Gallant Burstfire mode

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Most of the community has been complaining that the change with the Gallant, which removed the full auto mode and added a 3 shot burstfire choice, to the existing 5 shot burst, was a step backward that made no sense. Eradicator here has a different take, and I'm not disagreeing.

The Gallant's burst is VERY fast firing, but it does recoil a little and this was enough that most were shooting it in full auto. This doesn't take advantage of the high DPS and alpha since burstfire mode is much faster than full auto.

The option to fire 1 head shot burst of 3, or two body shots burst of 3, removes the fliers one had at the end of the burst of 5, and allows one to conserve ammo. Lets face it, the main reason to choose the Gallant over its big brother, the Demeco; is if you want to carry light and gain more evasion/reaction on foot. So giving players a way to improve their ammo handling and weight with smaller bursts kinda makes some sense. See what you think.

View: https://youtu.be/NFxX7QVSxYo?t=66

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Most of the community has been complaining that the change with the Gallant, which removed the full auto mode and added a 3 shot burstfire choice, to the existing 5 shot burst, was a step backward that made no sense. Eradicator here has a different take, and I'm not disagreeing.

The Gallant's burst is VERY fast firing, but it does recoil a little and this was enough that most were shooting it in full auto. This doesn't take advantage of the high DPS and alpha since burstfire mode is much faster than full auto.

The option to fire 1 head shot burst of 3, or two body shots burst of 3, removes the fliers one had at the end of the burst of 5, and allows one to conserve ammo. Lets face it, the main reason to choose the Gallant over its big brother, the Demeco; is if you want to carry light and gain more evasion/reaction on foot. So giving players a way to improve their ammo handling and weight with smaller bursts kinda makes some sense. See what you think.

I wasn't a fan of the change on paper, but since then I ran dozens of FPS missions with it and it works fine. Pop on a silencer and some optics and you have a very capable rifle for basically any situation currently in the game. It's still my "must have" gun.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
That WOULD make sense in 'normal' conditions, if you didn't sometimes run into a bunker with 5 NPCs all on top/inside of each other, crammed into the 'space' of two people in a single elevator doorway. THAT'S when it's still nice to have full auto mode!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If there are 5 of them, isn't a grenade the better option?

I've seen lots of players get killed on the old 890 Jump mission for lack of a grenade. NPCs in a doorway, using each other as meatshields as those in the rear cut down the player. Grenades solve that problem instantly.

Reactions: Zookajoe

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
NPC bullets not clipping through each other (and walls and basically anything randomly) should solve this issue as well. Or mabye if NPC-s didn't stand inside each other.

Grenades could be the solution, if they worked. They don't.
It's a 50/50 if they blow or not, and it's also very rare that a grenade actually goes where you point it. More often than not it just clips through floors or even more often they just "sync" back to the position you throw them from. As in right beneath your feet.
Yeah, I won't be using grenades anytime soon.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Another interesting change with the Gallant. The 5 shot burst used to be fastest firing in game at 700 rounds/minute. (The Demeco is by contrast, only 400.) It is now 900 rounds/minute and the 3 shot burst is 825 rounds/minute.

This is why the gun does not recoil until after the burst leaves the weapon, and thus shots land in a very small area, even at good range.

If you miss the old semi-auto fire function, which was only 450 rounds/minute, I suggest you just multi-tap the burstfire trigger. This thing is all full of awesome.

Down side, the Gallant is down to 45 rounds/mag from 60, so you do actually need to think more about ammo use and that 3 burst option..

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
To me, the Gallant is one of the most underrated personal weapons in SC. I use either that or a P4 SMG. And I don't normally wander around with 2 weapons dangling from my back, especially two huge monstrosities. That not only looks and sounds ridiculous, but you can only use one at a time.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
One of the things I've been impressed with is that a huge number of missions offer shots over 50 meters: the outposts, Ghost Hollow, caves, even some bunker shots; and players regularly carry heavy sniper rifles for those occasions. Thing is, they're still only shooting 70-100 meters, so they don't need a 16X scope that blocks all vision outside the circle. The 4X is plenty, and the Gallant is good to 2,400 meters, so you almost never need a sniper rifle. The Gallant is much, much better at 70 meters, and you can run with it and fire from the hip at point blank range.

Jun 20, 2022
RSI Handle
diabolus_ex_machina
One of the things I've been impressed with is that a huge number of missions offer shots over 50 meters: the outposts, Ghost Hollow, caves, even some bunker shots; and players regularly carry heavy sniper rifles for those occasions. Thing is, they're still only shooting 70-100 meters, so they don't need a 16X scope that blocks all vision outside the circle. The 4X is plenty, and the Gallant is good to 2,400 meters, so you almost never need a sniper rifle. The Gallant is much, much better at 70 meters, and you can run with it and fire from the hip at point blank range.
The Gallant sounds like a good gun where can I get one?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

Granted this is a game viewed through Hollywood tinted glasses, not the real world.

In the real world, full auto is for suppression fire. It is to put heads down. Having been a MOUT instructor, short bursts just aren't very good at that.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If you'll recall the original intentions of the Land Warrior program (1988?) , the call out for the replacement to the M16 was for a combat rifle capable of firing in burst mode so quickly, that it could put several shots into a target before recoiling. The intention was to enhance lethality and the probability of a hit. The H&K G11 caseless ammo rifle was a direct attempt toward that end, and it was a great solution. It fired at 2,100 rpm in 3 burst mode.

So CIG is really mimicking the best of the attempts toward a future combat rifle. There's no caseless, but they got the burst mode and fire rates up.

I think the M4 fires at 450 rpm? Whatever it is, it is too slow to put the shots all on the same target due to recoil. Hence why burst does not work with the M4, but would with a G11.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
If you'll recall the original intentions of the Land Warrior program (1988?) , the call out for the replacement to the M16 was for a combat rifle capable of firing in burst mode so quickly, that it could put several shots into a target before recoiling. The intention was to enhance lethality and the probability of a hit. The H&K G11 caseless ammo rifle was a direct attempt toward that end, and it was a great solution. It fired at 2,100 rpm in 3 burst mode.

So CIG is really mimicking the best of the attempts toward a future combat rifle. There's no caseless, but they got the burst mode and fire rates up.

I think the M4 fires at 450 rpm? Whatever it is, it is too slow to put the shots all on the same target due to recoil. Hence why burst does not work with the M4, but would with a G11.
The M4 cyclic is around 700 RPM, same as the M16.
The G11 is designed to fire burst mode at around 2200 RPM but full auto was around 700 RPM. It's a neat concept, and one of several in the weapon, but there were definite drawbacks.

There are lots of misconceptions about "Assault Rifles" out there. :) I hope I'm not out of line but I'm going to cover a few of them.

An assault rifle is not designed to kill people. Granted they can kill people, so can a pellet gun, but that isn't the design purpose. You are much more likely to be wounded than killed, when hit. Granted that has additional advantages to the people that do the wounding, but that is a different discussion. The light weight, underpowered rounds are simply so a soldier can carry more of them.

Assault rifles are suppressive fire weapons. They are to put heads down so your other elements can maneuver. (Doesn't translate well to a game though.)

Full auto does not mean hold the trigger until your magazine is empty. It is supposed to be 6 to 9 round bursts.

The M16, starting with the A2, switched to a 3 round burst limiter, to conserve ammo, but meant the first person through a door wasn't very effective at putting heads down.

At, roughly, the same time as the M16A2 was introduced, so was the M249 (1 per fireteam) to counter, somewhat, that limitation.

An Infantry platoon relies on its General Purpose Machine Guns (M60, M240, PK, etc.) and vehicle weapons for actually killing people.

Forgot your password?