Hammerhead vs Polaris

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
I have no idea but....
They probably just didn't want to make another class lol. I'm showing the claimer as 100 vs 105 for the HH. It probably does need a little balance but the HH has half the mass so it should be quicker getting up to speed. It also has a 1/4 of the mass of a Polaris so it should fly circles around it. And since it is a smaller lighter ship vs a cap that's how it will stay up against the other ship. As far as opening it I'm sure there will be plenty of tools to open a ship because that's one of the game play mechanics that was sold.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It will be interesting to see how they start to balance the larger ships in the comping releases as I think they have finally got the flight mechanic were they want it as well as the tools required to make it easier to adjust thruster force amounts. Before the tool was created it was just one guy who spend a lot of time attempting to adjust the force amounts of a ship to make it sort of what the designers wanted. Now the designers can use the tool plug in the overall ship handling they want and it calculates the individual thruster values.

I have a feeling that we will see huge improvements in ship handling with respect to weights and feels starting with 3.5 and going forward as they start to balance flight characteristics beyond the fighters.

Last edited:

Egotistic88

Commander
Dec 30, 2018
RSI Handle
Egotistic88
They probably just didn't want to make another class lol. I'm showing the claimer as 100 vs 105 for the HH. It probably does need a little balance but the HH has half the mass so it should be quicker getting up to speed. It also has a 1/4 of the mass of a Polaris so it should fly circles around it. And since it is a smaller lighter ship vs a cap that's how it will stay up against the other ship. As far as opening it I'm sure there will be plenty of tools to open a ship because that's one of the game play mechanics that was sold.
I do not think high speed indicates acceleration. The Polaris is the same 155m as the Reclaimer only the Polaris is heavier by a fair margin. 9500 to 17k. I just don't see how it will run circles around it unless the Polaris has a top speed of say 45 m/s without AFB. Plus the Hammerhead really should never be fighting the Polaris head on. That isn't the role of the Hammerhead, we can imagine the front end as a ramming / boarding entry point though since its extremely unclear what those doors are for lol.

I don''t see how the top speed of a Polaris going forward and a HH going forward being so incredibly close (in theory) would help the HH T-bone a Polaris for example and be able to remain in the same spot it connected. Unless the HH somehow rams so hard it welds itself to the surface. I imagine though if the HH is able to do that much damage with crush factor to smash the Polaris in enough to stick. Then there is no reason to have marines. The HH impact force is enough alone to cripple a vessel. I think it would need some sort of clamp. I wish we knew what the hell the head doors were for because they seem so out of place lol. Technically they are a huge weak spot for ramming. If anything the head should just collapse right where the doors are.

As far as tools go I was more talking about how the hammerhead would stay in place. Everybody in the future better have access to a cutting torch on every ship.

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
Polaris, of course.

Much more gameplay styles. Not much worse vs fighters. Can support a full squadron of fighters. Can operate as a mobile base. Have medbay, prison, modern design, ... and enormous torps.

And it is a capital ship for sure with at least some capital sized components.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Necroing this because questions :)

Both are awsome missiles antifighter platform, but what about the torps on the Polaris?

While i own both, the Polaris is still not ingame and i am wondering what size its torpedoes will be. Everyone seems to say that they will be S9 size, and that is what we can see on RSI ship matrix. But from the Polaris brochuse, it is S6 torps. I havent followed the dev notes on the Polaris since its launch at all, so was it originally S6 then became S9? Or was it S9 launchers but only firing S6 torps size from the beginning? In that case most people seems to overlook that at all, and S6 dont make it a "cap killer", hardly a pimped Gladiator squadron...

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Necroing this because questions :)

Both are awsome missiles antifighter platform, but what about the torps on the Polaris?

While i own both, the Polaris is still not ingame and i am wondering what size its torpedoes will be. Everyone seems to say that they will be S9 size, and that is what we can see on RSI ship matrix. But from the Polaris brochuse, it is S6 torps. I havent followed the dev notes on the Polaris since its launch at all, so was it originally S6 then became S9? Or was it S9 launchers but only firing S6 torps size from the beginning? In that case most people seems to overlook that at all, and S6 dont make it a "cap killer", hardly a pimped Gladiator squadron...
The thread is 2 years old 🤣 --- might been better to start a new... We are allowed to do that... :like:

2018-abc--_LI.jpg

just saying ha ha!!

CHEERS! 🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻

Might as well do some shit posting wile I'm ad it ... 🤪

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hammerhead V Polaris?

There's only one way to find out,...........

1591528811531.png

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Years ago before they had their weapons sizes fleshed out, I'm almost positive they said they would be size 12 torpedos. Then they were revised to be size 10 at some point and I think thats where were at. You start lowering the torp size to size 9 and people are gonna be pissed. I don't think theyd want that. I'd feel real duped if it just fires s9's.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Years ago before they had their weapons sizes fleshed out, I'm almost positive they said they would be size 12 torpedos. Then they were revised to be size 10 at some point and I think thats where were at. You start lowering the torp size to size 9 and people are gonna be pissed. I don't think theyd want that. I'd feel real duped if it just fires s9's.
My bad yes i meant S10, dont know why i had 9 in my mind ^^ (tali size prolly). Still when you see the Polaris brochure here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/77186mzjsuinrr/source/Polaris-2.pdf it states S6 torps (page 21 and 24 of the brochure), 4 in the tube and 24 in reserve (28 total). This is the only source i have seen with S6 when it is S10 in the matrix.

edit : seems hardpoints are clarified here. 4XS10 launchers (but we are speaking about launchers still, not torp size, hope its also S10). https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15564-Q-A-RSI-Polaris-Part-II

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
CIG originally said the Polaris would have the largest, S10 torps in game, and the said later other ships would have S12 torps.
Only one ship currently has planned bigger torps then the Polaris and that is the Javelin with 2 S12 torps.

But as to the Necro's question, the Polaris has size 10 torps and can launch 4 at a time.

The Hammerhead is intended to punch down meaning to act as a fighter screen to protect capital ships from fighters and small bombers while the Polaris is meant to punch up and go after capital ships. So unless a Hammerhead is able to jump a Polaris and engage it in a quick close quarters battle the Hammerhead otherwise really doesn't have a chance against it even with its 6 quad S4's. The Polaris has one more turret then the Hammerhead but they are all twins so half the firepower so would not be as effective against fighters and bombers and should be a more costly ship to operate.

Honestly, the Hammerhead changes fleets to being the most effective will be 3 Polaris's teamed up with a Hammerhead and this removes the effectiveness of other capital ships, bombers, and fighters.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
IMO this comparison is silly as F... why...

Well it's like comparing a IRL Gunship cruiser to a Battleship cruiser... there is no day in a year where the gunship would even make a dent on the battle cruiser before getting destroyed.

Same thing as HH vs Polaris there is not a day in a year where the HH would make even scratch on the paint of a Polaris before it's destroyed by the Polaris..

Might as well compare Cyclone TR vs a Balista.. like eh! pointless. 🤣

Conclusion:
There is no VS, only way a HH win a fight against a Polaris is if the Polaris is un-maned ha ha ha...🤣🤣🤣

CHEERS! 🍻🍻🍻

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
But as to the Necro's question, the Polaris has size 10 torps and can launch 4 at a time.

Yes i found that link too, which clarifies about what we have on all hardpoints.

To go back to the original debate of Polaris vs HH, i agree they cant really compare they are very different ships with a different purpose.

But i do think a HH might still caught off-guard a Polaris if it can prevent the polaris to align to fire its torp by going close range and strafe in circle :) (that's another debate, why do you need to face ennemy to shoot torps/missile...) A Hammerhead with 2 or 3 turrets fitted with salvation distortion scatterguns should wreak havok to any large shields. And since a HH can easily position itself to fire with 5 of its turrets, thats 20 S4 guns firing at same time, if half are distortions guns, the rest just need to tear through armor once the shields are down. That is IF distortion guns work as intended (they used to) 😄 on the paper the huge dps with such guns can melt a shield in a few seconds and fry systems at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yes i found that link too, which clarifies about what we have on all hardpoints.

To go back to the original debate of Polaris vs HH, i agree they cant really compare they are very different ships with a different purpose.

But i do think a HH might still caught off-guard a Polaris if it can prevent the polaris to align to fire its torp by going close range and strafe in circle :) (that's another debate, why do you need to face ennemy to shoot torps/missile...) A Hammerhead with 2 or 3 turrets fitted with salvation distortion scatterguns should wreak havok to any large shields. And since a HH can easily position itself to fire with 5 of its turrets, thats 20 S4 guns firing at same time, if half are distortions guns, the rest just need to tear through armor once the shields are down. That is IF distortion guns work as intended (they used to) 😄 on the paper the huge dps with such guns can melt a shield in a few seconds and fry systems at the same time.
You are right if the Hammerhead is able to get into close quarters with a Polaris before the Polaris perceives the Hammerhead as a threat and the Hammerhead fires first then it does have a chance of taking out the Polaris. The Polaris doesn't have capital shields and we do not know what armor does nor what it means to have light armor of the Polaris. It might even end up being the Hammerhead is slightly more agile than the Polaris. But the Hammerhead has until the Polaris gets a missile lock on the Hammerhead to disable the Polaris ability to fire torpedos otherwise the match will be easily won by the Polaris.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
It all depends on the hammerheads laser damage output compared to the Polaris's shield strength and regen rate. The polaris isn't as strong as you think based on it's current stats.

With current stats the hammerhead should be able to take on a polaris's shield as it only has 2 x large like the carrack. The 890jump has 2 x capital class shields I.e a big upgrade over the carrack polaris. So has a hammerhead taken out an 890jump easily? We should find out for science!!! How quickly does a fully manned hammerhead take out a carrack then how quickly can it take out a 890j?

Forgot your password?