic was this deep down, now it makes sense why it's such a big deal when they went down and found it and stuff lol

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
That was really awesome! I'm not into ships at all, but seeing this at scale is kinda mindblowin. Never realized that the Titanic was this deep down, now it makes sense why it's such a big deal when they went down and found it and stuff lol
Yeah I think the sinking of the Titanic on it's maiden voyage captured popular imagination because of what it represented (plus that silly movie that came out). I mean this was the largest and most luxurious vessel of it's time. When it went down, the casualties list was a who's who of 'Society back' then. You're looking at Astors, Rothschilds, Guggenheims, and Molsons. It was ridiculous how many millionaires (billionaire in today's terms) died. It's like if Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and Mark Zuckerberg all went down with one ship. Of course on the other end you had families looking to emigrate to America hopeful for a better life than what they left behind.

Anyway I remember leafing through the Titanic Discovery issue of National Geographic when I was a kid. Robert Ballard's kind of a childhood hero of mine (he also discovered the wrecks of the Bismarck and The USS Yorktown).

Fun stuff either way and you really get a sense of how deep our oceans are.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Vasa 1628, is in a museum in Stockholm. It is a must see if you visit Stockholm. Also an interesting story of incompetence
The Bizarre Story of 'Vasa,' the Ship That Keeps On Giving | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine
Oh yeah I would love to check out the Vasa if I'm ever in Stockholm.

Absolutely incredible that the wreck was so well preserved even after 300+ years in the water.

Ironically this archaeological treasure wouldn't be possible had the Swedes not build this piece of shit lol. It truly wasn't constructed well at all!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I ended up reading accounts of the sinking of some of those ships, including the Titanic. Rabbit holes I end up going down. But morbidly interesting.
You know that there was a time not long ago that Canada almost lost all 4 of it's brand new (i mean slightly used) Victoria class subs. We used to joke they were part of the Air Force while they were up on rails in dry dock getting repairs.

Reactions: Aramsolari

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I ended up reading accounts of the sinking of some of those ships, including the Titanic. Rabbit holes I end up going down. But morbidly interesting.
Yeah I went down the rabbit hole as well, Bismarck specifically. According to examination of the wreck, a number of surveyers believe that the Bismarck would have stayed afloat had the crew not choose to scuttle her. None of the torpedoes fired were effective at sinking the ship and of the 719 heavy caliber shells fired at her, only two penetrated the side belt armour. Sure her rudder was knocked out, she was on fire, much of the command crew was dead, and her main guns all silenced. Other then that, she was still hopping around like the Black Knight yelling "Tis but a scratch".

She was always destined to be sunk, however, either by the Royal Navy or the Kriegsmarine sailors themselves. After the sinking of the HMS Hood, the vengeful British threw everything they had to sink the Bismarck. Meanwhile the Germans would never let her be captured.

The sinking of the HMS Hood and the hunt for the KMS Bismarck immediately afterwards is one of the most exciting events of WW2. I mean the thing writes almost like a movie. A flagship of the Royal Navy sails out to engage the flagship of the Kriegsmarine and is promptly sunk. What follows was a frantic chase across the Atlantic to take down one ship. In the end it took the combined efforts of 1 aircraft carrier, 2 battleships, 2 heavy cruisers, 1 light cruisers, and 7 destroyers to sink the Bismarck. That was just the ships that actually took part in the battle, there were dozens more that couldn't make it there in time before contact was made. Incredible stuff.

Good thing the Royal Navy did just that (sank the Bismarck). An unchallenged Bismarck would have feasted on the Atlantic Convoys (The U-boots had to avoid Allied destroyers, the Bismarck would have swatted them away), starved Britain, and perhaps changed the outcome of the War.

You know that there was a time not long ago that Canada almost lost all 4 of it's brand new (i mean slightly used) Victoria class subs. We used to joke they were part of the Air Force while they were up on rails in dry dock getting repairs.
Oh yeah I remember that. At one point (when all the Victoria class subs were in drydock), the West Edmonton Mall had more submarines than the Canadian Navy lol.

• Love
Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Oh yeah I remember that. At one point (when all the Victoria class subs were in drydock), the West Edmonton Mall had more submarines than the Canadian Navy lol.
OMG, I had forgotten that one. At least we can laugh about it. The Navy still has it's submarines though, the mall... not so much.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
OMG, I had forgotten that one. At least we can laugh about it. The Navy still has it's submarines though, the mall... not so much.
Highlight of my 9 year old life actually. Going on a ride in one of those big Yellows lol.

Reactions: Vavrik
Forgot your password?