PC Advice. Keypads/GPUs etc.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I just ordered a 2060 Super yesterday, should have it on Monday. That should be enough for me to get by for at least another 1-2 years (replacing my 1060 which goes into the wife's pc). The 2080 seems to be a not so great value/money option, you might want to look into it some more if it's worth it for your use case.
Thumbs uo for the 1440p 144hz. I'm looking into getting one myself later next year. Which one did you get?
Oh I haven't bought anything yet. Still deployed. I'm just getting everything prepped so when I get home, I can go forth armed with knowledge of stuff and things. I'm still vacillating between getting the system I pursued in the OP, or waiting until the new NVIDIA architecture drops later in Q2 2020.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Another question my friends:

Speed pads. I'm intrigued. I play a shit ton of Destiny 2, and obviously SC will be a staple. Are these beautiful gadgets worth the money, and if so, which ones would you all recommend?

Reactions: Vavrik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Another question my friends:

Speed pads. I'm intrigued. I play a shit ton of Destiny 2, and obviously SC will be a staple. Are these beautiful gadgets worth the money, and if so, which ones would you all recommend?
Whats a speed pad?
You mean mouse pad for speed? I use a knockoff Razer pad, supposed to be a control/precision variant vs speed cos I'm a high-sensitivity/small movements kinda user. Been using it for years now and I think it was well worth the 10bucks or so. It's comfy and the mouse tracks perfectly on it.
Or are we talking about something completely different lol?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Whats a speed pad?
You mean mouse pad for speed? I use a knockoff Razer pad, supposed to be a control/precision variant vs speed cos I'm a high-sensitivity/small movements kinda user. Been using it for years now and I think it was well worth the 10bucks or so. It's comfy and the mouse tracks perfectly on it.
Or are we talking about something completely different lol?
One of these bad-boys. Whatever they're officially called, lol.

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Hey Owl, I have that speed pad.
I have big hands with old stiff fingers and the ergonomics work well for me.
However I have too much crap on my desk.
So I have been using this keyboard lately.
This keyboards ergonomics accommodates my large hands and works just about as well.
With the single rest pad for the left hand I can move my left hand from my hotas throttle to the keyboard without looking.
They may make something better out there but I think I'm on the right track.
I'm curious to find out what set up other people are using. Please share.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
This keyboards ergonomics accommodates my large hands and works just about as well.
With the single rest pad for the left hand I can move my left hand from my hotas throttle to the keyboard without looking.

Interesting. Now that I'm getting close to the end of deployment, I'm starting to shop computer stuff, as I'll be upgrading soon. So I'm looking into the things that may make life a wee bit easier, or gaming more immersive, etc. So I'll check out the keyboard! Thank you for the input.
I have the logitech G13 and cant get used to it for shooters. Maybe Ill pick it up again at some point for mouse/keyboard flight since it has an analogue stick or as an extra button box or something.
I hear it can be quite a learning curve to get used to these for FPS. But I can get a Razer Tartarus v2 for about 60 Canadian right now, so I'm intrigued.

Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
One of these bad-boys. Whatever they're officially called, lol.
That sexy beast is s Tartarus V2, IIRC. They should be around $80 and they're neat but the reviews I've seen is that they're a little "awkward" to get used to as they loose the tradition keyboard key layout. If you simply like the idea of a small layout for a smaller desk look at the half-keyboard designs by Redragon here: https://smile.amazon.com/Redragon-K585-One-Handed-Mechanical-Professional/dp/B07NBJVH4G/ref=sxin_1_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMjUgYW5kICQ1MA==-ac_d_pm&keywords=half+keyboard&pd_rd_i=B07NBJVH4G&pd_rd_r=1f462149-8016-4e82-8c17-6ce7518f807f&pd_rd_w=6wz4a&pd_rd_wg=GhNEs&pf_rd_p=709d2064-e546-4799-9e66-b352ea89951f&pf_rd_r=4TQG5VM1TSG35KH1NW2K&psc=1&qid=1577660849 (longest link ever lol)

I've been considering maybe grabbing one of there smaller keypads so I can make better room for my HOTAS setup on my smaller desk rather than having to move stuff every time I get in/out of a ship in SC.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
That sexy beast is s Tartarus V2, IIRC. They should be around $80 and they're neat but the reviews I've seen is that they're a little "awkward" to get used to as they loose the tradition keyboard key layout. If you simply like the idea of a small layout for a smaller desk look at the half-keyboard designs by Redragon here: https://smile.amazon.com/Redragon-K585-One-Handed-Mechanical-Professional/dp/B07NBJVH4G/ref=sxin_1_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMjUgYW5kICQ1MA==-ac_d_pm&keywords=half+keyboard&pd_rd_i=B07NBJVH4G&pd_rd_r=1f462149-8016-4e82-8c17-6ce7518f807f&pd_rd_w=6wz4a&pd_rd_wg=GhNEs&pf_rd_p=709d2064-e546-4799-9e66-b352ea89951f&pf_rd_r=4TQG5VM1TSG35KH1NW2K&psc=1&qid=1577660849 (longest link ever lol)

I've been considering maybe grabbing one of there smaller keypads so I can make better room for my HOTAS setup on my smaller desk rather than having to move stuff every time I get in/out of a ship in SC.
I actually ordered a Razer Tartarus v2 last night off of the Razer page. It was almost 50% off, lol. Never thought about a smaller keyboard, but that's also an interesting idea.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

This looks really neat! I want one lol
I got an Asus Cerberus v1 as a present a few years ago. It is the worst keyboard I ever had, and I had some really cheap ones. It is much much worse than any sub 10usd noname mall junk keyboard out there. Avoid at all costs, unless you want to cause pain and suffering to someone, in that case it makes for a great present lol

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
My wife has an old gen1 of that Razer 'speed pad'...since it is Razer it was always extremely unreliable and their customer service is one of the worst in the entire computer component industry. If it was more reliable she might've stuck with it more, but it ultimately went in the trash as using a good quality gaming keyboard ended up making her happy.

If you decide to go with pre-built PC then MSI is fine, but I strongly discourage building your own MSI based rig. I've tried three times over the past two decades, their support for BYO is so horrid that I ended up returning everything MSI to replace with EVGA instead. MSI's support site is an atrocity for anyone that doesn't read Mandarin, many key drivers and digital signatures are only available on their site in Mandarin, and their customer support is only decent when compared agaisnt Razer.

For peripherals and RAM, I've become a big fan recently of Corsair.

Steve Jobs predicted the death of the PC in 2010, believing tablets and smart phones would eliminate the need and desire for them in a couple years. Instead PCs refocused on performance, which is the same reason why cloud won't be replacing PC either.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I just ordered a 2060 Super yesterday, should have it on Monday. That should be enough for me to get by for at least another 1-2 years (replacing my 1060 which goes into the wife's pc). The 2080 seems to be a not so great value/money option, you might want to look into it some more if it's worth it for your use case.
Thumbs uo for the 1440p 144hz. I'm looking into getting one myself later next year. Which one did you get?
2060 Super would not give you 144 fps in SC at the highest settings I'm afraid... -- I have 2070 Super and it's able to produce 70-80 fps on average -- up to 120 fps in SC in deep space and more than 50 fps in the GPU-demanding cities like Lorville.

And BTW, in case any of you is still looking for a 144Hz display, I have ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q and I love it. It's a 27-inch 1440p 144Hz (165Hz overlockable) IPS display with G-Sync. Once calibrated properly it gives you very good color accuracy.

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Several years ago I started using SSD storage. Best PC performance upgrade I ever did. I used Samsung Evo SSD, they might not be the fastest but they have been Rock solid for several years. Nowadays a 1 terabyte Samsung Evo will go on sale for 100 US dollars.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

If you decide to go with pre-built PC then MSI is fine, but I strongly discourage building your own MSI based rig. I've tried three times over the past two decades, their support for BYO is so horrid that I ended up returning everything MSI to replace with EVGA instead. MSI's support site is an atrocity for anyone that doesn't read Mandarin, many key drivers and digital signatures are only available on their site in Mandarin, and their customer support is only decent when compared agaisnt Razer.
Hmm stragne, I actually have a full MSI rig assembled something like 3 years ago and it work fine, no problem at all... I've to say that I've never need the MSI support.
Ever had a lots of problem with Asus componet instead in the past, I've personally banned Asus Motherboard: two of them buyed, two of them died within 2 years...no more thanks...

2060 Super would not give you 144 fps in SC at the highest settings I'm afraid... -- I have 2070 Super and it's able to produce 70-80 fps on average -- up to 120 fps in SC in deep space and more than 50 fps in the GPU-demanding cities like Lorville.
I think FPS limitation is due form the server side, not your hardware. Onestly I feel SC, without considering all the bug due to the Alpha state, is preatty decent optimized and they keep the optimization improve...
I feel some time from now we will experience a good 60-80 FPS even with a card of few years a go @1080p and mid-hight setting, that is still wery good looking.

Several years ago I started using SSD storage. Best PC performance upgrade I ever did. I used Samsung Evo SSD, they might not be the fastest but they have been Rock solid for several years. Nowadays a 1 terabyte Samsung Evo will go on sale for 100 US dollars.
Well Samsung Evo series is not a bad choice at all, neither the cheeapest one. I've just bought (like befour Chistmas...) a new Kingstone SSD for 1 TB at less then 100€, not bad for the "big drive".
Onestly nowaday I'll go for a new rig for some NVM.e drive: they are freaking fast compared to standard SATA 3 driver, and simplify the cable management olso, just get a good matherboard and a Ryzen CPU and you'll have plenty of PCI line to drive all your componet.
SATA SSD nowaday can be relegated to mass storage device, with 1 or 2 2TB SSD as archive disk
Old spin drive can be used for internal or external backup with a single 2-3 TB drive.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Hmm stragne, I actually have a full MSI rig assembled something like 3 years ago and it work fine, no problem at all... I've to say that I've never need the MSI support.
Ever had a lots of problem with Asus componet instead in the past, I've personally banned Asus Motherboard: two of them buyed, two of them died within 2 years...no more thanks...
I have to fully agree on Asus as well, I used to like them over a decade ago, but they made some design decisions on their bios interface that didn't make much sense (reduced usability) and they seemed to become unreliable like they switched to a bargain brand for many key components.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I have to fully agree on Asus as well, I used to like them over a decade ago, but they made some design decisions on their bios interface that didn't make much sense (reduced usability) and they seemed to become unreliable like they switched to a bargain brand for many key components.
Yep, I too have the same observations about Asus. They were great in the C2duo days, but now it's fairly unreliable compared to their "high end gamer" branding and price. I personally never had an Asus board die on me, but their graphics cards have horrible fans that die/become very noisy really fast, causing overheating issues. Nowadays I go for gigabyte. Decent quality for the price.

@Cugino83 very good point about the 2060 Super not doing 144fps! But can a 2080ti do it? I mean, is there anything it there that can do a constant 144fps at 1440p in SC?
I went for the 2060 Super cos it's good value/money for my work. 2080 would be better but too expensive for the little gain in rendering speed.
Btw, a 144hz monitor isn't just better when it's running at 144fps. It's easier on the eyes, no tearing in the picture so no vsync is necessary under 144fps. It's more future proof.

If you have the time and money to wait for the next gen video cards (supposedly Q2 next year), it might be worth the wait. Maybe those will do 144fps in SC easily lol

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Talking about peripherals, my little cousin now has my second t16000m so I am looking around at what to get. Also looking at gameglass gonna give that a try on my spare old android if that works.

FYI still on my old as the hills i7 3770k but have upgraded the ram from 16 to 24 and have a 1080ti in and SC is very playable at 1080p.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Talking about peripherals, my little cousin now has my second t16000m so I am looking around at what to get. Also looking at gameglass gonna give that a try on my spare old android if that works.

FYI still on my old as the hills i7 3770k but have upgraded the ram from 16 to 24 and have a 1080ti in and SC is very playable at 1080p.
How much are you looking to spend? Single stick, hotas, or dual stick?

Forgot your password?