Possible Hacker found within game.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Saw this post, which had a video clip of what the OP says is evidence of a person hacking. Make of it what you will, but it is interesting, and I asked the OP to post a link to the ticket submitted to CIG.

****EDIT****

The same post appeared on Reddit, after being "removed" from Spectrum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/jbjp0p View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/jbjp0p/i_actually_encountered_a_legitimate_cheater_on/

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
We've had accusations of cheating previously - for example a whole Org had supposedly built an 'All seeing eye' able to identify when a specific player/s entered the server and pinpoint their exact location to be able to conduct a continuing campaign of targeted harassment, around about patch 2.4/2.5...

As far as I am aware, if there was indeed a system/exploit created to do that, the devs have been able to build their way out of it. We've not heared anything about that particular Org since, so seems likely their advantage is gone.

Alpha is the perfect time for these exploits/cheats to be bought to light. The more cheaters reveal their hand now, the easier it is for Devs to remove that way of cheating from the game before it gets baked into the code. The only people Cheaters are cheating right now are themselves long term 🙂

The same has happened for Ganking/Griefing/Harassment etc. Previously there was no comeback on pad-ramming, they could just do it free reign. Now we have consequences - ship impounding, s10 turrets at major landing zones, and a whole prison loop to remove the naughtiest from circulation while still being a legit game play mechanic. The more the greifers revealed their hand, the more the game could evolve to counter them. The same will be true for cheaters.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Now what I am wondering is, do all cheater topics disappear like this?
Is this for marketing purposes?
Actually yes those post containing cheats, exploits etc. get deleted. (happend to me because i wanted to create awareness to a certain topic)

Usally with recommendation to make a report to the support.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
The sad nature of competitive games, cheaters are common. The issue is that there are so many different types of cheats out there, some are not easily noticeable. For example, third party aimbots seem to be pretty common in most shooters right now (including SC, generally around this helmet event, with a 3 tarantula build gladius), followed by people using lagswitch programs that make them seem almost invincible, then finally the cheats that alter the game itself, which are far less common. If it seems like someone is just too good, too accurate, and is making plays that seem highly questionable in SC, they could be cheating. If you can record the encounter, send it to CIG, they will ban the account. We had a player in Star Marine using multiple cheats and we got him banned/account revoked.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
I don't know why but I feel better in SC than other multiplayer games. War thunder as an example is a hoot in realistic play for aircraft but tank combat is impossible for me. I love all the details especially in SC. If I had to turn all that detail down to stick figures just to play at a competitive level I think I would rather just go to the garage and look for that Damn 10mm socket thats always missing!! :o7: Honestly I don't get the challenge of the cheat/hack. I have been rammed, shot at and blown up by many of those special nose miner kids out there and at its worse this incomplete,..may never be completed galaxy quest space rodeo is still the Bomb(minus the random 30k):drunk:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Here's my 2 cent...

Did it ever occur to this this person posting about hacker in the game using dev tools, that it might been a DEV messing around in the game, which they do a lot..

CHEERS! 🍻

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Here's my 2 cent...

Did it ever occur to this this person posting about hacker in the game using dev tools, that it might been a DEV messing around in the game, which they do a lot..

CHEERS! 🍻
Wouldn't that be some hilarious irony.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
I don't know why but I feel better in SC than other multiplayer games. War thunder as an example is a hoot in realistic play for aircraft but tank combat is impossible for me. I love all the details especially in SC. If I had to turn all that detail down to stick figures just to play at a competitive level I think I would rather just go to the garage and look for that Damn 10mm socket thats always missing!! :o7: Honestly I don't get the challenge of the cheat/hack. I have been rammed, shot at and blown up by many of those special nose miner kids out there and at its worse this incomplete,..may never be completed galaxy quest space rodeo is still the Bomb(minus the random 30k):drunk:
Yep I hear you, it's just pointless. Why cheat, exploit have everything...then sit around bored? That's why I don't cry about the current state of things, it has to start somewhere...it's the journey we take, not the destination. Enjoy it with all it's really fucking annoying bugs...haha

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
The sad nature of competitive games, cheaters are common. The issue is that there are so many different types of cheats out there, some are not easily noticeable. For example, third party aimbots seem to be pretty common in most shooters right now (including SC, generally around this helmet event, with a 3 tarantula build gladius), followed by people using lagswitch programs that make them seem almost invincible, then finally the cheats that alter the game itself, which are far less common. If it seems like someone is just too good, too accurate, and is making plays that seem highly questionable in SC, they could be cheating. If you can record the encounter, send it to CIG, they will ban the account. We had a player in Star Marine using multiple cheats and we got him banned/account revoked.
Good to know. For me personally in Australia, lag is murder...happy to do what I can to try counter it. but using aimbots and the like is simply pointless...may as well not play.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Actually yes those post containing cheats, exploits etc. get deleted. (happend to me because i wanted to create awareness to a certain topic)

Usally with recommendation to make a report to the support.
Yeah I asked him to post the ticket..oh well.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
We've had accusations of cheating previously - for example a whole Org had supposedly built an 'All seeing eye' able to identify when a specific player/s entered the server and pinpoint their exact location to be able to conduct a continuing campaign of targeted harassment, around about patch 2.4/2.5...

As far as I am aware, if there was indeed a system/exploit created to do that, the devs have been able to build their way out of it. We've not heared anything about that particular Org since, so seems likely their advantage is gone.

Alpha is the perfect time for these exploits/cheats to be bought to light. The more cheaters reveal their hand now, the easier it is for Devs to remove that way of cheating from the game before it gets baked into the code. The only people Cheaters are cheating right now are themselves long term 🙂

The same has happened for Ganking/Griefing/Harassment etc. Previously there was no comeback on pad-ramming, they could just do it free reign. Now we have consequences - ship impounding, s10 turrets at major landing zones, and a whole prison loop to remove the naughtiest from circulation while still being a legit game play mechanic. The more the greifers revealed their hand, the more the game could evolve to counter them. The same will be true for cheaters.
Hopefully CIG will spend some Chris Roberts Yacht Money into security, I imagine they are but just not openly talking about it....idiots if they did.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Now what I am wondering is, do all cheater topics disappear like this?
Is this for marketing purposes?
Maybe to keep the peace, maintain a non panicked state amongst the ship buying peons (us). If people could seriously exploit things in an alpha where some people have paid a lot of money to pledge for things, it would create a riot.

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
Reactions: Bambooza

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Something like this may still exist. Last night I was hunting down a bounty "Worst_Player_Ever" with $20k on his head.

Caught up to him at HUR-L1, got some fire into his face as he sped past me.. and he was gone. No explosion, no wreck, no marker, and within about a minute no longer on the server. I did not get a bounty, and unless one of the station guns got him, there was no one else around to do so either.

I would expect that if he logged, his ship would still be visible and probably his marker during the server grace period. Will have to test this out.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
that video looks pretty old... dont all security terminals now use the 'hacker cards'?
Looks old, but rewatched it. I noticed he had a marker for his ship that said it was parked on LZ-02 (As far as I know, pad ID has only been in since 3.11)

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Something like this may still exist. Last night I was hunting down a bounty "Worst_Player_Ever" with $20k on his head.

Caught up to him at HUR-L1, got some fire into his face as he sped past me.. and he was gone. No explosion, no wreck, no marker, and within about a minute no longer on the server. I did not get a bounty, and unless one of the station guns got him, there was no one else around to do so either.

I would expect that if he logged, his ship would still be visible and probably his marker during the server grace period. Will have to test this out.
Plot thickens, he seems to be getting a few more comments on the video now.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

I've had that a couple times now, from what I can tell if they eject the ship vanishes immediately. I had a guy say he ejected when I was like "You were winning where did you go?" in the F12.

Reactions: Patrick Spaceman

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
St
I've had that a couple times now, from what I can tell if they eject the ship vanishes immediately. I had a guy say he ejected when I was like "You were winning where did you go?" in the F12.
Strange server shenanigans. It's all the Vanduul masks....BEWARE SLEESTAK.

Reactions: GPcustoms
Forgot your password?