Horrible Star Citizen Attack Piece! Be Strong!

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Another (journalist?) who will hate you forever.

1. Will or even have the investors (Calders) impacted on development, should we worry?

2. I have read people saying that new players investing are being scammed and should have perhaps been wiser. I joined in 2016 and have $100 or so in it, I played today and what it gives you now is many times better than 2016, So those who put $100 in in 2012 have got a bargain if they have had 8 years of this community.

3. The community it has produced is brilliant, helpful and amusing and well worth joining. I was playing an unrelated MMO, I was approached by a player who said "is that rear Intruder from test"

4.You are correct about money being relative to the person. In December 1986 I was living in an unheated house in Stoke on Trent. It was snowing and I had 50 pence in my pocket, it was my bus fare to get to the bank to get my wages out to buy food. I tried to hide from the carol singers but failed and had to give the money to charity and walk 3 miles through the snow to get my wages. I can not afford $27,000 but good for those that can.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I was thinking it would be nice if a triple A game required me to upgraded my 6 year old computer to be able to play. One thing that we do have to be careful of is if we give them all of the time and money then would they always be caught in scope creep? There is always a balance between releasing to soon and not having most of the game done and needing far more time in QA and staying in development for far to long and no longer being relevant/graphic unimpressive. The other issue you often run into as development drags on is burnout of the creative process with in the leadership and either they just no longer care or they move on to new projects and so the game suffers from lack of focus or change in focus which results in a gameplay experience that is jarring.

All of this works against the project and its always been interesting to see how different teams combat the balance act between releasing to soon a unfinished game and a game that dragged on to long and is underwhelming in its graphics and a bland or disconnected story. Games are not the only creative endeavor that suffers from a story that weakens as the project time goes on. In fact the easiest is to look at any TV series that goes on after 4 or more seasons while there is a degree of nostalgia the stories themselves either become rehashing of a previous stories or the whole show goes through a rework as new writers come on and leave their own mark.

Games have the added constraint that game engines needed to be locked in at the start of a project and as time goes on the engine becomes dated in its capabilities or the studio has to start spending more of their development budget on porting and reworking assets to the new standards.

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
"CIG won't release because they make more money now" is such a dumb claim to make.
Like, first off, they're not making any money right now. Those aren't purchases, they're pledges.
They go to development. And you can verify this by going through CIGs very much public finances. But then again, I wouldn't expect much from a urinalist whose main source is reddit.

I was thinking it would be nice if a triple A game required me to upgraded my 6 year old computer to be able to play.
Yeah, my 11 year old computer is still waiting for a 3A game it can't run, so, wouldn't hold my breath. I'll probably upgrade in a year or two, just because I wanna.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I went and took a look at that site and ITK is really weird.

The whole site looks to just be Advertorials (advert in the form of editorial content) so I can only assume once they filled the site with articles they were paid by someone to write, they realised they then had to find some way to actually get some views on them...?

The piece might have been an attempt to get some site visits to justify to their advertisers their money is worth it... or CIG declined to buy an advertorial and they put this in to spite 'em? I've seen at lest two UK tabloid news papers do that after advertisers close their accounts, coverage goes from occasional positive advertorials to blanket negative coverage, usually poorly researched and hair-triggered.

Last edited:

Man-0

Vice Admiral
Jun 19, 2020
RSI Handle
Man0
It's really easy to just selectively grab negative threads from reddit, a monkey could be trained to do that. One of the comments on one of those reddit threads made a good point though.
The article claims that ~300 million in funding is a lot for a game that hasn't come out, try comparing that to EA that make over 1.4 billion a year with their shitty $60 releases and microtransactions.
Also need to remember that Cloud Imperium has over 600 employees and Studios in multiple countries. How the hell else are they supposed to pay these people? Should they be expected to work for free? Honestly if Journalism is this easy then I'm in the wrong profession right now.

Reactions: Bambooza and Scape

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
At this point, I'll likely hold off upgrading my PC until Star Citizen goes gold. So I figure I have another ten years to get out of my current beast before I have to worry about it.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I watched about 5 minutes of the last video, this time I don't even care enough to give them a view. Anybody interested in sending them a bag of dicks? Specifically yellow and black ones :D

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
I honestly feel sorry for these online journalists. They need to constantly throw shit at the wall and not care if it sticks.
They could take the time and write a proper piece, but often take easy mode route and regurgitate crap.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?