Organization Reputation

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
We spoke briefly in chat regarding this, I believe it deserves some more discussion.

I think there are going to be rep goals organizations are going to want to strive for. As rep will be the median of the members,
having upstanding citizens and criminals contributing to the rep pool could be contradictory.

From Spectrum:
Yes, org rep will be a thing, based primarily on an aggregation of its members -
org/fleet rep based on component player reps:
“Applecrow: We know there will be a rep system for our own characters, will orgs have rep as well?
Yes, organizations will also have reputation in terms of how they have a reputation with other organizations and in fact that's kind of the general reputation system. Even your own character, your reputations, are based on your reputations with other organizations.
So organizations will have inter-org reputation, and then players will have reputations back and forth with different organizations.”
Advancement will depend on how many of their members are advancing each goal at any given time.

CIG have talked about needing to police your org members and make sure they're all on the same page regarding the org's goals. Also, I believe it will be possible for one player to have different characters in different orgs, so I can have my pirate character and not have its reputation drag down my lawful org. Likewise, my lawful character won't impact my pirate gang's standing.

edit: some more info -
“Your public criminal reputation functions as a slider so no one action (unless it was extremely severe) should not shift someone into being considered a pirate.”
And (money laundering)
“creating a legit character and using them as a front for your criminal character is only going to get you so far as associating with any criminal characters will build criminal reputation. So, yes you can have a legit character and a pirate on the same account, but trying to exploit the system will end with both of them being criminals.”
And
“What happens when you get caught committing a crime?
You'll become a criminal. Your organization will become known as a criminal organization. Any affiliated organizations will begin to be associated with and considered to be criminals the longer and more involved they are with the criminal organization.
Legit organizations that suffer a member going rogue and becoming a criminal will have to expel member, turn them in if possible, and work to repair the damage done to their reputation.”

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
nobody in TEST wants the job of vetting members - it's not what we're about

nobody in TEST wants the job of booting 'non-compliant' members

hence, no initiative to manage Org-wide rep will ever get off the ground - it will be what it will be

but you're welcome to try

if you want to be 'that guy'

• Love
Reactions: Deroth and vahadar

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
So if I ram my Aurora into someone's Idris, per Test standards, will I flag the whole organization as criminal? LOL

Honestly I haven't heard yet why 'rep' will be fun. I get that its a statistic to differentiate players. But why is it ... 'fun'?

• Love
Reactions: vahadar and Szioul

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I highly doubt that the task of managing close to 20k players behaviour and rep will interest anyone, and even if not all registered members will be active Testies that still leaves a few thousands at least to monitor.

Who wants to be the bad human relation guy? :)

If Test is flagged as criminal this just means more targets.

But anyway CIG ideas about rep and orgs are still far from polished and really basic concepts. It is so easy to get crimestat in-game even not doing anything wrong (don't hear an order to stop engine to be scanned or QT when scanned? Bammm you're a criminal...).

Otherwise any average orgs will be turned into militaristic policing group of players. Where is the fun here?

Edit : especially when org tags on Organization are not mutually exclusive (like piracy or smuggling Vs trading), an org can have all tags actually, like Test is doing.
So this mean that the Rep system is really really far from seeing the light.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deroth

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I can't see anything other than a 20-30 man org being able to maintain some sort of perfect score when it comes to a rep level.

Im not completely sure I fully understand how important an orgs rep as a whole will be.

If you are the highest level paragon in the highest level renegade org, what happens?

If you are the highest level renegade in the highest level paragon org, what happens?

There are so many unanswered questions on this topic, I don't think even the devs have a full solution for all the different possible scenarios.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
It did say an aggregation of it's members, so you'd need thousands of people to start breaking laws to tip the balance (the advantage of having almost 20k members). I think even if a hundred TEST members suddenly went an axe murdering spree, it would be a blip on the reputation radar.

Reactions: Deroth

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
If you compare to other massive MMOs like EvE, org rep are built based on global org actions, forum drama and geopolitics (alliances and so on). A system 100% based on human interactions and feelings.

So if CIG system is trying to implement some mechanics to force people not to interact with each others because of their in-game law and order rules, they got it all wrong.

But in an universe where players will amount for 10% of the population, I understand the need to label orgs with lawfull-evil ranking, if needed to interact with NPC's. This requires serious thinking still.

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
I highly doubt that the task of managing close to 20k players behaviour and rep will interest anyone
I wouldn't want to tell anyone how to play, that's not what I'm getting at. More, I'm wondering what we can expect, or theory craft
might be behind an org rep wall.

I can't see anything other than a 20-30 man org being able to maintain some sort of perfect score when it comes to a rep level.
Not perfect no, I don't know how it will work, but we are up against orgs with a singular focus.

Im not completely sure I fully understand how important an orgs rep as a whole will be.
Well, no one is, except CIG. This is a non issue if there's nothing decent on the line. What would make us take notice?
Maybe it's a fleet pirate skin for the MSR haha
MSR Pirate.jpg

If you are the highest level paragon in the highest level renegade org, what happens?
What if we can unlock a pirate base if we criminal rep grind

CathcartSpider3.jpg

It did say an aggregation of it's members, so you'd need thousands of people to start breaking laws to tip the balance (the advantage of having almost 20k members). I think even if a hundred TEST members suddenly went an axe murdering spree, it would be a blip on the reputation radar.
I wouldn't mind if we went on an axe murdering spree. Our lawful space truckers or bounty hunters might though, if UEE rep meant lower fuel costs, or access to higher paying bounties.

It's all theory crafting, but something I think we should be aware of. Some of the things CIG mentions on Org rep sound pretty drastic.

Attachments

Reactions: Patrick Spaceman

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmmm....
we don't have even the basic infrastructure for players-org in-game (like TAG in player name, meaningful ranking etc) and there is already the drama starting??
I think is faaaar to early to think on those aspect of the game: they are too wide and too complex for hammering our head onto, nice to have CIG start thinking on it, but i'll whait for at least the first interaction on it before planning anything in regard.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
nobody in TEST wants the job of vetting members - it's not what we're about

nobody in TEST wants the job of booting 'non-compliant' members

hence, no initiative to manage Org-wide rep will ever get off the ground - it will be what it will be

but you're welcome to try

if you want to be 'that guy'
honestly, since you can be part of multiple orgs, I can easily see Test organizing into various interests Test Squadron - Rock Raiders, Test Squadron - Yellow Jackets, etc. That way if some group was engaged in piracy and you didn't want to be a pirate, you could just be a hauler person. That said, I am lowly member, not anyone important. There may be very good reasons remain part of the same org. I think something would be lost by breaking Test up, but then we could be Test Squadrons =)

Forgot your password?