Loreville disappointment

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Wow, I am totally underwhelmed by Loreville.
We are told how big and massive and all the work put into Loreville and yet it is none of that.
What do we have?
The least efficient public transit system ever designed.
6-8 identical floors of hab blocks in the same building leading to the same lobby that have no real purpose other than as a spawn point.
6-8 identical city "gates" that only serve as a spawn point for ground vehicles.
A dozen, maybe, identical "Train stations."
A "massive" four kilometer tower that has 8 rooms in it to include a variation on the train station.
8 identical landing bays.
2 slightly larger landing bays, made of the same pieces and parts.
A Ship dealer that only sells 8 ships.
A space port waiting area that does not have a capacity for a small town regional airport. Killeen, Texas has a much larger terminal waiting area.
A single clothing shop.
A non-functional bar.
A "Customs Area" that not only is non-functional, it only serves to add unnecessarily convoluted walking paths.

Even if you include the cloned rooms we are dealing with what? 50 rooms for a "Massive city?"

Reactions: Deroth and Phil

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Sorry but you're plain wrong. SC is an amazing game in 3.4 and it is only gonna get better over the next 2 years!

I mean if you hate it that much why don't you go play all the other games that have suzzessfully recreated planetary size maps and cities 1:1 with film like graphical quality. OH hang on your right there aren't any other games like that are there??

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
LoL seriously... "Get the info needed to have a opinion or the words you speak don't mean nothing."

You do understand this is not a finished game... and it getting added more as game development progress..
and a lot are just being tested to se that it works and might not even end up being where it is now... etc.. etc...

You apparently do not have the concept understanding of what a Alpha version of a game is and what it mean.

CHEERS!

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Sorry but you're plain wrong. SC is an amazing game in 3.4 and it is only gonna get better over the next 2 years!

I mean if you hate it that much why don't you go play all the other games that have suzzessfully recreated planetary size maps and cities 1:1 with film like graphical quality. OH hang on your right there aren't any other games like that are there??
The promise of the future is not displayed by the present.

The concept of the game is brilliant. The execution, so far, is a bit less than stellar.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

How am I wrong? You could fit all of Loreville, that you can explore, on Port Ollisar.

If you actually could visit the entire city, sure. You can't. Not even a fraction of it.

Hate it, no. Believe it is not living up to potential, absolutely.

As for other games like it, so far it is not up to the standard of games released 5+ years ago.

But hey, let's get real.
Loreville is nothing more than a poor level design loosely corresponding to a bunch of greebles strewn about.

As for being something new? Not really. Star Wars, The Old Republic, does more than what Star Citizen is currently capable of, and that was released in 2011.

Is TOR what Star Citizen is supposed to be? No, not at all. Is it what Star Citizen is now? It is better.

I spent 9 years, in QA, most of them running it, for a CG company. I have designed in both Unity and Unreal, for fun, though a little for work. The "it has never been done" is simply not true.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
LoL seriously... "Get the info needed to have a opinion or the words you speak don't mean nothing."

You do understand this is not a finished game... and it getting added more as game development progress..
and a lot are just being tested to se that it works and might note even end up being where it is now... etc.. etc...

You apparently do not have the concept understanding of what a Alpha version of a game is and what it mean.

CHEERS!
I know exactly what Alpha is. That does not make Loreville up to the standards of anything I would let anyone see.

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
Wow, I am totally underwhelmed by Loreville.
We are told how big and massive and all the work put into Loreville and yet it is none of that.
What do we have?
The least efficient public transit system ever designed.
6-8 identical floors of hab blocks in the same building leading to the same lobby that have no real purpose other than as a spawn point.
6-8 identical city "gates" that only serve as a spawn point for ground vehicles.
A dozen, maybe, identical "Train stations."
A "massive" four kilometer tower that has 8 rooms in it to include a variation on the train station.
8 identical landing bays.
2 slightly larger landing bays, made of the same pieces and parts.
A Ship dealer that only sells 8 ships.
A space port waiting area that does not have a capacity for a small town regional airport. Killeen, Texas has a much larger terminal waiting area.
A single clothing shop.
A non-functional bar.
A "Customs Area" that not only is non-functional, it only serves to add unnecessarily convoluted walking paths.

Even if you include the cloned rooms we are dealing with what? 50 rooms for a "Massive city?"
So what is your solution? CIG is hiring.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yes, so?
It is less than 20 rooms and a bunch of greebles. Big deal.
Any half competent game level designer could knock it out in half a day.
I assume you have the day off tomorrow and from your assessment you are a half competent game designer, so please knock up 20 rooms for me. And the city to put them in. And the planet to put them on. And a solar system to put the planet in. And a ship to get to the city in.. And all the ships systems and weapons and shields and it's flight model. And the space-station to get the ship from. And work on a whole other game due in 2020 while doing that.

I stand by my previous comment: Alpha, yo. They have barely finished building the planet the city stands on - more will be along later, when they have finished making most everything else 🙂

But I understand you are frustrated, so let me take a step back from my stance and lets look at this from another perspective, because thinking about it I might be on to something with the following:

Think less of Loreville being a classical "City" and more like a supermassive base built for and by the Hurston corporation. They likely built it all at the same time as soon as they bought the planet, to exacting requirements with pre-knowledge of now many staff they'll have stationed there and what their needs will be. What do corporations do? They spend a little and maximize return on their investments. Prefabs. Cheap reusable designs. Mass production. Lorville is built on the back of a corporation, not a culture - it's designs are the results of that ethos and added to that in a short time, not what was popular with architectural styles over the course of centuries as with most terrestrial Earth cities.

Check out these cities built so fast no one has yet had time to move in yet, do you notice how so much of them look very similar?:

https://gizmodo.com/chinas-building-cities-so-fast-people-dont-have-time-1446570856

Last edited:

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Any half competent game level designer could knock it out in half a day.
Ah, I see the source of your frustration.

Actually it's not the game, it's your completely unrealistic and inaccurate assessment of the effort required to build what you're complaining about.

Anyone who says it can be done in a day has zero idea what they're talking about.

That being said, it's true that there is not currently a huge amount of variation in the interior functional spaces in Loreville. However, it's pre-alpha, and the spaces are indeed functional.

Furthermore the exterior of the city is beautiful and they have a huge amount of space and potential to expand it as they develop the game.

Thus mission accomplished IMO.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I did expect a bit more from Loreville, so I suppose that I am also disappointed. However I expect them to improve it, maybe I was too optimistic.
I will be interested to see if ArcCorp has similar limitations, and if developing both at the same time will be a help or a hindrance.

The list of points Bong makes are valid, it just depends on what context you take them in.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Ah, I see the source of your frustration.

Actually it's not the game, it's your completely unrealistic and inaccurate assessment of the effort required to build what you're complaining about.

Anyone who says it can be done in a day has zero idea what they're talking about.

That being said, it's true that there is not currently a huge amount of variation in the interior functional spaces in Loreville. However, it's pre-alpha, and the spaces are indeed functional.

Furthermore the exterior of the city is beautiful and they have a huge amount of space and potential to expand it as they develop the game.

Thus mission accomplished IMO.
Except I know people that build more complex things, without a game framework, and without a team in less than a month.

What they have is a half day's work by any half competent level designer.

The exterior if the city is irrelevant. I can achieve the same results with a render. In fact I have.

Forgot your password?