GameGlass Review

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Hey all,

After much debate, I finally used gameglass in SC. I have to say, it has some very nice controls too it, and it certainly makes the game more immersive.

Controls are fairly straightforward. Push in the indicated area for the indicated command. That said, there is no customization. You can't switch quantum spool and engage quantum for instance.

I operate a LOT of USB controls. I have a Warthog HOTAS and Thrustmaster Pedals. I also have the Cougar button box that Thrustmaster puts out.

If nothing else, gameglass will prevent the need for the Cougar button boxes, but even those can be nice to have at times. I use about 30 of the 46 different buttons on the Cougar, but with GG, I could probably reduce that to about 10-20. That said, CIG is very control happy. They have WAY too many controls for their spaceship simulator. If I were to map all the controls, I would probably not have enough even now.

So how does GG work in game?

There are displays for both ground and flight ops. Turning on systems, going into decoupled mode, free look, etc. YOu can also power down shields, weapons, etc, turn your lights on and off, open, close, lock and unlock the doors.

Going into combat? press the combat page and it takes you to a Changing shields and power distribution is very easy with GG. Targeting and shield distribution are controlled by the touch of your finger. Go to the appropriate screen and move things around with your finger. Need more thruster power to lift off in your Cat? Very easy and intuitive. More power to shield and thrusters while trying to escape a bandit intent on taking your cargo? No problem.

Now the question you all have...is it worth it?

I have it, I like it, but it may not be the best. There are others out there that have done similar work that they are giving away for free. I would encourage you to look at them as well.

Ultimately, I would hope CIG would offer compatibility with touch screens as well, allowing someone to change the controls of their ship on their monitor as if it was accessing the controls directly. With freelook, they are already partly there. This would offer an in-game addition, but I think that for those without touchscreens, gameglass and the like offer a good solution to the control problem CIG has.

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
I will be interesting to see what people come up with once CIG releases and API. I'd much rather use one tablet for everything than the in game MFDs.

Reactions: Scape

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
Well after finding out it's a straight 20 bucks, I threw it down. Been using it today and can really see some good things, ran into a few bugs but assume that stuff will be cleared up solid 7/10 so far

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I like GameGlass, despite a couple of small issues I run into, when it works it works great.

Mix it with a Streamdeck and it makes a good combo.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
i would like to see GG be one of the MFD's usable in the game. EG. i mess with my power setting all the time but on the individual components. each MFD pretty much can be swapped between power Heat, coms, ect. i'd like to see that on my phone rather then a predetermined lay out like GG. granted i have not used GG. but ive seen the interface and wasn't what i was looking for.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
i would like to see GG be one of the MFD's usable in the game. EG. i mess with my power setting all the time but on the individual components. each MFD pretty much can be swapped between power Heat, coms, ect. i'd like to see that on my phone rather then a predetermined lay out like GG. granted i have not used GG. but ive seen the interface and wasn't what i was looking for.
From what I have seen that functionality may be coming in later builds of GameGlass possibly, as there are parts of the UI that are still not operable but a button is there. It really would make using the MFDs a lot easier for sure.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
My only issue with GG currently is that they still don't have paypal up. I don't really need a credit card ./

Gamegalss probably will shine with CIGs API.

Currently i'm running Lea Extended Input

( This is my setup which i want to improve with 3.6
View: https://youtu.be/L7t1t2mQlVE
)

advantage of LEA its free and you can costumize it for yourself

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So the 20 dollars for the star citizen pack, can I assume that includes free updates to match the new builds as they come out up to release? I know I wasn't using a lot of options in the game because there were so damn many to keep track of but picking up a cheap tablet to use as an extra interface might be the thing for me

Taterhed

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 23, 2019
RSI Handle
Taterhed
I got lucky and won it in a twitch giveaway. I was impressed with the latency of the app, having used similar things for Elite that were alot slower. It has potential for sure, I think it is what alot of ppl need, I just still dream of SC in native VR! 😉

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
So the 20 dollars for the star citizen pack, can I assume that includes free updates to match the new builds as they come out up to release? I know I wasn't using a lot of options in the game because there were so damn many to keep track of but picking up a cheap tablet to use as an extra interface might be the thing for me
For the four(?) shards you get with it, I would think that is the case, and with any others you can buy as well. Best to hop on their Discord or email and see what they say.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
From what I have seen that functionality may be coming in later builds of GameGlass possibly, as there are parts of the UI that are still not operable but a button is there. It really would make using the MFDs a lot easier for sure.
That would be nice I dont mind the extra options that they offer i just would like to project one to say my phone or tablet

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I use stream deck one button box to control them all, work like a charm to all games and even to control your OS..
Live update on buttons as you edit buttons in program , make changes on the fly if you need.
Largest CPU consumption during normal operation is around 0.2 - 1.5 %

Only button box you ever need 😊

But I like buttons so I have a lot more all for immersion and variation. 🤪

CHEERS! 🍻

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I use stream deck one button box to control them all, work like a charm to all games and even to control your OS..
Live update on buttons as you edit buttons in program , make changes on the fly if you need.
Largest CPU consumption during normal operation is around 0.2 - 1.5 %

Only button box you ever need 😊

But I like buttons so I have a lot more all for immersion and variation. 🤪

CHEERS! 🍻
And they just released the Streamdeck XL, which has 32 buttons!

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
From GG discord:

" Time to put on your hype pants, GameGlass is launching on: July 24* PST
All of you have had a huge impact on making this possible.
Thank you, from everyone on the team.
* July 17 for current users and early access sign ups. Here's a tease of the new features coming with launch... "

Forgot your password?