newbie needing some advice please :-)

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
hi all you beautiful best squadron people you :-) i've been a member for some time now but im very rarely in the verse , so i have in my stupidity decide to buy the thrustmastrer t16000m dual sticks as i thought it will give me a more enjoyable experience than just keyboard and mouse ? im now wondering if i will still need a throttle control aswell as the dual stick's or is the speed controlled by the sticks ? another dilemma i have is my cutty black, i love the look of this ship and its multi purpose roll but at the moment in the verse it's not very good at anything ,it's to slow to fight ,trading is a joke i just lost 30k in trading as i cant sell anything i buy so i was wondering if i should melt my game package and start again with a gladius which i did own once ( couple of day ) before i upgraded to the cutty ! i found the gladius to be a very agile and was able to kill pve alot easier as standard even though i had no idea how to use it properly due to my own lack of time in the verse. so any advise will be most appreciated :-) but for now im gonna be gaming a little drunken bar fights on the misses oculus lol :-)

FlyCasual

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 3, 2021
RSI Handle
FlyCasual
I use two T1600s and thrustmaster floor pedals and love it. Forward and backward thrust on the pedals, brake in the middle. I find it gives me really nice speed control. I am sure there are better ways to set it all up, but I find it pretty handy and do fine in PVE and am not hopeless in PVP.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
i love the look of this ship and its multi purpose roll but at the moment in the verse it's not very good at anything
The Cutlass Black is a great all purpose ship, I would keep it and just run some missions until you get 1M and then buy a prospector.

Use that to mine and start getting 250k per run, from there you can afford a Gladius and pretty much any ship going forward.

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
I run the throttle (forward and reverse) on my left stick. I tend to think of it as a first person shooter on a console controller; the left stick is strafe in all directions and the right stick controls where you look. This works perfectly because the ships in SC can strafe side to side unlike typical airplane controls. That's the main reason why dual sticks are so good in SC

My strafe up and down is also on my left stick (twist left to go up, right to go down which is considered inverted in settings). My brain understands it naturally this way since it's lefty loosey (raising the screw from the wood) righty tighty (moving the screw down into the wood).

Roll is twisting the right stick.

Personally, I don't think pedals are necessary with this layout. A lot of people are bringing their flight sim bindings which makes sense but if you don't have those pre-existing muscle memories you'll be better off with dual sticks and that movement layout.

The joysticks really change this game. I love mine.

I posted BuZzZ Killer's bindings in another thread so I'll post them here too. They're a good baseline to start with and tweak as you wish.

Good luck! :o7:

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
I run the throttle (forward and reverse) on my left stick. I tend to think of it as a first person shooter on a console controller; the left stick is strafe in all directions and the right stick controls where you look. This works perfectly because the ships in SC can strafe side to side unlike typical airplane controls. That's the main reason why dual sticks are so good in SC

My strafe up and down is also on my left stick (twist left to go up, right to go down which is considered inverted in settings). My brain understands it naturally this way since it's lefty loosey (raising the screw from the wood) righty tighty (moving the screw down into the wood).

Personally, I don't think pedals are necessary with this layout. A lot of people are bringing their flight sim bindings which makes sense but if you don't have those pre-existing muscle memories you'll be better off with dual sticks and that movement layout.

I posted BuZzZ Killer's bindings in another thread so I'll post them here too. They're a good baseline to start with and tweak as you wish.

thank you so much it'll definatly help me once they arrive in a couple of days , im sure i'll run into problems as this is me and anything technical always wants to test my resolve lol hence a beer in hand and take a deep breathe :-)

Reactions: White Lando

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
You absolutely do not need throttle controls if you're rolling with dual sticks.

Some guys roll with pedals (Top pvp pilots like Avenger_One) as well but that's not necessary unless you're a hardcore min-maxer type.

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
The Cutlass Black is a great all purpose ship, I would keep it and just run some missions until you get 1M and then buy a prospector.

Use that to mine and start getting 250k per run, from there you can afford a Gladius and pretty much any ship going forward.
all hail our glorious leader :-) missions do you mean contracts ? god i need to play this alot more lol

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15

or perhaps i should look to try and upgrade everything on my cutty to make it a bit more of a cutty :-)

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
or perhaps i should look to try and upgrade everything on my cutty to make it a bit more of a cutty :-)
The stock Cutlass can be a bit rough.

Once fully upgraded with better shields and better weapons, it'll really shine. Others here have pointed out that it's a great all purpose ship that will continue to serve you well even when you can afford better ships. One thing to note (and this will be more apparent in the future) is that the Cutlass is cheap to fly....that's something worth considering.

I've pledged for ships the size of Gladiuses all the way to the Polaris and everything in between. I still find myself returning to the Cutlass Black just because it's so easy and cheap to get around in.

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
thank you so much it'll definatly help me once they arrive in a couple of days , im sure i'll run into problems as this is me and anything technical always wants to test my resolve lol hence a beer in hand and take a deep breathe :-)
Yeah, try to be patient. As with everything, you need to invest the time until you're operating the controls by instinct instead of having to think about what you're doing. This is more important than the layout itself.

If that layout doesn't feel natural, try to change stuff around. I played a metric shit load of Halo when I was in highschool and college so the FPS dual analog stick is engrained into my being.

The only difference I run in a ship vs FPS shooter is the pitch is inverted (press stick forward to push nose downward). I tried not inverted at first but it felt weird.

Reactions: Aramsolari

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15

umm just had a quick scan of this pic and what exactly am i looking at here pmsl :-) i have screen shotted it for future reference lol

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
The stock Cutlass can be a bit rough.

Once fully upgraded with better shields and better weapons, it'll really shine. Others here have pointed out that it's a great all purpose ship that will continue to serve you well even when you can afford better ships. One thing to note (and this will be more apparent in the future) is that the Cutlass is cheap to fly....that's something worth considering.

I've pledged for ships the size of Gladiuses all the way to the Polaris and everything in between. I still find myself returning to the Cutlass Black just because it's so easy and cheap to get around in.

trading at the moment is a waste of time i'll see if i can pick up some other contracts instead , massive thanks by the way for everyones help and advice :-)

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15

gotta learn how to fly this dumpster first lol :-)

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
umm just had a quick scan of this pic and what exactly am i looking at here pmsl :-) i have screen shotted it for future reference lol
It's a lot to take in lol! There's a lot of buttons on those hogs, boss!

I printed out a copy of that picture so I can reference it as needed. Eventually everything will stick in your brain.

I used Joy to Key to bring in his bindings (really cut down the initial setup) then saved a copy of my layout so I don't need to use Joy to Key anymore.

Here's the YouTube vids that will walk you through the process. The 2nd vid is needed because they changed the location of a folder. It will get everything working again.

Reactions: baal_15

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well for the dual joystick I won't be a bl to provide you some info (i'm a lcassic HOTAS user), but for sure you don't need also trottle and I think what @White Lando use is the "classic" dual joystick setup.
If you are interested in also usign a trottle then I think @marcsand2 coudl have some idea on how integrate it too: as far as I remember he uses the trottle to set the base speed (ex SCM speed) and then usea the left joystick to speedup/slowdown during combat... but I'm sure he'll provide more info on that if you are interested in a similar solution...

About the doubt on the Cuttlass Black I personally thing is a ship that every player that is not on a dedicated role should have in theyr hangar.
Is not the best fighter, nor the more agile ship or the bet hauler, but is all of that role in a ship that is small and "cheap" bot as in-game asset and real chash.
Cobat side with 4x S3 hardpoint for the pilot plus a 2xS3 turret and a copilot that could support with 16 missile (8xS3 + 8xS2) is nothing to be ashame of even if the agility don't make it a pure dogfighter like the Gladius.
Cargo side is 45 SCU that is not much, but also have the ability to carry 2 small vehicles (ROC, Thumbril) and could also accomadate 6 man on fold-down seats in the back making it a small dropship capable of carrying a squad and support vehicles, plus the 2500 quantum fuel unite are nothing to be ashame and can carry you across stanton and return without any problem or refuel stop.
Running cost consideration is extramealy cheap to run and repair, especially if during low altitude and slow speed flight you switch in VTOL mode.

Component wise is not the best ship out there and lack in redundancy, but with a FR-76 shield and a Crossifiled Q-drive you are uusually set, all the other components don't really need and upgrade.
For the weapons I run mine with 4x FL-33 and I find it a good compromise for stopping power and durability, but that is down to your preferences.

Finally I like to point out that even if some players dislike the wall of monitor of the pilot seat the Cuttlass series are the only ship where you'll be able to have ALL the MFD in your field of view, without the need to look around your cockpit for searching for the target hud, the power distribution or the need to re-arrange the MDF configuration every single time you enter the ship.

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
Well for the dual joystick I won't be a bl to provide you some info (i'm a lcassic HOTAS user), but for sure you don't need also trottle and I think what @White Lando use is the "classic" dual joystick setup.
If you are interested in also usign a trottle then I think @marcsand2 coudl have some idea on how integrate it too: as far as I remember he uses the trottle to set the base speed (ex SCM speed) and then usea the left joystick to speedup/slowdown during combat... but I'm sure he'll provide more info on that if you are interested in a similar solution...

About the doubt on the Cuttlass Black I personally thing is a ship that every player that is not on a dedicated role should have in theyr hangar.
Is not the best fighter, nor the more agile ship or the bet hauler, but is all of that role in a ship that is small and "cheap" bot as in-game asset and real chash.
Cobat side with 4x S3 hardpoint for the pilot plus a 2xS3 turret and a copilot that could support with 16 missile (8xS3 + 8xS2) is nothing to be ashame of even if the agility don't make it a pure dogfighter like the Gladius.
Cargo side is 45 SCU that is not much, but also have the ability to carry 2 small vehicles (ROC, Thumbril) and could also accomadate 6 man on fold-down seats in the back making it a small dropship capable of carrying a squad and support vehicles, plus the 2500 quantum fuel unite are nothing to be ashame and can carry you across stanton and return without any problem or refuel stop.
Running cost consideration is extramealy cheap to run and repair, especially if during low altitude and slow speed flight you switch in VTOL mode.

Component wise is not the best ship out there and lack in redundancy, but with a FR-76 shield and a Crossifiled Q-drive you are uusually set, all the other components don't really need and upgrade.
For the weapons I run mine with 4x FL-33 and I find it a good compromise for stopping power and durability, but that is down to your preferences.

Finally I like to point out that even if some players dislike the wall of monitor of the pilot seat the Cuttlass series are the only ship where you'll be able to have ALL the MFD in your field of view, without the need to look around your cockpit for searching for the target hud, the power distribution or the need to re-arrange the MDF configuration every single time you enter the ship.
thank you for the input i suppose i was just getting a bit bored of it as i haven't been in the verse a lot.i guess it's probably down to my lack of game play and knowledge especially how to make money in it :-)

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
It's a lot to take in lol! There's a lot of buttons on those hogs, boss!

I printed out a copy of that picture so I can reference it as needed. Eventually everything will stick in your brain.

I used Joy to Key to bring in his bindings (really cut down the initial setup) then saved a copy of my layout so I don't need to use Joy to Key anymore.

Here's the YouTube vids that will walk you through the process. The 2nd vid is needed because they changed the location of a folder. It will get everything working again.

omg thank you buddy i'll watch them in a mo ready for when they finally get here grrrr :-)

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
thank you all for your help and advise it's most appreciated i can't wait to see the difference from keyboard and mouse is to dual stick's lol and thank's again for being such a great community :-)

Forgot your password?