Joystick advice...

Graf_Orlock

Space Marshal
Apr 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Graf_Orlock
I don't know if anyone else has them, but I looked at the Monstertech mounts for a long time until I heard about Foxxmount. I have the set for the warthog hotas and they have been awesome to use on my desk, plus the cost for a pair was only a little more than the price of one of the MT mounts. It looks like Fox is still working on setting up his online store though so if you need them right away, MT may be the place to go. I think if I had a nicer gaming chair I would have pulled the trigger on the MT chair mounts.

Reactions: Ayeteeone

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I looked at the T16000, and decided on the VKB Gladiator NXT Premium, with the prices they way they are now it was only a bit more expensive and it seems you get a lot more stick for the money.
i strongly recommend watching this quick start guide when it arrives:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9-nfl5hL3s

Two processes which can go wrong is damaging the cable because you haven't used the "cable holder tool".
The second is the grip needs to be pressed inside the base quite firmly. So if the grip isn't tight you probably haven't pushed hard enough.
The stick arrives with all the tools you need.

The programming software can be confusing but is absolutely worth it. The VKB forum is full of advice.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
weird,. the VKB gladiators I bought have a totally different base, moar buttons!
Left stick has the kosmosima grip

View attachment 19267
Thats the gladiator K ... discontinued.

yeah the NXT is slightly cheaper. It has a different build and a modified grip. I like the better positioned throttle and rotary encoders. But you loose a bunch of buttons. (imo the grip already has more than enough)
I guess the idea is if you want a better throttle or more buttons will buy the additional modules (release soon™) for ~$50 to your own liking:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Ok.. I am appealing to the Wisdom of Test Squadron - Ya I know.. first mistake

I am considering joining the elite analog input crew! However, never having used a joy stick (ha ha..) and being a long time KBM MMO goddess! I don't know if I want to invest heavily in this, but having done a little re-search it seems no such thing as cheap in this world.

So... what I want/need
Decent quality hopefully without being mega expensive - Love seeing those super fancy Virpel (or whatever) set ups or whatever but that's a commitment!
Also need a decent cheap desk mount as my desktop is barley big enough for my keyboard and mouse. Also looking more HOTAS then HOSAS... seems more natural to me but feel free to change my mind, keeping in mind I am not really a dogfighter person (why would you fight dogs? they are so cute and loyal?)
I like my Logitech X56. Solid with plenty of analog controls.

Right now, though everyone is out of everything and prices are stupid.

The X56 shouldn't cost you more than $250 plus tax and shipping, new. If you can find someone selling them it is generally well above $300 used.
The X52 and the Thrustmaster set should run around $150. (Thrustmaster prices vary, you can normally find the T1600M plus Throttle or a second of them in the $130-$150 range.

One that you might consider, which is available now at normal retail, is the VKB NXT series, especially if you want to go HOSAS. They are adding a throttle to the line as well. (I am looking at switching to them. :) )

As for mounts. I have a pair of These on Amazon. and they work well.

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
Well I got my VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left (that's a mouthful) delivered this morning. Been using it for a few hours now, and I can say I am getting used to it, I wouldn't want to get into a fight yet but I can get to where I am going.

Now just to figure out what in the heck to do with all the buttons!

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
Well I got my VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left (that's a mouthful) delivered this morning. Been using it for a few hours now, and I can say I am getting used to it, I wouldn't want to get into a fight yet but I can get to where I am going.

Now just to figure out what in the heck to do with all the buttons!
The button mapping evolves.. as you need a funtion you can decide where would be handy to map it to...
I also recommend Voice Attack for functions that you can not find convenient buttons for (this is more prevalent with T16000s).

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
The button mapping evolves.. as you need a funtion you can decide where would be handy to map it to...
I also recommend Voice Attack for functions that you can not find convenient buttons for (this is more prevalent with T16000s).

I have Voice Attack, but I don't use it anymore always felt weird talking to my computer. But I do use a 15 button stream deck that I have lots of SC functions mapped to as well.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well, seems like I'M joining the NXT club as well!
After 20 minutes of refreshing the EU page of VKB I finally managed to grab a Premium right model!
I got the email that it was in stock and not 5 minutes later, when I checked the page, it was already down! I'm guessing it's the fact that they had a Black Friday sale going on as well, joy was 166.50 instead of the usual 200.
I hope it's as good as you all say it is, cos damn it's expensive for a toy lol :D

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
Mine is amazing, I had to put in the looser springs (that come with the premium stick) as the ones that come stock where a bit too firm I think or maybe just my weak little hands lol

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Having the buttons on the bottom of the stick can be a pain, esp. if you have to take your hands off the stick. One of the great things about the Virpil Constellation Alphas is that all the buttons are right at your finger-tips...you don't have to drop your hands off the stick. A problem is that the sticks are a little fat, I find I have to adjust my grip to reach some of the buttons.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Sooo, I just got my NXT Premium right hand joyous stick!

First impressions are:
- very nice quality glass fiber reinforced nylon plastic (guessing here, it could be corrugated cardboard for all I know) on the grip. Gives it a professional tool feel, without the stupid rubbery bits. very good!
- fit and finish is damn good, except for the bottom plate which has some brown stuff in two screw holes instead of paint. I'm guessing base coat, missing the black top coat. Hopefully not rust... Also the stamping is a bit off, one of the "brown" screw holes has a ridge around it and the countersunk is off center. For this price, I expect better QC on such cheap and simple part
- I had to file flat the end of the screwdriver they provided cos it was cut at a 45 degree angle lol . This I can live with, even at this price, at least they gave me the necessary tool for assembly
- buttons are random, some feel nice and crisp, some feel like they need to be worn in, a bit rough to actuate
- the dual stage trigger takes waaaay too much force to get stage2 firing, but I'll get used to it, and it will probably break in after some use. It's so hard to move, at first I didn't even notice there was a stage 2 lol
- moving the stick is Tight! Feels like quality, or too much greese. I know they use some special dampening grease so it's okay
- the default spring centers the stick well, but I will probably change to one step lighter
- ergonomics are really nice, one can get a really tight grip on it. Only downside to such an aggressive shape is that it forces one kind of grip that might not be too comfortable in a long session, especially with the hard springs (yeah I have weak gamer hands)
- I just realized that it's not my brand new desk that is bent, it's the base plate. It is rocking just a hair. Won't matter, will be mounted to my chair soonTM
- the dials on the base are rubbish imo. One is slightly clicky, the other rolls smooth but feels like both are packed with 5 tons of grease. Each acts as 2 separate buttons, one for the roll up, one for down.
- the "throttle" in the middle is okay I guess, haven't had any use for it yet, but I'll want to set it as my speed limiter in SC (questionmark?)

Assembly went fine, I did read the quickstart and did the initial configuration, all seems to work, Except:
- the supposedly analog mini stick. It acts like a hat switch instead of being an analog stick. Is this normal, is it broken, or do I need to set somthing up in one of the software I downloaded from their website? I want to use that for fine control of strafe up down L R if possible?
- Also, is it possible to set the rollers on the base to act like sliders/axis? Or are they just overdesigned switches? I won't be using them much anyways, just curious.
- Does the top Leds on the stick do something? Currently it's just the larger one glowing light blue (supposedly a Kosmosima grip, according to the box it came in)
- As a last request, I know this must have been posted many times but I'm too lazy to search around, but do you guys have a profile, or link to a collection of profles, for use with SC? (R hand on stick, L hand on KB)

full disclosure: I'll probably have a bunch more questions later lol

Reactions: wmk and Michael

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
For mappings. I would just do it yourself. Take someone else's mapping diagram and just map the keys you want, how you want.
THIS!
As you make mappings that you need, you tend to remember where you put the function!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
THIS!
As you make mappings that you need, you tend to remember where you put the function!
Yeah well, I was looking for a head start... Anyways, I'm slowly figuring out what's what. I fixed the mini stick not working, somehow...
I knew I had to push in to make it switch modes, but it didn't wanted to. I ran aaaaall the software they throw at you on teh website, and after wiggling and clickin it multiple times while testing, it seems to work fine. Already mapped it to analog strafe. Bit rough but does the job well enough.
I'm way over my head into remapping buttons, already forgot what I mapped and I only did half of em. I'm used to having like 10 at max lol
After some use, both wheels seem to work the same way, slight clicking when rotated. Probably loosened up some grease. Currently set for Cruise control limiter whatever it's called, will have to change that cos it's too slow to react at the ends. Otherwise it would be really good.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Sooo, I just got my NXT Premium right hand joyous stick!

Assembly went fine, I did read the quickstart and did the initial configuration, all seems to work, Except:
- the supposedly analog mini stick. It acts like a hat switch instead of being an analog stick. Is this normal, is it broken, or do I need to set somthing up in one of the software I downloaded from their website? I want to use that for fine control of strafe up down L R if possible?
- Also, is it possible to set the rollers on the base to act like sliders/axis? Or are they just overdesigned switches? I won't be using them much anyways, just curious.
- Does the top Leds on the stick do something? Currently it's just the larger one glowing light blue (supposedly a Kosmosima grip, according to the box it came in)
- As a last request, I know this must have been posted many times but I'm too lazy to search around, but do you guys have a profile, or link to a collection of profles, for use with SC? (R hand on stick, L hand on KB)
First of all i'm glad you like it.

1. its a dual function (if not deactivated through the software)
push the button down and it should switch to the analogue mode. so you actually can use the stick both ways as a hat and two axis.
(there is another small Led which should light up)

the provided software needs some time to understand but you can do pretty awesome stuff. You can also change which one of those modes should be automatic "on". I think its called "u stick mode" or "ussw mode" in the software.

2. The rollers act like single button presses. So you can't make them fully analogue but you should be able to use them as relative mode for that scenario.
I think one use case for those buttons is trimming your plane in flight sims.
For Star citizen maybe as more granular change of speed limiter and throttle limiter.

3. With the Software you can change how and when the LED lights up.
You can also set a switch mode (to any button) which doubles your buttons AND make the Led flicker red or stuff like that when this mode is activated. So the answer is whatever you want :P.

4. not for that scenario. (but this is my Gladiator K setting with switch mode on pinky trigger (hold) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xBm0EbOP2vfoUKQEX36N0MDodYvAc6kTMVSNjOYduBE/edit?usp=sharing )
I'm not updating this as i'm transitioning to dual kosmosima

i found out how to make look around work in the software with Star citizen

Here is how to add a switch mode button
solution on how to use look around in Star citizen (by pressing "Z" when ussw is activated)

@everyone if you need further advice feel free to pm me here on discord or guilded.

Last edited:

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
I have the gladiator-k left and the normal gladiator right. When I use the little analogue stick on the glad-K at the same time as the Y axis on the right stick it stops moving.
Any idea? My awesome solution is not using it but it seems a waste

Forgot your password?