HiDef Test Armor

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Now you're thinking, you want to snag a delightful set of your own HD Test armour, after all, it seems made for us. Seems simple enough, take a bunker defend mission, fly there in something like a connie or cutty. Bring your tractor tool, after the fun pile on all the dead bodies, friendlies or not into your meat wagon and haul the unfortunate souls back to a station.

Not quite. As @Stevetank and I determined, as soon as you dump a body who previously owned said suit of armour onto your ship, the turrets no longer like you and try to light you up. So you think I'm going to be clever and get there in a rover, or wait until all the bodies except the sensitive ones are on the ship, have a friend at the controls, rapid pile on the remainders and take off before you blow up.

Yes, this does work. However as it turns out, lawful space stations do not like this and as soon as we QT'd within range of Everus, every missile turret on the place sent us seasons greetings. This is the case whether you've just got the remains in the hold, or stripped them and transferred the gear into the ship's inventory. I also tried just pulling it off the guys and laying it on the floor in boxes.

I'd like to point out at this point, no one has a crime stat. So there are two ways, just do the mission in a flight suit, equip a suit of armour from one casualty and exit to menu. This lets you respawn in bed with your new kit. Or if you're really quick, fly under the station really fast and dump it all into personal inventory there.

I haven't checked yet to see if GrimHex has an issue with kit re-purposing.

1638403221347.png

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I have several sets of this and the medium armor variant, easy to get them without getting CS or shot at.
  1. Use the tractor beam to load the bodies to the bunker elevator
  2. Use the tractor beam to load them onto your ship
  3. Loot all the gear you want off them into ship storage
  4. Use the tractor beam to toss the bodies off your ship
  5. Rinse
  6. Repeat
  7. Drink beer as needed

Reactions: maynard and Vavrik

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I have several sets of this and the medium armor variant, easy to get them without getting CS or shot at.
  5. Rinse
  6. Repeat
  7. Drink beer as needed
We tried that, with the armour loaded into ship inventory, they were shooting at us once we got close to the station

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
We tried that, with the armour loaded into ship inventory, they were shooting at us once we got close to the station
...could you have possibly accidentally shot some of the security forces yourself while doing the mission?

Reactions: Vavrik

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
...could you have possibly accidentally shot some of the security forces yourself while doing the mission?
We don't accidentally shoot them.... it's more on purpose with regrets.

We did try again and make sure that no security personnel were harmed by our hands. The god AI seems to know that the armor doesn't belong to you and opens fire.

• Wut
Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
We don't accidentally shoot them.... it's more on purpose with regrets.

We did try again and make sure that no security personnel were harmed by our hands. The god AI seems to know that the armor doesn't belong to you and opens fire.
Very weird, I have I think five sets of both the ORV and ADP Hurston Security armors, and the only times I've had issues were when I shot any of the guards myself, normally I just fly right back to EH, get permission to land, land, then unload the armor, then go back out for more shenanigans.
Speaking of which, I really need to lock down the Hurston Security Depot for a while to try to get the NPC wearing the Hurston Security Elite Medium Armor to spawn. I've gone twice so far, but he wasn't there either time.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Its possible you got some sort of bug.

Putting the bodies on your ship and then looting then allows you to drop their armor directly into ship inventor when its working right.

If you have no crimestat, its possibly just that server that is acting weird and it should be ok next time you log in.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Let me know if you get the urge to stop in the middle of doorways and block the entrance, just like real NPC's.
I can do this - get totally stuck and had to wait for a player to come and open the door to release me! :(

ScreenShot-2021-11-23_20-01-08-5E9.jpg

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
[RANT]
  5. Rinse
  6. Repeat
  7. Drink beer as needed
props to the people who come up with the clever hacks, but

this is a perfect illustration of the limitations of NPC gameplay

once a hack's known, you're just following a recipe

we call that 'grinding'

playing against other humans is more satisfying because they're not so consistent or predictable

where can we make as much money PVPing as we can doing NPC missions?

so far, SC lacks incentives to PVP

CIG will have to maintain a big crew creating new missions and tweaking their AI to keep players' interest

or, they could implement game mechanics that reward PVP and save themselves some money while keeping us engaged

humans are aggressive, territorial, greedy status seekers

if CIG builds mechanics that tap into these fundamental human drives they will have the greatest game of all time

if they don't we will lose interest, and move on
[/RANT]

Last edited:
  • Wut
Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Those NPCs had (sub)routines, (database)cohorts and (asset)families. You guys are heartless.
I'd like to point out, the first time we did this, we were bringing all the bodies back to be laid to rest in a respectful manner so the families of both sides could have closure.

My theory is, after you get shot at, it's all fair game.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'd like to point out, the first time we did this, we were bringing all the bodies back to be laid to rest in a respectful manner so the families of both sides could have closure.
You sir are a good person and should receive some kind of "Modestly Priced Receptacle" Spectrum badge for your attempts to lay the recently de-animated to rest.

Forgot your password?