My entries for CIG's "Cave of Horror" screenshot contest

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
If you all didn't know, CIG is holding a screenshot contest for Halloween called "Cave of Horror". The contest started last week and ends 10/29/2019 (11:59 PM Pacific).

Thinking of the judges' sanity, I've been pushing CIG to limit the number of entries one person can submit to these screenshot contests... and they finally did. However, the limit isn't mentioned on the Spectrum post and can only be found by reading the full rules page.

PRIZES
  1. 🥇 1st Place: Standalone Anvil Valkyrie Liberator Edition w/ LTI
  2. 🥈 2nd Place: Standalone Anvil Terrapin w/ LTI
  3. 🥉 3rd Place: Standalone Origin 315p w/ LTI
QUICKIE RULES
  • the screenshot must feature a scary OR scared facial expression or terrifying scene
  • the screenshot must be taken within an in-game cave
  • Each screenshot is considered a single entry, but you are allowed up to THREE entries.
  • Post-processing effects are not allowed. This includes 3rd party add-ons like Reshade/Photoshop and similar others.
  • Only the person posting the screenshot is eligible to win a prize.

Anyway... here are mine thus far (my actual submissions to the post don't have my watermark on them to comply with the rules):

"Minotaur's Domain"

"Ummm... you've got something on your face...."

"BRRAAAAAAIIINNNNNSSS"

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
NOICE! I love the idea of a Minotaur in a cave maze, although I'd wee in pants if I was actually in that situation, lol
Me too. Actually, there was a bug with lighting and shadows that freaked me out yesterday... it looked like a giant spider-thing was crawling across the wall as I ran through the cave.

Those are awesome.

The Minotaur is my new wallpaper/
Thanks man!

These are amazing! As always :)

🍻 🍻 🍻
Thank you @Lorddarthvik

Those are great pics! You have a knack for telling stories with the camera!
Thank you very much!

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Maybe. We (Arts&Crafts) opted out of the Mantis commercial contest for a variety of reasons... first commercial contest we're not participating in. After we made that decision, this screenshot contest popped up... and since these are far less time-consuming, I figured I should enter.
What happened with the Mantis that you/ Arts&Crafts opted to not participate?

I've been pretty meh on that ship, but if anyone could sell me on it with a commercial it'd be you.

Reactions: mr-hasgaha

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
What happened with the Mantis that you/ Arts&Crafts opted to not participate?

I've been pretty meh on that ship, but if anyone could sell me on it with a commercial it'd be you.
Long story short: between time-constraints and existing workloads, we weren't convinced we could deliver the high quality work WE expected of ourselves. It was actually a really tough decision for us to make.

At the start of every commercial contest, the three of us (me, DamnShame, Utho) discuss whether or not we will participate. Sometimes time or workload is an issue, but we usually find ways to work around them because we really do enjoy the challenge of these commercial contests. We actually consider NOT being excited about the product/vehicle to be an additional challenge... the more challenging, generally, the more interested we are.

But for this Mantis commercial, we had a few things we/I couldn't get past.
  1. Generally, these contests have had at least a 14 day turnaround... sometimes a couple days more. But this one was announced on a Friday and due 13 days later on a Thursday. Now, one day might not seem like much, but we use EVERY second available to us. Plus, I already had several other SC projects I was working on in that period in addition to my normal job. I wasn't convinced I could commit the time needed for this commercial.
  2. This commercial was VERY different: CIG wanted us to continue the Mantis commercial THEY started. And their commercial was made like a nature documentary with a British VO. Ideally, we would have continued in that vein but none of us can match that VO AND we're only allowed 3 people per team so we couldn't have brought someone else in to record it. So it would have been jarring to suddenly switch voice actors... in our minds.
  3. We came up with a couple rough script ideas but all of them saw limited use of the product (Mantis) that was supposed to be the focus... because CIG already showed off everything the Mantis could do in their part 1. Utho actually came up with a great idea but again, the Mantis was mostly a cameo. So we shelved it for use in something later.
  4. None of us owned a Mantis. This hasn't stopped us before... we've used store credits or CCU's to get commercial vehicles before... but it's always been something cheaper.
  5. None of us had used the Mantis' QED to rip someone out of QT, so that required more time for testing and research.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
mr-hasgaha you are awesome.

Forgot your password?