Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm the scale are defenetly off, at least for the immage themself.
Here an immage of a real M1 with a person standing neraby:
1618514589259.png

while big the tracks are not taller then a person as the immage suggest... so a bit misleading as a comparison immage.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
M1 is a little shorter than the M1A1 and M1A2, but the biggest problem is the images in the comparison are not quite to scale. It makes the M1A1 look quite a bit higher than it really is - more than half the height of the Nova - but the reported heights in the image are accurate.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Hmm the scale are defenetly off, at least for the immage themself.
Here an immage of a real M1 with a person standing neraby:
View attachment 20616

while big the tracks are not taller then a person as the immage suggest... so a bit misleading as a comparison immage.
Maybe the man on the bike was a midget.

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
Not to upset any Tonk lovers or anything, but just wondering if they've given any lore/info on why they went with tank treads instead of some sort of hover or even limited flight option.

Actually...why even have a traditional tank when an armored ship around the same size could perform better and also not be limited to the ground? Am I missing something here?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not to upset any Tonk lovers or anything, but just wondering if they've given any lore/info on why they went with tank treads instead of some sort of hover or even limited flight option.

Actually...why even have a traditional tank when an armored ship around the same size could perform better and also not be limited to the ground? Am I missing something here?
Factor of cool?

As far as I am aware there is no lore reason why tonks exist or their justification. We do know that CIG intends to limit the ability of lots of ships to hover infinitely besides those with VTOL capability as well as enable those with aerodynamic characteristic to excel on planets/moons that have any sort of atmosphere. But I think they saw that ground vehicles had lots of demand more so then the hover bikes and I have to agree to an extent there is something endearing to being connected to the ground of these planets that really gives one the since of scope that CIG has achieved so far. After all while I have a NOX there was something compelling about the Range that left my wallet whimpering once again.

While I do not own a Valkyrie, I cannot wait for the day when I can ride in one flown by a fellow test pilot and be dropped off at the front line in a battle over a outpost or mineral deposit. To feel the excitement when our Tonks roll up to help support us or dive for cover when the enemies show up.

So yes air support will be more effective then Tonks in their rapid deployment and larger guns in theory. But we have also had reports from Sean Tracy how deadly ground vehicles like the Ballista and Cyclone-AA are to pilots. Which makes since as games like Battlefield show just how effective Tanks are at being a force multiplier and how effective AA can be at keeping the airborne assets grounded. Of course if you don't keep the helicopter out of the fight it can quickly decimate your tank force.

I look forward to playing theaters of war and seeing how effective combined arms are in the ground game and I hope CIG pushes missions that require coordinated effort from securing the heavens before bringing in the marines to secure an LZ to the final the final battle in a ruin city or underground cavern/bunker.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I suppose for durability purpose... anti-grav tecnology doesn't seams that common in SC universe, yes its present, but it's still hight end stuff, that came form alien races or hight expense research (in case of Drake may be someELSE expensive reseach i suppose...)
Also we can assume that changing a blasted track is far far more easy then repair an anti-grav projector while in the field...

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
For the same reason actual army forces still use thanks and grunt on the ground even if they have jetfighter, high altitude bombers and long range high precision missiles.
While air support is a good solution to open the way, territorial control need to be done on the ground... and since theyr introductions tanks are the best fighting vehicles when it came to firepower and durability for ground forces.... of course this assuming you whouldn't like to blast the whole territory to burnt ashes... but you don't need to "nuke it from the orbit" every single time.

Forgot your password?