How do you 'do' Quantanium?

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Haven't played around with this yet and need to try it. I *think* I need at least a Prospector (only at asteroids, so ROC won't work, right?), find/mine the ore from an asteroid, then take it to an R&R to refine it, and then use a cargo ship to move the refined stuff to a big port to sell. Is this basically the correct procedure? Saving up from bounties to either rent/buy a prospector to try out soon!

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well you have to use iether a Prospector or a MOLE, since Quantanium is not minable by ROC or hand mining equipment.
Also, regardless of the ship you'll choose, you'll need a new minig head, sice the stock one will caouse a lot of headhacke: you can use the Helix (cost around 100k) or the Lancet (corst around 25k) both are good enough for dealing with quantanium deposit.

Best mining location for quantanium is the Aaron halo. you can travel there by traveling to of from Microtech and break off quantum travel at the right moment. Keep in mind this location is really crowded and a good spot for pirate to fish for pray.

One mined remenber that is a un-stable material and will degradate over time, so be use to have a good Qauntum drive to allow you to travel fast toward MIC-L1 (or the nearest L1 station) for refing. pro tip: as you land store your ship by ASOP terminal, this will stopt the count down of the degradation and will allow you all the time you need to get to the refinery.

For refining the most common used metod is DInix Solvation: it's slow as hell having a required time around 28h, but it give you a good yeld and doen't cost a leg and a kidney.

For selling best place is Area 18 TDD since it has a higter selling cap and regeneration (that is true for all the matirial btw...).
A war do of advice: when you retrive the refined material be sure to be able to store all of it: all the extra goods that can be fitted in the cargo are lost!

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
This covers a lot and is 3.16 so current info.

Also the guy has the kind of voice that makes a man want to strip down and take a nice, hot bubble bath.

ETA: I usually don't bother with modules but there are some that help limit the amount of inert material you collect. Those are probably worth looking into since the Prospector only carries 32 SCU. I'm using a Mole so capacity isn't usually an issue for me.

Good luck! :o7:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
We have a quite active mining community in TEST. They live in our Discord. And you can mine Quantanium with either a Prospector or MOLE. I strongly suggest you start mining with a Prospector and if you want, upgrade to MOLE when you get the hang of it, and have flown as crew in one for a while, and have a couple of friends who can fly as crew in yours. That makes it easier to fight someone looking to blow you up. Mining with crew in the MOLE will dampen a bit of your earnings but it increases the fun at the same time.

I mine almost exclusively in a Prospector though, and there is nothing wrong with my income from that. Or the fun while we're doing things together.
Monday evenings there is an event for folks interested in or already experienced with mining.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
LoudGuns' mining guides on YouTube are also really good, e.g.:
Prospector and MOLE are both fine for mining quant. I use a mole, but I can see why some prefer a prospector. As the guides above explain, you have to change the loadout to have any chance, which I believe means you can’t mine quant with a rented ship, you have to own it. But you can make back the cost of either of those ships in a 5-10 hours in-game time mining quant. It can be a little boring and occasionally very exciting for all the wrong reasons, but it really is a good way to make money and the learning curve is greatly flattened by watching the experts videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scape and Vavrik

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Me and a mate just tried the old quant tonight - never done it before as the rocks always seemed way to hard but changed our lasers out to lancets and added some modules and wow - much easier.

Both of us ended up with 3 big loads. This is by far the most I've ever had refining :D

ScreenShot-2022-01-21_22-52-31-0CC.jpg

ScreenShot-2022-01-22_00-26-30-E30.jpg

Thanks all!!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Me and a mate just tried the old quant tonight - never done it before as the rocks always seemed way to hard but changed our lasers out to lancets and added some modules and wow - much easier.

Both of us ended up with 3 big loads. This is by far the most I've ever had refining :D

View attachment 22367
View attachment 22366

Thanks all!!
FANTASTIC!

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King

View attachment 22367
View attachment 22366

Thanks all!!
Nicely done! A couple of days waiting, a slightly tense trip to Port Tressler and Area 18’s TDD and you’re going to be in the money. Gratz!

Reactions: Scape and Vavrik

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Nicely done! A couple of days waiting, a slightly tense trip to Port Tressler and Area 18’s TDD and you’re going to be in the money. Gratz!
Yes that worked quite nicely!

ScreenShot-2022-01-23_21-51-01-D5E.jpg

Forgot your password?