Melting the Odyssey! A couple of questions for my well educated TESTies

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Passenger transport. You need a starter transport, so probably the Phoenix or better, the 600i(t). For exploration, you can keep the Odyssey, or drop down to a carrack or..600i(e). You can even go down to the Aquila.

some but not tons of combat…combat as what? Fighter, bomber, interceptor? If you want a fighter that is tanky, the Vanguard is you ship. If you want quick and maneuverable, then the Arrow or Cutlass. Ideally, get a ship that can carry your smaller ships from place to place (this could replace your Phoenix/600i(t)

medical can be played from any ship with a med bay, so pick that up as you want.

Reactions: Richard Bong

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Awesome input! Thank you very much for your time! You said my current fleet could move something like a Hornet. Is that based on the assumption of the Merchantman being able to move vessels like the defender? I know the odyssey has a hangar but if it gets the axe, that’s that. I’ve gone back and forth on the hornet a lot to be completely honest. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the lack of a bed. That said, if used like you mentioned, that wouldn’t matter in the least.
All ships with hangars, not yet in game, have "standard" size hangars. The Odyssey and the Merchantman can move any size 2 or smaller ship in their hangar. Since the Endeavor can move two Cutlasses in its hangar it should have pads that can move at least two carrier fighters. So, yes, you have that covered.

You can also fly the Hornet, Gladius, Arrow or other carrier craft off a Guildies Polaris, Idris, Kraken, or Liberator for larger guild operations.

I specifically mentioned the Gladius, Arrow and F7c Hornet because they all cost less than your available store credit, fly well and offer lots of bang for your buck. The Arrow requires lots of stick time to fly well, where the Gladius and Hornet are more forgiving. It depends on your priorities. Note that the Gladius, currently, has an advantage in that you can carry some gear with you. (Not much, but some.) As more ships hit "gold standard" that advantage goes away.

Reactions: TheDubya

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Passenger transport. You need a starter transport, so probably the Phoenix or better, the 600i(t). For exploration, you can keep the Odyssey, or drop down to a carrack or..600i(e). You can even go down to the Aquila.

some but not tons of combat…combat as what? Fighter, bomber, interceptor? If you want a fighter that is tanky, the Vanguard is you ship. If you want quick and maneuverable, then the Arrow or Cutlass. Ideally, get a ship that can carry your smaller ships from place to place (this could replace your Phoenix/600i(t)

medical can be played from any ship with a med bay, so pick that up as you want.
The 600i is modular, we should be able to, eventually, pick up the Exploration module for the Touring version and vice versa.
The Constellation is also supposed to have some modular capability, what that actually will look like is anyone's guess. In that case the Phoenix might make a reasonable explorer.
For lower level Passenger plus cargo, the Phoenix. For low level passenger plus exploration, the 600i. :)

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The 600i is modular, we should be able to, eventually, pick up the Exploration module for the Touring version and vice versa.
The Constellation is also supposed to have some modular capability, what that actually will look like is anyone's guess. In that case the Phoenix might make a reasonable explorer.
For lower level Passenger plus cargo, the Phoenix. For low level passenger plus exploration, the 600i. :)
While true it was initially planned, at this point in time, I would not put any faith or currency in this becoming realized for these ships. The only ships that I would comfortably say at the moment would have their modularity is the Caterpillar, Retaliator, and Carrack. The rest are more like variants and seem to be leaning towards fully ship packages and not allowing for the same level of customization.

Reactions: TheDubya and Shiwaz

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Well educated??? I think you accidentally came on to the wrong org forum mate.....

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
so probably the Phoenix or better, the 600i(t).
I'll bump this as both Phoenix and 600er are really great all-rounder ships that support pretty much ALL of the currently available gameplay. Fly around, fight, haul, carry a ROC to mine, etc. Especially if passenger transport is a key goal, I'd consider either of these a core ship for your fleet! (Personally I'm partial to the Phoenix because of the snub, but have nothing bad to say against the 600 either!)

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'll bump this as both Phoenix and 600er are really great all-rounder ships that support pretty much ALL of the currently available gameplay. Fly around, fight, haul, carry a ROC to mine, etc. Especially if passenger transport is a key goal, I'd consider either of these a core ship for your fleet! (Personally I'm partial to the Phoenix because of the snub, but have nothing bad to say against the 600 either!)

Don't get me wrong I love my 600 but it's a big fat ship.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
While true it was initially planned, at this point in time, I would not put any faith or currency in this becoming realized for these ships. The only ships that I would comfortably say at the moment would have their modularity is the Caterpillar, Retaliator, and Carrack. The rest are more like variants and seem to be leaning towards fully ship packages and not allowing for the same level of customization.
When talking about the 600i rework they mentioned moving the module segment. I doubt the Connie will have actual modules, on the otherhand.

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
Yeah, part of my core fleet is definitely the Starliner and the Corsair. I only worry that having a Connie will overlap with the Corsair too much.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I only worry that having a Connie will overlap with the Corsair too much.
Connie Aquila maybe, but probably not so much for any of the other variants. The pre-attached snub sorta sets the Connies apart IMO. Throw the MSR in the mix though and things start to get a little more complicated; I'd almost venture the guess that it shares more similarities with the Corsair than the Connies. . .

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
Connie Aquila maybe, but probably not so much for any of the other variants. The pre-attached snub sorta sets the Connies apart IMO. Throw the MSR in the mix though and things start to get a little more complicated; I'd almost venture the guess that it shares more similarities with the Corsair than the Connies. . .
So, in your mind, does the Connie, MSR and Corsair work well together, or do a pair cancel each other out? MSR is a data/hauler to my knowledge and I doubt the Corsair will hang with it in speed or data.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So, in your mind, does the Connie, MSR and Corsair work well together, or do a pair cancel each other out? MSR is a data/hauler to my knowledge and I doubt the Corsair will hang with it in speed or data.
Lots of overlaps but at the same time they also still have their nitch as far as publicly available design docs go.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Lots of overlaps but at the same time they also still have their nitch as far as publicly available design docs go.
In my mind the Corsair is only superior to the Connie in pilot firepower.
Since these three aren't really combat craft...

The MSR is superior in cargo hauling, and, highly likely, speed and agility.

The Connie, depending on which version you pick, and what advertised modularity ends up meaning, should be more versatile, a better multi-player experience and more defensible as you run.

The only reason, I can see, to choose the Corsair is aesthetics.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
In my mind the Corsair is only superior to the Connie in pilot firepower.
Since these three aren't really combat craft...

The MSR is superior in cargo hauling, and, highly likely, speed and agility.

The Connie, depending on which version you pick, and what advertised modularity ends up meaning, should be more versatile, a better multi-player experience and more defensible as you run.

The only reason, I can see, to choose the Corsair is aesthetics.
That and it has a huge rack of missiles.

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
For Connie I'd likely get the Phoenix at IAE (was there last year anyhow) so that could serve as a multirole VIP mission boat. Only thing about doing that is it eats deeper into the credits, so that would restrict other ships. Could grab it and the MSR though, both would be more useful to me compared to the Odyssey. I did read in the discord some folks saying we may get new boats at IAE too, that's worth keeping in mind too I imagine.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
That and it has a huge rack of missiles.
It does have more firepower. For a vessel that is supposed to be an explorer/cargo hauler, that, IMHO, is a misplaced priority. For piracy, in support of fighters, when it is time to haul away the loot, sure.

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
It does have more firepower. For a vessel that is supposed to be an explorer/cargo hauler, that, IMHO, is a misplaced priority. For piracy, in support of fighters, when it is time to haul away the loot, sure.
Yeah. That said, it was originally sold as "Exploration/Combat" and the brochure literally shows the Corsair 'assaulting a station'. I like to think it's going to be a straight rat ship, the devs said there is nothing special about the ships scanners. How does it fill the role of a true explorer?

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yeah. That said, it was originally sold as "Exploration/Combat" and the brochure literally shows the Corsair 'assaulting a station'. I like to think it's going to be a straight rat ship, the devs said there is nothing special about the ships scanners. How does it fill the role of a true explorer?
Don't forget when the Connie first came out it was the second multicrew ship offering (part of the original Kickstarter campaign, the first was a two-person Starfarer tanker, followed by the Constellation, Retaliator, and then Freelancer) for a game that has drastically changed since its conception.

It is easy to forget that these ships were part of the start.

• Add-On Ship: Aurora +$25
  • Add-On Ship: 300i +$55
  • Add-On Ship: Hornet +$110
  • Add-On Ship: Freelancer +$110
  • Add-On Ship: Constellation +$225
  • Addon Ship: Anvil Gladiator Bomber [$150]
  • Addon Ship: ORIGIN M50 Interceptor [$85]
  • Addon Ship: MISC Starfarer Tanker [$175]
  • Addon Ship: Drake Interplanetary Caterpillar ($225)
  • Addon Ship: Retaliator Heavy Bomber [$250]
  • Addon Ship: Vanduul Fighter [$300]
  • Addon Ship: Idris-class Corvette [$1000]

I personally have always been very fond of the Constellation and Retaliator and so it's hard to not be biased towards its capabilities.

Reactions: TheDubya
Forgot your password?