I really, really want to like this game.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I really want to like Star Citizen.
Last summer when they delayed the release of 3.0 they said it was due to stability and because it needed more polish. It turns out neither polish or stability are all that important to CIG.

We had a 3.0 delivery that was not ready for prime time. With no regards to stability, and bugs that they claimed were fixed, to include showing them fixing the bugs on bug smashers, yet the very same bugs are still present.

The feature creep is off the charts. The QA is unacceptable. The "vast planets" are boring lifeless rocks and are all the same except for color.

The Subscriber ship of the month, for the second month in a row, can't even keep the HUD up and online.

The Mobiglass bug that locks you up, since the PTU release is still present.

The Frame Rate is atrocious.

I just cancelled my Sub. No more money from me until they start showing they actually are serious about making a game instead of playing at making a game.

Man I am frustrated with this mess they have created.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
For me, there is no game until we are in there as an org, fighting, building, exploring and doing things which build our shared experience!

Sure I like seeing new ships make it into the game.

Yes, seeing new moons or planets will be very cool.

But nothing of that matters to me until there is actual game play to invest in.

This is all simply different ingredients coming together that will make the final cake.

At the moment we are licking the unbaked batter and commenting how tasty it is.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
For me, there is no game until we are in there as an org, fighting, building, exploring and doing things which build our shared experience!

Sure I like seeing new ships make it into the game.

Yes, seeing new moons or planets will be very cool.

But nothing of that matters to me until there is actual game play to invest in.

This is all simply different ingredients coming together that will make the final cake.

At the moment we are licking the unbaked batter and commenting how tasty it is.
I like this analogy. If if it gets frustrating I just walk away for a couple weeks or until the next release then try again. Right now it is not a game. It's some of the components that are going to make up the game. Logging in and playing now should be more about testing mechanics and stressing the system (even though it can't take much stress).

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I haven't played the PU for over a month now. I go into AC and you get much better frame rates and some competitive play so I'm still getting value out of that, so i'm licking the mixing bowl ;)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
You're just burnt. Step back, take a breath and go play something else. Come back in a couple months, take a look, and repeat.

And remember that SC is still in alpha, for better or worse.
My burn out is based on the unprofessionalism, the stupid levels of feature creep and the attempts to BS us, the backers.

I worked QA for a 3D Graphics Company from 2007 to 2011 and then ran Software QA for that company from 2011-2016.

I look at the crap they let through and have to ask myself was this tested at all? I know it was, but apparently not on the production build and probably not even on anything more than a local test build with just the one fix. Hell half the time they aren't even running the same build on all their servers.

They talk about things like tasks, and stories, and Epics like they invented the concept and it is all new. What they are doing is using "Agile" words without using Agile methodology. You don't work on software for a year, or even 3 months and then start testing the project in the last month before a release. You test throughout the process. At the end of each "Sprint" which is a 2-3 week cycle, you put the test build in front of your private test team.

The excuse of "alpha" only flies if you are actually putting out builds. Especially builds that fix bugs.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My burn out is based on the unprofessionalism, the stupid levels of feature creep and the attempts to BS us, the backers.

I worked QA for a 3D Graphics Company from 2007 to 2011 and then ran Software QA for that company from 2011-2016.

I look at the crap they let through and have to ask myself was this tested at all? I know it was, but apparently not on the production build and probably not even on anything more than a local test build with just the one fix. Hell half the time they aren't even running the same build on all their servers.

They talk about things like tasks, and stories, and Epics like they invented the concept and it is all new. What they are doing is using "Agile" words without using Agile methodology. You don't work on software for a year, or even 3 months and then start testing the project in the last month before a release. You test throughout the process. At the end of each "Sprint" which is a 2-3 week cycle, you put the test build in front of your private test team.

The excuse of "alpha" only flies if you are actually putting out builds. Especially builds that fix bugs.
Dude.gif

Last edited:

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
It turns out neither polish or stability are all that important to CIG.
*facepalms* do you even know what an alpha is? and don't say just yes, because for what I can read, you are specting a final game with the alpha releases. If you don't want to play a mehs with bugs, stay away from the game and wait for a more stable build or the beta release.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
*facepalms* do you even know what an alpha is? and don't say just yes, because for what I can read, you are specting a final game with the alpha releases. If you don't want to play a mehs with bugs, stay away from the game and wait for a more stable build or the beta release.
I not only know what Alpha is, I know what Alpha is supposed to be and what testing should be going on if you ever want to progress out of alpha.

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
I not only know what Alpha is, I know what Alpha is supposed to be and what testing should be going on if you ever want to progress out of alpha.
Because all the games are the same.... right.......... sure your experience in other game company that debeloped other game is the same for all the games. Again, now you are not playing a game, you are testing. If you don't want to, just stay away from the project untill it's more stable.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Probably, but it is an opinion based on years of experience of what Agile actually is and what it is supposed to be. And Unlike CIG I have actually run QA that has published software. :slight_smile:
But remember they are making TWO games, you are only really privy to SC. Most of SQ42 has been developed in the dark and could come out of nowhere and launch this year or next, and suddenly you'll see where they spent the time you think they have been wasting. There is a big concierge event in May - I hope it is not coincidence.

My theory? They are going to be focusing on SQ42 way harder than SC at the moment and probably have for a long time. It is no coincidence the ships being made first are those to feature in SQ42 and if any ship has made it to the PU my guess is it is most likely there as a testbed for those ships and their mechanics.

Incidentally, did I ever mention I have experience of Functional Testing specializing in Exploratory? Yes... I'm one of them (or was)... "Say, I wonder what button X would do if I clicked it after doing action Z? Oh... Oh dear." And smoke testing things that passed in previous sprints but oh, wow after three more sprints have passed that stuff mysteriously doesn't work anymore? Ohhh, teh lulz, teh lulz.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Because all the games are the same.... right.......... sure your experience in other game company that debeloped other game is the same for all the games. Again, now you are not playing a game, you are testing. If you don't want to, just stay away from the project untill it's more stable.
No because testing is the same especially if you are using Agile.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
No because testing is the same especially if you are using Agile.
I appreciate your experiences. Out of interest, which Agile methodology were you using mostly? Scrum? XP? Crystal? FDD?

Last edited:

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
My own contact with the game in a while has been these forums and the odd video. I can't even tell you the last time I logged in, and even then it was for like 30 minutes.

3.0 had a bad start but a few weeks of patches meant it was playable.

Don't give up, just as others have said don't treat it as a final game just yet, if it frustrates you play something else for a while and maybe you'll forget about the game and the next time you log in you'll see nice smooth gameplay with all the features you wanted.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
My own contact with the game in a while has been these forums and the odd video. I can't even tell you the last time I logged in, and even then it was for like 30 minutes.

3.0 had a bad start but a few weeks of patches meant it was playable.

Don't give up, just as others have said don't treat it as a final game just yet, if it frustrates you play something else for a while and maybe you'll forget about the game and the next time you log in you'll see nice smooth gameplay with all the features you wanted.
For me, SC right now is you guys on the forums. I think I've played the game for at most 10 hours during the last 5 months.
Sometimes I get burnt out too, and I take a step back from everything SC (that's when I also disappear from the forum for months at a time).

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
For me, SC right now is you guys on the forums. I think I've played the game for at most 10 hours during the last 5 months.
Sometimes I get burnt out too, and I take a step back from everything SC (that's when I also disappear from the forum for months at a time).
Luckily SC doesn't has a playtime counter, otherwise my wife would be very jealous. An hour ago I lost all my 183k aUEC in one cargo run. Yeap, that was a little frustrating. Result: now I must do some mercenary missions to get some starting money and then find a nice stable instance to get a few 110k. already back at 2k.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Luckily SC doesn't has a playtime counter, otherwise my wife would be very jealous. An hour ago I lost all my 183k aUEC in one cargo run. Yeap, that was a little frustrating. Result: now I must do some mercenary missions to get some starting money and then find a nice stable instance to get a few 110k. already back at 2k.
Trade Titanium, move to Beryl, then go for gold/diamonds and finally medical and laranite.

Forgot your password?