i5-6600k or older i7-4790K?

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I build systems regularly for people (Personally and for work) and recently picked up a 4790k for myself. As someone said earlier, if you have a microcenter anywhere near you, pick it up there, they sell CPUs at a good discount. That being said, the 4790k I have runs the game pretty damn smooth without overclocking. My bottleneck is currently the geforce 760 I'm running, but my complaints are minimal right now as that will be upgraded when the game comes out. There was a critical thing in regards to star citizen that was mentioned in the video, that crisis 3 stuttered less on the i7 compared to the other, and star citizen runs the same engine. Food for thought there.

If you get the i7 4790k, i highly recommend the ASUS hero 7 for a mobo. Ive built 4 systems with this combo so far and they work wonderfully. There is one thing you must be aware of with the devil's canyon line though, they run fairly hot. The chip can take it just fine, so no worries there, just make sure you have good cooling. I'm using a "NIC C4" cooler for it which is fairly big but works wonders if you dont want to go liquid. For the love of god dont use the stock cooler that comes with it. You would be better off just pissing onto the thing to cool it down.

While im on the subject, I do recommend a dedicated SSD for star citizen if you dont already have one. Its an upgrade that I, my gf, and my sister are all going to get once we can for the game. (need to get them into test soon too XD)

Extra for anyone else: This has been coming up alot recently so ill just mention it here. If you have a PSU with monitoring software, do not run the monitoring software in games. you will suffer a 20+ FPS loss. Results may vary with brand.

I'm at work so I can go into more detail if you would like later on.
All I got out of this was to pee on my computer. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
4790k ordered, its over my budget for the CPU, but instead of the Samsung SSD, Ill just get the Crucial 500gb instead, which puts me back within budget for the build.
Crucial do good products

Forgot your password?