Long Duration Exploration. . .

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .All to the glory of TEST.

I was looking at the Odyssey today and thought “man, that is a big ship!” Well it is and it got me thinking about just how large the hanger is. It looks to be about 40m long and almost as wide.

Normally, we think about ship hangers as to what they can carry, but in the instance of an explorer, I wonder it it can be put to better use. Suppose instead of carrying ships, it just serviced and refueled them.

It appears if the Odyssey devotes a significant portion of its time to refining, it might support an entire wing of smaller exploration craft. You’d want them to have beds so their players could join the fun at their leisure, so the Sen is probably not your best choice. However, you might fly an almost arbitrary high number of 300 series off that one hanger, including 315s to explore and salvage and 325s to defend. You could also refuel larger ships to carry vehicles into theater.

This seems like a simple way to field very flexible exploration groups all over the verse. Consider them task forces that players could fly out to and join as they choose.

Makes exploration really exciting to me. Complicated by many ships, but simple in theory to manage.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
The Odyssey hangar is indeed quite large. The Q&A page for it states that stuff like the 300 series would fit (27m long) but that the Cutlass Black would be too large (29m long). So the hangar is probably around 30m long but too narrow or shallow for Cutlass.

The caveat about refueling other ships is also that, the refinery feeds directly into Odysseys own fuel tanks, and it's a bit unclear whether or not you can refuel landed ships from there, or if you have to store some fuel in the cargo bay for refueling ships in the hangar.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
The big questions that remain for me re: the Odyssey hangar are: Will it fit a Vanguard and is it larger or smaller than the Polaris hangar?
Vanguard is 38 meters long and just as wide as a Cutlass. It unfortunately won't fit as per the Q&A page.

Forgot your password?