New Star Citizen Ship: Drake Cutlass Steel

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
It appears to be a PvP toy aimed, and priced, at the PvP crowd.
Indeed. Unless the drop ship game mechanics allow a pilot to use those seats to spawn NPC rangers/brawlers who then run into battle. Other games have skills that spawn NPC pets. This has existed for years. Imagine if Star Citizen spawned NPC rangers in those seats, who then could follow a player to a nearby target, remaining persistent on some timer. That would create a different type of 'landing zone clearance' gameplay giving ships like this a role. That's the only way I see value in ships like this. Otherwise, is better for each player just to bring their own ship.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I'd like to see Jumptown 2.0 have timers where pirate and security force NPCs alternate getting brought in by a Cutlass Steel (pirates) or Valkyrie (security forces.)
Maybe even throw independent mercenaries periodically being brought in with a Prowler to spice things up even more.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I'd like to see Jumptown 2.0 have timers where pirate and security force NPCs alternate getting brought in by a Cutlass Steel (pirates) or Valkyrie (security forces.)
Maybe even throw independent mercenaries periodically being brought in with a Prowler to spice things up even more.
Oh yeah that would be nice.

So far we haven't really seen the game bring in ships that unload NPC ground forces. Would be far better than to see than the silly 'spawn closet' system we have for bunker missions right now.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Montoya's characterization "glass carrier" seems most appropriate. Given we in game and IRL consider people as "greatest value" cargo, this disrespects the cargo just as ancient Corsairs, Corvettes and Cutters did. Too many people aboard a shittily defended vessel. A true "pirate" vessel. Note the details of the Barbary Wars if you like.

Keep a mind to the Titansuit carriers afforded the Tally. There is detail to come on the Tally and Titansuit.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Holy fuck the community salt about this ship. Added to the crying about the Ion, and it's a lot of negativity bring spouted.
1. You don't like the Steel, don't buy it.
2. The Ion will be balanced and balanced again. It's alpha.

Anyways, I'm going back to drinking beer and TESTivusing with the family.

Love y'all! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Holy fuck the community salt about this ship. Added to the crying about the Ion, and it's a lot of negativity bring spouted.
1. You don't like the Steel, don't buy it.
2. The Ion will be balanced and balanced again. It's alpha.

Anyways, I'm going back to drinking beer and TESTivusing with the family.

Love y'all! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
Oh believe me, I don't have any money to buy anymore ships even if I wanted to lol.

I think the Steel is a blatant cash grab but yeah, ain't gonna lose any sleep or get my knickers in a knot over it.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Mmmm actually let's put all that in perspective.

Ok it might be a cash grab compared to the base Cutlass black since no huge difference (beside the dropseats and guns).

But the dropship Vanguard Hoplite is priced the same, has less guns and dps, and far less marines. Ok it has more shields, but well it's a crappy dropship (long-range what for).

I think I like the Steel for its dropship stats. It has the same dropship capacity as the Hoplite PLUS the Tally with dropship module combined.

It is a cheap dropship in the end ;)

Last edited:

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
All drop ships are overpriced, but this is CIG asking $235 for a fucking Cutlass, and that just doesn’t fly.

If it was a new concept, a specially designed ”budget” drop ship that did *exactly the same thing* I personally wouldnt have a problem, but this a cutlass black they have stuck a couple of door guns on and demanded $135 *per ship* for that non effort.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've just worked out the huge design flaw in this vehicle which will make it useless for TEST.

The side door guns... Imagine the scene:

Pilot: "WE'VE LOST AN ENGINE AND ARE COMING IN HOT, LAY DOWN SOME COVERING FIRE ON THE PORT SIDE AND GET THE TEAM OUTTA HERE"
Gunner: "Laying down suppressing fire, Team Go GO GOOO!"
Team Leader: "Exiting port side now"
Team: *SPLAT*
Gunner: "Erm... Pilot, the team ran in front of my gun..."
Pilot: "Again? "

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Judging community responses, the Cutlass Steel has been the least well-received ship sale of all time.

Does anyone think the community would have a different view if CIG said that the Steel is a "one-time-limited-release-ship" only, and never put it up for sale again?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Judging community responses, the Cutlass Steel has been the least well-received ship sale of all time.

Does anyone think the community would have a different view if CIG said that the Steel is a "one-time-limited-release-ship" only, and never put it up for sale again?
I would argue the Roc DS was more unpopular. The Steel may be overpriced and fragile and a PvP toy for the PvP market but at lease it's logical.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

IF the Steel had been a limited, 1 time only sale, some would've bought it to have collected it for the sake of owning those that will be most collectible, even if they're not the most useful. However, I still believe that the 1 thing that spoiled the release of the steel was that CIG totally jumped the shark in regards of its price point. At most, it should've been sold at concept for $150 WB & $175 non-WB to put it's price comparative to the Blue. Which could then later go up to $200 after a while. IMO, whoever decided the cost on this ship, regardless of it having the extra guns, metaphorically shit the bed with this release.

I would argue the Roc DS was more unpopular. The Steel may be overpriced and fragile and a PvP toy for the PvP market but at lease it's logical.
Oh, that is a difficult call, but the ROC-DS did originally come with an additional paint or more as well as a set of armor or more, based on the package you purchased. It also wasn't double the cost of the original ROC at that point.

Reactions: Sky Captain
Forgot your password?