Here's the Crusader Ares

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Now this looks cool! So do people think it is carrier based or a long range (has a bed/living quarters)? I'm hoping it's the later, so you can operate solo (which it mentioned I think), and go hunting for pirate Caterpillars and larger.
I like the Ion, stalking your prey from a distance.

Reactions: Blind Owl and Phil

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Now this looks cool! So do people think it is carrier based or a long range (has a bed/living quarters)? I'm hoping it's the later, so you can operate solo (which it mentioned I think), and go hunting for pirate Caterpillars and larger.
It's a single-seater inter-system fighter. It doesn't look to have a bed/living quarters from the screenshots of how the pilot gets in and of the pilot seat. It's similar to the Hornet, Saber, Gladius pilot seat. It really looks like it will be best suited to be carried around by a Kraken and It might fit in the Idris as its similar in size to the Eclipse. No clue if it will fit in a Polaris. But it does look to fulfill the role of heavy fighter and it really is aimed to hit hard at large ships just not with torpedos.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Why not both? lol

It's definitely a niche product, but what a cool niche!
I don't know if it will be thatt niche onestly, I mean think about the Teater of War where you have to destroy ground veicles with ships, whis will be a perfect support ship for that role (the Inferno version I mean).
As always my suggestion is not to be limited by the initial role a ship is deigned for, looks only at the coaracteristics of that ship and see if that will fit in a particular task, if it does then who cares what was designed for??

BoredGamer and STL Youngblod have already done a comment video on this aspect: current estimations is that is a carrier based fighter, with long range (so that the carrier can stay out of the way) but no bad. Is basically a non topedos based version of the Eclipse (and I can see it in more role than a simple capital-ship hunter).

I have no idea if i want this ship or not... do I want one? If I do why do I want one?
The answare is Beer, Beer and Beer, tah besically translate into yes you want one, better both and you do becouse is cool and have a FB gatling strapped on it (at least one of the two...).
Come on you know that thing will put a smile on your face every time you'll pull the trigger...

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I don't think we know enough to make a call on this one. For that gun to be useful, the rotation rate has to be very high like on a dogfighter. For it to dogfight it can't skid through turns like a Vanguard and for it to be survivable, it has to have good straif rates. We don't know about any of these.

We do know that 3 medium shields will make it devilishly hard to take down, even if you can hit it easily. Looks to have the range of a Vanguard too. I would call it very promising. A ship this small with 3 medium shields. . .sounds like it could take pounding forever, and might for once be a reason for a laser. This is the kind of bird that can go into a fight and stay in as long as needed.

On principle though, I do not like this trend that every new ship has more gun than those before. I would not be surprised if they kick this back to S6.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I get why the Ion has 2 power plants for the laser canon but why does it get one more shield generator than the Inferno? I don't get that bit.

It seems like these ships would work well together, IE. both ships approach a HH, the Ion opens fire and takes the HH shields down, the Inferno moves in closer and unloads that Gatling gun on the HH cutting her in half.

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
Before you get excited, just some data.

Ares S7 Laser repeater would do 2206 DPS with 141.8k missiles damage.
If you slave the turret on a Warden and use fix S5 it would do 2504 DPS with 47.2k missiles damage.
MIS has gimbal 1920 DPS and a turret 598 DPS with 126.8k missiles damage.
Where this dps stats coming from?

The only other s7 gun that I know of is M9A Laser Autocannon with 38 shots/min and 1742 dps

It may not be suitable for dogfight, but hell, you can still mount a S6 gimbal to that thing and that is not weak either, plus i suppose that a S7 weapon can do pretty a mess on a small dogfighter even if it take it with few shot (also keep in mind the future component system and the Time-to-disable think...).

Beteween the two variant the ION seams to be the best option with one additional cooler and one additional shield... hoping you can mount the big BRRRRRRRRRRRT event on that....
I do not think that you would be able to gimbal s6 weapons on those. As well as I do not think you would be able to cusomize weapon at all. It seems like weapons were made custom for those ships and they are integrated with hull.
From brochure:
"Behring Applied Technology devised the SF7 weapon
series specifically for the Crusader Star Fighter chassis.
The chassis utilizes a fixed size 7 weapon mount that
not only allows a much larger weapon than normal but
enables the chosen gun to be integrated into the body
and functionality of the ship."

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I get why the Ion has 2 power plants for the laser canon but why does it get one more shield generator than the Inferno? I don't get that bit.

It seems like these ships would work well together, IE. both ships approach a HH, the Ion opens fire and takes the HH shields down, the Inferno moves in closer and unloads that Gatling gun on the HH cutting her in half.
Because it doesn't have the hull armor strength of the Inferno.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So the Inferno is tankier, IE more armor to take hits with?
Both are rather tanky. I just think given they reduced the powerplant in the Inferno as it's not really needed for the gun it no longer had the power for the third shield so they increased its armor. The advantage of having more armor is it will protect it from ballistics more than the Ares which means the Inferno might have an upper hand if they go against each other. The biggest downside to the Inferno is going to be its limited ammo and needing to return to get resupplied.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
So the Inferno is tankier, IE more armor to take hits with?
not necessarily. more resistant to ballistics probably, but the Ion will be more tanky to lasers. They complement each other and cover each other's weakness.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I think this ship is cool, it also gives sort of a niche to a fighter class, now we have EMP, Quantum disruption, stealth, bombers/torpedo's and now we have a rail gun! I think options are good and both of these ships bring something others cant in specific situations, it adds to the uniqueness and immersion of the game, I personally love the idea and was waiting on a Crusader fighter and like I said in early Nov this was something I thought was missing or could be added as we already had torpedo ships it was only natural to add a rail/cannon type capital hunter.

Forgot your password?