Hanger pass?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Did all of the hangers that we bought suddenly change to a hanger pass? I'm not sure, this seems like a good idea but what happens to the hanger flair? Is it now Captain's quarters flair?

Hanger.png

Reactions: Garonman

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Mine seem to show "Hangar pass" in default view, but revert to "Hangar" once "Hangar XPLORer" kicks in.

I seem to recall seeing something on Spectrum about it some time ago, but can't recall the thread.

There is the possibility that it is designed around allowing players to use the "pass" to create a permanent home for that ship at a location other than their "home" - So if your "Home" is in Microtech, you can use a pass to make the "home" for a particular ship be at Area 18, for example.

Reactions: Garonman and Vavrik

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
All of them changed over, I think the last day but not at the same time.
All my packages have been changed also. They all show now "hangar pass" as you.

Would be interesting to hear from those ppl who bought those high end hangars (bigger hangars) as standalone when it was possible back in the days, and that now see all their hangar flatten to the same level...

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
All my packages have been changed also. They all show now "hangar pass" as you.

Would be interesting to hear from those ppl who bought those high end hangars (bigger hangars) as standalone when it was possible back in the days, and that now see all their hangar flatten to the same level...
Well, I'd assume "Revel & York Hangar - Hangar Pass" is different from "Self-Land Hangar - Hangar Pass." We gonna have a riot if they all got reduced to just one hangar type. (Particularly since we've already seen those fancy ass hangars in game.)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What was the detail of the objection to the original hangers? Not textured enough or some such? I liked them and don't recall any complainst about them before CIG removed them. I thought there was some rumor they removed them because they demanded too much from the servers?

Reactions: FZD and Vavrik

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
What was the detail of the objection to the original hangers? Not textured enough or some such? I liked them and don't recall any complainst about them before CIG removed them. I thought there was some rumor they removed them because they demanded too much from the servers?
I think it wasn’t an objection so much as they were a prototype area to view/drool over your ships, long before the PU. Once there was a PU where you could pull your ships out and fly them, the hangars (as they were) no longer served much of a purpose and would have taken dev resource to maintain that was felt better used elsewhere. I guess the hangar passes will give us access to instances of their respective type and size at physical locations in the PU, like the habs we wake up in after logging on. I hope they will reuse as much of the original hangar assets (design, textures and shaders) as they can In the current engine. They were kind of cool.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
I can’t think of a non-immersion-breaking way to use hangar flair in that design though, with a pass to a hangar that isn’t permanently yours, but has your precious nik-naks and tool kits strewn around it.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I can’t think of a non-immersion-breaking way to use hangar flair in that design though, with a pass to a hangar that isn’t permanently yours, but has your precious nik-naks and tool kits strewn around it.
There are ways of doing this but there is high risk that any item placed in it, will respawn in a slightly different position which could burry it inside the walls or furniture, or launch them. That tends to happen when objects are physicalized, but that's required if you want to have objects that can be casually moved. Imagine if it's a knife you got in your subscriber flair that gets launched? CIG seems to be playing with phantom objects (you can see, but can pass through, but they haven't got it quite right yet.

Thing is, this was solved by other games, even some open source games so all they need to do is go to GitHub and look at how it's done. Sometimes I get frustrated when they seem to want to reinvent the wheel. But we'll see what they come up with I guess?

Reactions: Raven_King

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
They were different code, which was quite buggy and causing issues both within the modules and the PU.

Forgot your password?