• Boo'd

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
So I just decided to throw some meat into slow cooker. Not following any recipe or anything, just randomly selected 500g of pork, 2 onions (sliced 3mm), 2 dl citrus juice, some meat stock, cowered in water. I set the timer to 6h on high, I plan to shred the meat at that point, then let it cook for half an hour more. Then get rid of the water and maybe eat the pork and the onions with like nachos or something.

Again, not following ANY recipe. Just felt like that might result in food. So, guesses:
Will it be good?
Will it be food?
Will it get boo'd?

Rodo1jub

Captain
Dec 8, 2021
RSI Handle
Rodoljub
To many variables. What is "set timer on high"? It will all cook in water? Or will meat and other stuff we in sealed in bag which is in water? " sous vide" cooking?
After 6h meat wont shred easily.
To much lemon juice for my taste.

Everything is semi good if you put nacho on.
I will give you boo, until proven otherwise with pictures

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
While it has potential to be good food, that wasn't an option & the temp setting for the cooking wasn't stated to let us know if the food would be over cooked or not. This being said, I saw no mention of any cheese & nachos are always best with some sort of cheese in my opinion. So I selected food.

Reactions: FZD

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
To many variables. What is "set timer on high"?
Setting the timer to 6h on high, means it cooks for 6 hours, on high. Slow cookers typically just come with 2-3 settings: Low (90ish degrees Celsius), High (150ish degrees) and possibly Keep Warm setting to which it switches to after the timer runs out.

It will all cook in water? Or will meat and other stuff we in sealed in bag which is in water? " sous vide" cooking?
I don't think you can accidentally do sous vide, what with all the extra effort and equipment required.
So no, just slow cooking, not sous vide.

After 6h meat wont shred easily.
To much lemon juice for my taste.

Everything is semi good if you put nacho on.
I will give you boo, until proven otherwise with pictures
Well, we'll see :)

While it has potential to be good food, that wasn't an option & the temp setting for the cooking wasn't stated to let us know if the food would be over cooked or not. This being said, I saw no mention of any cheese & nachos are always best with some sort of cheese in my opinion. So I selected food.
Well, I did say I put it on high... And I don't think you can really overcook with a slow cooker?
Anyhow, I did get my favorite cheddar goop to go with the nachos (as well as some salsa) so we're certainly likeminded on that issue.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Well, I did say I put it on high... And I don't think you can really overcook with a slow cooker?
Anyhow, I did get my favorite cheddar goop to go with the nachos (as well as some salsa) so we're certainly likeminded on that issue.
When I see a HIGH setting on a cooking device, I always look into the actual temp that represents, as sometimes that might be used for giving a sere to something before then switching to a low - medium setting for low slow cooking.

I've had family overcook different kinds of meat in slow cookers by having on too high of a setting for the amount of time they planned on cooking it for. That person taught my sister how to cook & she managed to set water in a pot on fire. So when it comes to questioning if something can go wrong, I'll play it safe because Murphy's Laws kick in frequently when they're least expected to. LoL

Personally, I hope that your dish turns out so delightful, that you get annoyed that it'll take another 6 hours to enjoy more after it's gone. However, there's always an after feast nap that might help kill some of that time. Cheers!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Depends upon the meet. Cooking in water can make tough cuts more tender--like pot roast, but it also dries out the meat. Very counter-intuitive but think about how dry pot roast tastes. It's because the water carries all the fats off.

So basically cooking meat in water is for bad, tough cuts of meat. They'll be more tender but less flavorful. pulling it and mixing it with some sauce for flavor will improve it.

• Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Well, turned out pretty well. Presentation's a bit so-so but tasted just like I imagined it would.
Only thing is, I ate too much 😋
IMG_20211215_154746.jpg

Rodo1jub

Captain
Dec 8, 2021
RSI Handle
Rodoljub
Hmmm....maybe i wil bump my score to food.

Some suggestions:
Drop nachos for bread or buns
Make some cole slaw salad, because it is doing misacles with "pulled pork".
Drop nachos cheese for some good bbq sauce.

Then you will be good goood goooood 😍😍

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
LOL, you duplicated at least part of my wife's recipe for nacho's with pulled pork. She sometimes makes the salsa too.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Hmmm....maybe i wil bump my score to food.

Some suggestions:
Drop nachos for bread or buns
Make some cole slaw salad, because it is doing misacles with "pulled pork".
Drop nachos cheese for some good bbq sauce.

Then you will be good goood goooood 😍😍
These are all excellent suggestions, I was actually thinking of trying it with bread as well. (I got like, a bunch still left).
Especially the idea of coleslaw and BBQ sauce sound particularly good. Oh what the heck, I'll go to store pick some up right now!

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
IMG_20211216_110150.jpg

Yeah, this one was simply delicious. I put the bread (just the bottom) with the meat in an airfryer (200C 6min) to heat it up, didn't want fridge temp food. This worked out pretty pretty great, but I should've put like 180C or even 160C and then keep it for couple minutes longer longer, some of the fringes got a bit burnt (not seen in the photo). Or maybe I should've put the top bread in as well, on top of the meat to shield it. I mean, warming up the oven would probably be the best solution, but I'm too impatient for that. Oh, the temp was just perfect for the bread though, it became nice and crispy.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
View attachment 22134

Yeah, this one was simply delicious. I put the bread (just the bottom) with the meat in an airfryer (200C 6min) to heat it up, didn't want fridge temp food. This worked out pretty pretty great, but I should've put like 180C or even 160C and then keep it for couple minutes longer longer, some of the fringes got a bit burnt (not seen in the photo). Or maybe I should've put the top bread in as well, on top of the meat to shield it. I mean, warming up the oven would probably be the best solution, but I'm too impatient for that. Oh, the temp was just perfect for the bread though, it became nice and crispy.
I found that using the built in grill in my oven worked best for tasks like this. It's just radiated heat, so stuff don't get that dry and burnt, and doesn't get soggy either like in microwaves. It is by far the best way to heat up cold pizza. It can be faster even than just using the regular oven function depending on your model.

Rodo1jub

Captain
Dec 8, 2021
RSI Handle
Rodoljub
View attachment 22134

Now we are at good good goood food! Congatz!!

Forgot your password?