Oh, my Pete(?)! They called it a Carrack Killer! - shitstorm's coming right up! :D

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
It already started (not me this time ;D) :

Edit - and another one:

And..

Ok that's enough, you kow how it is...

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I thrive on the tears of my fellow Citizens ...

min-maxers gonna min-max

95% of the ships we're buying will rarely leave their hangars because they're not the best ships for their purpose

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
I thrive on the tears of my fellow Citizens ...

min-maxers gonna min-max

95% of the ships we're buying will rarely leave their hangars because they're not the best ships for their purpose
It's a very clever marketing strategy to humiliate Carracklovers, bringing more hesitant buyers to upgrade while at the same time handing them the Carrack as loaner making them regret to not permanently owning it as well.

It won't be pretty to watch neither is an accident and poeple can't stop staring...

And you're right, it's all for the sake of owning something you probably won't even have a chance to use.

"Do we take your Ody or mine?"

"Bah let's take the Carrack I gotta be in bed in two hours, need something fast!"

"But I want to prospect something!"

"Duh, I hate mining "

"Ok, padramming some noobs, instead?"

"Ok let's go, but only for 30min, I really need to go to bed soon!"

Last edited:

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
Seems like they went a slightly different route with the Odyssey which keeps the Carrack viable for its original purpose.

I don't mind the ship designers trying to out do a competing ship if there is still some balancing. That's how MISC would approach it if MISC was a real company. "Carrack killer" is good marketing.

Need to go check out Spectrum for the meltdown. I can't get enough of their tears.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
People so desperately want to buy an "I win" ship ...
There are no "best ships" in this game. It's all based on preference and the gameplay you seek.

Want to long distance explore and be able to push back potential hostile forces as you expand your influence? Use a Carrack.
Want to long distance explore for the next 8 hours with a crew completely independently? Use an Oyssey.

The entire point of all these options is to allow you to make a niche for yourself in the verse. It was never about "winning" .... anything. It was never about your ship being "the best" for .... everything.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
According to the only accurate source of information in the world, the IGN comments section, there is no game! So what on earth are all these ppl even arguing about? Didn't you know it's a scam and it will never be released? What's the point of even thinking about the carrack and odessey when they don't even exist?

BTW, aren't we all at Test obligated to fly an aurora and nothing else anyways?

Also also, I can see all the butthurt that's coming from when it was clarified that the odessey can't mine and refine anything else than quantanium for its own fuel. Must have been a slap in the face for a lot of ppl. A lot of ppl, of whom 99% would never take out either ship as they both would require a crew and poses a huge risk in downtime if lost. All these ppl Will stick to something that's suited to the thing they want to do at that moment, be it a prospector or a vanguard.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I just find it funny. I guess they forgot about the Endeavor.
I was thinking this. "Explorer Cab" it can't get much more obvious than that. The fact the cab can also dive into the Corona of a star also makes it a Max Tank in my eyes too.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I can see why they are grumpy, they were promised the top tier explorer ship, waited forever for it, then shown something arguably(?) better.

CIG is going to constantly roll out bigger/better ships, otherwise sales will drop off.

JudgeJuryExctnr

Captain
Nov 23, 2021
RSI Handle
JudgeJuryExctnr
I am new to this game, and I like both the Odyssey and the Carrack.

I am not sure how it's a "Carrack killer". It sounds like they cater to different folks. The Odyssey has two known advantages. It can mine for more fuel, and it has a massive hanger. I suppose the hanger can be used similar to how the carrack will be able to swap out cargo bays for modularity. If you have a healthy assortment of small - medium ships for different purposes then you can bring one along and change the function of the odyssey in some sense.

The Carrack has the drop ship functionality, the drones, and the modularity as it's potential known advantages.

To me, it sounds like you might be able upgrade your Carrack to get the features you want vs the Odyssey requiring other small ships to augment functionality. To me a new player, it seems like a choice with neither really being a "better" option and each having potential advantages and drawbacks.

Forgot your password?