Hmm... ISP free speed increase from 100Mbps to 200Mbps?

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
I don't know what my speed is these days but no datacap is nice here in japan. i pay i think 130 usd for cable(with special movie channels) a homephone and unlimited data at some godly speed it's good to be in japan you all should move here.
This is complicated .. it all has to be measured together with salary, education, entertainment etc. How much is your per hour payment and how much is to get decent 1000 ft apartment per month (rent OR buy ) ?

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
as long as you are above water on required bandwidth limit. . .
But you understand, what this means is my question. Does the bandwidth cited, "200 Mbps" or whatever, refer to the speed of the packet of the entire pipeline? I had thought it refers only to the packet speed, but that the packets are interrupted and if there is no averaging done, then the "limit" is essentially a worthless figure. Which is it, packet or time averaged data taken over sufficiently long period to account for gaps between packets?

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
But you understand, what this means is my question. Does the bandwidth cited, "200 Mbps" or whatever, refer to the speed of the packet of the entire pipeline?
Neither. It refers to the theoretical maximum number of bytes per second that could be pushed out through pipeline.

I had thought it refers only to the packet speed, but that the packets are interrupted and if there is no averaging done, then the "limit" is essentially a worthless figure.
It usually is a good representation of your ability to download big files from the interwebz . For the rest you have ookla ( www.speedtest.net ) and similar tools which let you select servers to measure your connectivity to the area of the planet you're interested in.

Reactions: Deroth and Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So this speedtest is what you want to check before you buy a data subscription for gaming? And this would allow you to even choose an apartment based upon the service it could provide?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So this speedtest is what you want to check before you buy a data subscription for gaming? And this would allow you to even choose an apartment based upon the service it could provide?

Just remember more then the theoretical maximum number of bytes per second that could be pushed out through pipeline, factors such as number of hops, latency and stability all greatly effect the multiplayer gaming experience. More bandwidth does not increase performance it just means you can now possibly share your connection with other members in the household.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
This is complicated .. it all has to be measured together with salary, education, entertainment etc. How much is your per hour payment and how much is to get decent 1000 ft apartment per month (rent OR buy ) ?
I'm currently renting a 1500ft house for 1k a month(600 for utilities). I'm about to start buying a 2000sqft house with 5500 sqft of land for 220k with renovations(I'm doing 90% of the actual renovation with fellow coworkers). that will cost me about 500 a month for 15 years 400 a month for 35 years. on average a 1000sqft house in japan is about 600-900 depending where you go in japan.(you can get cheaper in other areas). as for my hourly pay i'll keep that a secret as thats to personal to share here but its pretty up there since i have a unique skillset. on average people make anywhere from 50k-100k a year depending what they do(if you are an actual professional in the field) 20-40k if you dont have a skillset. If you speak japanese the world is pretty much open. most people come here and start as english teachers earninga bout 30-40k a year and then move into a professional field later.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
I don't know whether there is a comprehensive test to ensure you have "gaming" quality internet connection or not :(

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
I'm about to start buying a 2000sqft house with 5500 sqft of land for 220k with renovations that will cost me about 500 a month for 15 years 400 a month for 35 years.
I need your help with this math 500*15*12 = 90k 400*35*12 = 168k ... neither one could pay 220k, so I'm missing something, but what exactly ?

on average people make anywhere from 50k-100k a year depending what they do(if you are an actual professional in the field) 20-40k if you dont have a skillset.
so 70k average with some degree in the field ... hey .. not sure about US, but it looks like japan is pretty close to Canada .. the only thing that I'm a bit concerned of is distance between house and job for people who have to be in the office daily

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Just remember more then the theoretical maximum number of bytes per second that could be pushed out through pipeline, factors such as number of hops, latency and stability all greatly effect the multiplayer gaming experience. More bandwidth does not increase performance it just means you can now possibly share your connection with other members in the household.
based on dlsreports.com I'd rather say - the wider is pipeline the more lag you'd have (as most of consumer grade hardware isn't ready )

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I need your help with this math 500*15*12 = 90k 400*35*12 = 168k ... neither one could pay 220k, so I'm missing something, but what exactly ?
sorry had my numbers backwards its 500usd for 35 years 350 usd for 15 years. the house is 180k the renovation loan is for 40k. so add those 2 numbers together and you get the total of 273K by the end of the 35 years.If i pay off sooner obviously this is much lower(ill pay off as fast as possible hopeing by 10 or 11 years depending what happens during that time.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
wow... could that be capitalism competing for your business?
You would think so right?

But no.

Capitalism would be Google Fiber actually coming to neighborhood and giving me 1000Mbps (5x my current speed) for the same price.

Capitalism has failed me here because AT&T and Time Warner (Spectrum) have lobbied, paid off city councils and blocked Google Fiber with every trick in the book to ensure they can not compete in my area.

This is not a competitive market, ask most people living in the US, we do not have many options for an ISP.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
I find it hard to believe that anyone is getting better internet service after I was assured many times that doing away with Net Neutrality meant we were all going to be watching Netflix in stop and go since everything was getting throttled.

By the way, anyone here had their business limited or prices raised through the roof since Ajit Pai killed the internet?

Reactions: Deroth

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
This shows up in my email this morning...

Suspicious...

I bet I get another email in a few weeks asking if I like the new speeds. If I do, then consider the new plan for $100/m, otherwise keep the current payment, but get downgraded to 50Mbps.
Same thing happened to me 2 years ago, when T-Home realized they were about to lose their monopoly on our street as another ISP was gonna install proper 1Gig fiber. Ofc, we didn't know this was about to happen. So my rate got doubled for free, masquerading as a christmas/year-end gift to loyal customers. Prices didn't change, still got the same net with same price.
Although as you're in the US, I would expect that your suspicion of shady ISP practices is justified.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I find it hard to believe that anyone is getting better internet service after I was assured many times that doing away with Net Neutrality meant we were all going to be watching Netflix in stop and go since everything was getting throttled.
That is not what NN is about.

Net Neutrality being gone means that my ISP can slow down MY access Netflix to the point where it is unwatchable, then either force Netflix to pay them more money for a "fast lane", or force me to pay money to speed up my access.

Net Neutrality being gone means your ISP can, if it wants, block your access to Star Citizen, then ask you to pay up if you want to access it.

Being pro Net Neutrality means all data is treated equally and you can not be charged extra depending on what you want to do with that data.

Here are some examples of NN violations before the law came in, and what can happen again now that its gone:

https://www.internetvoices.org/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Capitalism would be Google Fiber actually coming to neighborhood and giving me 1000Mbps (5x my current speed) for the same price.
I know... you're still jaded about google internet... but Im sure that they will eventually make it to your town. You might like one of these areas too.

upload_2018-3-13_22-8-38.png

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I know... you're still jaded about google internet... but Im sure that they will eventually make it to your town. You might like one of these areas too.
I know very well about Google Fiber's moves, its supposed to come to my town. I have the t-shirt for signing up on their website, but they are not coming anymore. They have stopped their expansion and laying down cable.

Why?

Because the encumbent ISPs want to protect their territories. Just go read about what they have done to block google fiber from expanding. Its still capitalism, just not the competitive kind, more like the monopolistic kind.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I know very well about Google Fiber's moves, its supposed to come to my town. I have the t-shirt for signing up on their website, but they are not coming anymore. They have stopped their expansion and laying down cable.
I could only assume google stopped building because of some financial decisions (ROI might have been to low) - Market decision, who knows... at least you got a T-Shirt.

Forgot your password?