Got a webcam... I now have a working face.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I got a gift card for £30 so went to Argos and got a Microsoft HD-3000 for £25.

Plug the cam in and being a windows device in a Win 10 computer it works right away.

So far so good.

Turn on SC expecting the cheap webcam not to work. Go into the options in the menu without even going into the PU, and find FOIP in the options. I hit the calebrate option and there is my ugly mush with orange balls all over it. I use a dim desk light so I can seen the keyboard so there was just enough illumination for it to work unhindered. I pull a couple of faces and in the corner it says "Calibrate: True" so I assume that's calibrated.

I notice in the options view tracking or whatever it's called. Two options, seated only or allways. I select seated only. I pull faces all the way to my ship, note that the lip-sync is accurate, on my local machine at least. Sit down in the Vanguard and... Woah wait I can now look around the cockpit just by moving my head?

This has literally changed my gameplay. There were two bum-ends trolling outside of Olisar. An Arrow zips up and out of my field of view while firing at me. I just tilt my head back and see they have stopped not much further up, hit R for gimbal assist, lift my nose and open up on them. Badoooom.

The other ship was an Avenger. It's circling me but I can keep eyes on them as they zip round and around. They open fire so I swing the business end around and let rip. They survive the volley by hitting the reheats and cutting close past me. I look to my right and spin round seeing them well before I could have without view tracking. I line up and fire, inadvertently hitting my own boost. We close fast and collide, both dying.

I'm definately keeping view tracking on! The only thing that annoys me about it is when I look down at my keyboard to hit a specific key, the view track follows. Even if I glance for a micro-second but that's something to get used to I suppose.

If you have a web cam, give it a try, it might just surprise you.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Wait, what, woah! Really?!!! I had no idea this was available! From the data in the camera SC knows how to paint the cockpit?!! That is really astonishing to me.

And the Vanguard, yeah. . .so what do you have in the S4 gimbal and with the tracking and gimbal assist, what is that liike to fly? We need vid!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Interested to see if anyone else has good results with average cams.. i thought they needed 60 fps.. nice to see it works for you. Just the headtracking get's me thinking to get one eventhough i would just use it for the foip thanks for the tip.
When I calibrated mine with the dim light I had from the desktop lamp I was getting 14.83 FPS according to the calebration system. Worked fine for me :)

I know loads of people like to play in the dark and I think this is one of the main issues with web cams is coming from - they flat out need visible light, a LOT more than comes from a screen. I expect the RSI FOIP camera to use infra-red so you can play in the dark and FOIP/head-track at the same time.

Reactions: littlej0e

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wait, what, woah! Really?!!! I had no idea this was available! From the data in the camera SC knows how to paint the cockpit?!! That is really astonishing to me.

And the Vanguard, yeah. . .so what do you have in the S4 gimbal and with the tracking and gimbal assist, what is that liike to fly? We need vid!
I have stock load-out on the Vanguard as I've played the upgrade game before and lost all my equiptment the moment I had to claim the ship on insurance and it reverted to stock. Not going to wast my aUEC on gear and my time traveling the 'Verse to find it until equipment insurance is in.

I hit Gimbal Assist on it and instead of it having just one circle for the S4 gimbal there were two, one big one and one smaller one inside it... I assumed this means the s2 nose guns were too, but I have to do some testing to see if that's true, it could have been picking up there was a turret I could not slave to my controls, and adding that instead.

Yep, head tracking is in, when I calibrated it found my eyes, mouth and nose, my nose it seems is fairly large which mat have helped - turning my head left and right I could see it put tracking points on the tip of my nose and the corners near the back of the nostrils so I assume that's how they make it so accurate for looking round the cockpit.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Ah nice, was wondering if this was working. The seated only option sounds great!
At the moment I have a trackIr but always forget to start it up or cant be arsed to wear a hat or headset with the leds on it so this would be a great alternative!

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I did not realise it was head tracking either. I am 100% getting one.
Any recommendations for the best available? I have about £50 to spend

Last edited:

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Here is one I made this afternoon. excuse the crapness but hopefully it helps show it working:
Best video that I have watched in a long time.....(Except for Glorious Leader's videos of course. hehe)
I wonder if the Microsoft HD-3000 would work with Windows 7?
Much easier and better than I thought....mostly as it was Borked a few months ago.
Thank you @NaffNaffBobFace
👍

btw - You should try it with a Female Avatar for the TEST ladies & a giggle...Just a thought

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I think I need more light for mine to work.
The light souse I was using is a small desk lamp which in the dimmest parts of the video was bouncing light off the wall which got FOIP working okay and face/head tracking worked really well even in those cercumstances. The harsher lit parts that got more FOIP response were direct light from the lamp.

I know some people like to play in the dark and although cameras do have coping mecanisms for that they traditionally trade image quality for being able to see. The latest announcement on the RSI FOIP camera being a "Motion sensor" gives hope it'll be Infra Red so you'll still be able to play in the dark.

I think I need less beard for it to work 🤔
It would be interesting if face/head tracking still worked with a big beard? I have to say thats a feature that got my annention more than FOIP when I stumbled across it and i'd think it would only need your eyes and nose to be able to track that...? Might need to make a followup with a fake beard if I can find one ;)

You're a NATURAL
Thanks for the kind words Shive, my first. Could you tell I lost the original audio track because I didn't turn the mic on and had to make a voice over track?

Best video that I have watched in a long time.....(Except for Glorious Leader's videos of course. hehe)
I wonder if the Microsoft HD-3000 would work with Windows 7?
Much easier and better than I thought....mostly as it was Borked a few months ago.
Thank you @NaffNaffBobFace
👍

btw - You should try it with a Female Avatar for the TEST ladies & a giggle...Just a thought
Thanks for the kind feedback on the video, I took a look online and it seems it is compatible with Win7 (Other web-cam makers are available, the HD-3000 was the right price at the right time 😀)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The intro and outra are a work of genius @NaffNaffBobFace
Many thanks, I spent longer on the intro than I took to record the footage, and I spent less time to do the outro than it took to get the footage off my PC on to my shitposting latop. 😀

Forgot your password?