Opinions: 400i vs DUR

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Do you all think these two ships will serve fundamentally different "exploration" purposes in-game, or do you think the 400i will essentially just be the Origin Fancy Schmancy explore ship that's between a DUR and a Connie?

Thinking of overhauling my fleet this Expo and really dig this ship, just not sure it's worth an upgrade from my DUR when it comes to overall gameplay. Obviously it's style and components are going to fetch that luxury price ... just curious what you all think.

I wonder if the DUR being an "Exploration/Expedition" vs the 400i being an "Exploration/Pathfinder" will actually have a gameplay difference.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Also,

RIP My Sabre. Cuz that sucker is turning into a Star Runner and I'll just upgrade my Avenger into a Gladius or Arrow.
That sucker could just as easily be a daily driver for me as the 400i ... probably more so since I actually want in on the hacking/data running gameplay.

Figure the Herald could be the ship ya need to grab info in a dangerous system and scoot ... while the MSR can be the ship you use to smuggle said data to where it needs to go. Those ships are a pretty rad pair if you ask me.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Wasnt the DUR the only exploration ship able to go through small jump-point? Plus it is supposed to have its own refinery (probably scrapped now but we'll see).

The 400i exploration style is like riches going for vacation in uncharted territory :) Better not run out of champagne in the middle of nowhere ^^

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Wasnt the DUR the only exploration ship able to go through small jump-point? Plus it is supposed to have its own refinery (probably scrapped now but we'll see).

The 400i exploration style is like riches going for vacation in uncharted territory :) Better not run out of champagne in the middle of nowhere ^^

From my memory, it was suppose to be the smallest explorer that could fit in all jump gates.

But I'm not sure that's the case anymore.
Pretty sure they've changed the way jumpgates are going to work.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Well, the 400i is about half again more on just about everything vs the DUR.
Sixty meters in length vs 38 meters.
Cargo space of 42 SCU vs DUR 28.
Three Med radars instead of 1.
Three size 2 power plants instead of 1.
One Large shield instead of 2 Med.
For weapons the 400i has two size 4 pilot controlled hardpoints, and two remote turrets with dual size 3 hardpoints vs the two dual size 3 pilot controlled side turrets and single manned turret with dual size 2 hardpoints of the DUR.
The 400i has a compliment of 16 size 2 and 16 size 1 missiles vs the 4 size 3 and 4 size 2 of the DUR.

I upgraded my DUR to the 400i, mainly because I like the interior layout of the 400i.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

I thought it was a fuel scoop not a quantum fuel refinery. I know that a lot of ships currently replenish maneuvering fuel that shouldn't and that's one of the features of ships like the DUR that can replenish it. Others will need to call on a Starfarer or Vulcan.

From my memory, it was suppose to be the smallest explorer that could fit in all jump gates.

But I'm not sure that's the case anymore.
Pretty sure they've changed the way jumpgates are going to work.
That's been my impression as well, we will need to wait and see how it develops as it seems that Chris has changed it to wanting them to be more a natural wormhole entrance than a physical gate and while it still can limit what ships can fly inside the tunnel it seems like it's going to be fuzzier on what can and cannot fit as well as pilot skill-based.

As for the 400, I am not sure how it is able to accomplish its intended role over ships like the Constellation Aquila or the 600i Explorer. As for the 400 vs the DUR the only thing I can see is its ability to hold more Quantum fuel and more cargo which should give it longer legs to explore as well as the holo table might be beneficial to see what objects are around it. But most of that would just be speculation on how its going to end up being.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Weren't there rumors of another medium/large MISC exploration ship coming soon?
Yep. Might even be a combo refinery/explore ship. Should be at the Expo.

Personally, I only own soloable ships. And I'm readjusting a little. Might even take the Avenger and grab a Hull B, honestly.

Definitely wouldn't mind doing some light trucking. But the science/explore/data gameplay is what I'm interested.

So basically ... everything that will be added last. lol

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Do you all think these two ships will serve fundamentally different "exploration" purposes in-game, or do you think the 400i will essentially just be the Origin Fancy Schmancy explore ship that's between a DUR and a Connie?

Thinking of overhauling my fleet this Expo and really dig this ship, just not sure it's worth an upgrade from my DUR when it comes to overall gameplay. Obviously it's style and components are going to fetch that luxury price ... just curious what you all think.

I wonder if the DUR being an "Exploration/Expedition" vs the 400i being an "Exploration/Pathfinder" will actually have a gameplay difference.
I'm thinking that the 400i is a exploration gap filler between the Aquila & DUR that has its price hiked by the "luxury tax". I'm not sure which of these 3 ships will have the longest range, but I am hoping that the Freelancers will still remain the largest ships that can traverse the small jump points when that time comes.

As for your fleet becoming adjusted during the IAE / Anniversary sale, I wish you the best of luck in adjusting your fleet to something that makes you very happy.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
The honest answer to your question is that we can't answer it with facts yet.

Freelancers were stated long ago to be the largest ship that would fit through a small wormhole. But during the hype around the MSR, it was stated they expect that to fit thru any wormhole that the Freelancer will. So maybe the goalposts shifted to 'Connie-sized' ships.

With regard to quantum fuel, they carry nearly the identical amount. The DUR has a small edge. They both far, far exceed the range that ships with small QT drives can reach, and most mediums.

For SCM fuel, the center bay of the DUR is a refinery that is said to allow processing different gasses and storing them in separate tanks. Again, probably a long way off, but put into place for reasons.

In my opinion the DUR is a solo ship with room for friends. It's durable, has traditionally had one of the lowest signatures for size, can reasonably dogfight, and should be cheap to keep operating out in the black.

The 400i is a small crew ship that can be soloed if need be. It's faster but less agile, will cost more to maintain, really needs those turrets manned, but includes capabilities (i.e. holotable) that aren't fully explained.

HOW WELL either of them will actually perform at finding 'stuff' is the underlying question, and there is no way to answer that at this time.

When it comes to the career of Exploration, there is damn little information to make decisions with. So I have both 😄

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Yup. That's the biggest problem and gamble you have to take. Of course, you can always melt and change where your pledge money goes. So it's no biggie in the long run.

And for exploring, I expect it to be one of the last core loops to be introduced. As it's the most dependent on an expanded verse.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The honest answer to your question is that we can't answer it with facts yet.

Freelancers were stated long ago to be the largest ship that would fit through a small wormhole. But during the hype around the MSR, it was stated they expect that to fit thru any wormhole that the Freelancer will. So maybe the goalposts shifted to 'Connie-sized' ships.

With regard to quantum fuel, they carry nearly the identical amount. The DUR has a small edge. They both far, far exceed the range that ships with small QT drives can reach, and most mediums.

For SCM fuel, the center bay of the DUR is a refinery that is said to allow processing different gasses and storing them in separate tanks. Again, probably a long way off, but put into place for reasons.

In my opinion the DUR is a solo ship with room for friends. It's durable, has traditionally had one of the lowest signatures for size, can reasonably dogfight, and should be cheap to keep operating out in the black.

The 400i is a small crew ship that can be soloed if need be. It's faster but less agile, will cost more to maintain, really needs those turrets manned, but includes capabilities (i.e. holotable) that aren't fully explained.

HOW WELL either of them will actually perform at finding 'stuff' is the underlying question, and there is no way to answer that at this time.

When it comes to the career of Exploration, there is damn little information to make decisions with. So I have both 😄
All very well stated.

Yup. That's the biggest problem and gamble you have to take. Of course, you can always melt and change where your pledge money goes. So it's no biggie in the long run.

And for exploring, I expect it to be one of the last core loops to be introduced. As it's the most dependent on an expanded verse.
Truth be told, my gut respectfully disagree given how many ships are already listed for the Verse that pertain to the exploration field. I strongly suspect that it might be the science, research & development career field that might be last to be fully flushed out as so far the only science / R&D ship is the Endeavor with some of its modules.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Thinking about it a bit more ...

The fact that they insist this is a Connie competitor might not just be because of the components, but also it's size is more inline with the Connie and will serve as a more refined and explore specific, run if you get in trouble competitor to it.

Hence, maintaining the small jump ability of the DUR and being more for expedition, anywhere.

All very well stated.

Truth be told, my gut respectfully disagree given how many ships are already listed for the Verse that pertain to the exploration field. I strongly suspect that it might be the science, research & development career field that might be last to be fully flushed out as so far the only science / R&D ship is the Endeavor with some of its modules.

I dunno ...

It's pretty easy to "fake it til you make it" with science.

The ability to research and make consumables like the meds would be enough to give those ships purpose. The assets they need are in game already.

Exploration specifically needs large space to explore. A weak iteration of the game loop will feel extremely under whelming for those ships

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The DUR was my first ship and I still love it......
My 1st ship was the Mustang Omega. My only complaint about it is that, much like the Saber Raven, it only came with 2 months of ship insurance. I'm hoping that at some point, some how, CIG will upgrade those to LTI since there's no other way of gaining those.

Lemming

Vice Admiral
Apr 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Anotherlemming
The information we have on jump points is very old and very weird.

Right now we believe

Small jump points are for the Freelancer and smaller so pretty much freelancer and single seat fighters.

Medium jump points are from a freelancer all the way up to an Idris

Large jump points are pretty much only for like 5 ships.

That is 100% going to change.

The DUR was one of those ships that kept creeping back into my fleet then getting upgraded, with the 400i out, I believe its out for good now.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It doesn't make much sense to make any long term decisions about ships when we don't have a clue what their capabilities and stats will be. I would note for now, the MSR has much greater range and cargo capacity than the 400i or DUR, and it has a dedicated sensor suite very few other ships have. We don't know what this last means yet. We only know the 400i and DUR are listed with 2 radars and the MSR with 5. So right now, I don't think the MSR has competition. While I certainly prefer the layout of the 400i, things like range, speed, cargo, computers and sensors are going to end up mattering hugely. I think that means fly an MSR at least for now and be in a position to find out what that scan chair does when it comes online.

Exception: the it appears once CIG fixes the component EM f*ck-up they have screwed us all with, that the MSR will have an IR signature about 150% that of the 400i and DUR. So if you want quiet, that is a reason to prefer the DUR and 400i over the MSR. At present all the component stats are screwed, so there's no way to make sense of this issue.

Last edited:

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I may be a bit old school, but I love the utilitarian look and feel of the dur. it is a bit of a "jack of all trades" ship. It can easily be manned by one person and has the capacity to man a 4 man crew which makes it a perfect ship for a small crew capable of long term travel or exploration. it supposedly has advanced scanners designed for exploration. The 400i is quite a bit bigger and a max crew of three. so with a dur toy get one extra crew spot for almost half the price. the 400i has twice the storage capacity, but if your hauling for money there are better ships for that. I feel that the dur overall is the best starter ship for exploration for the money. a person can grab a dur starting out in this game and have room for 3 other friends to come along on the adventure. it doesn't have the style as the 400i, but again I love the utilitarian look of it and at 135 usd, well your not going to really beat it for what it is. an awesome starter jack of all trades ships.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I may be a bit old school, but I love the utilitarian look and feel of the dur. it is a bit of a "jack of all trades" ship. It can easily be manned by one person and has the capacity to man a 4 man crew which makes it a perfect ship for a small crew capable of long term travel or exploration. it supposedly has advanced scanners designed for exploration. The 400i is quite a bit bigger and a max crew of three. so with a dur toy get one extra crew spot for almost half the price. the 400i has twice the storage capacity, but if your hauling for money there are better ships for that. I feel that the dur overall is the best starter ship for exploration for the money. a person can grab a dur starting out in this game and have room for 3 other friends to come along on the adventure. it doesn't have the style as the 400i, but again I love the utilitarian look of it and at 135 usd, well your not going to really beat it for what it is. an awesome starter jack of all trades ships.
I have a feeling that we will find that the cargo space matters greatly and not for its current use but in storing food, water, ammo, weapons armor as well as all of the artifacts and gear found out exploring.

The other thing to take into consideration is that the 400 can take two ground vehicles but it's not going to be able to take the enclosed larger rover which might be beneficial on some planets.

Reebourne

Space Marshal
Jul 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Reebourne
I just upgraded my Dur to a 400i. mostly because it looks good. but also it is a very practical ship nice facilities for all 3 crew. again carry space for 2 vehicles or some cargo. Looks like a ship I would use on a daily basis. The Dur looks more like a hardcore explorer.

Also I am upgrading my Sabre to a Freelancer MIS, as this seems to suit my combat style more, can carry 4 people and equipment and a couple of vehicles. And can rain missiles on anything. It seemed a good all round combat mission option. So having 2 Freelancers seemed less desirable.

Forgot your password?