Posted another concept on the RSI forums.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/268914/concept-for-jump-assist-ship-variants

Transposed here:

Basis: Discovered jump points will have a maximum size of ship that can fit/traverse it. Potentially that isn't a hard and fast limit.

Idea: Give a select few military-focused ships (my first thoughts are Vanguard and Retaliator) and give them a modular fit giving them the ability to temporarily expand the maximum safe size of ship able to traverse a jump point.

Science/Lore: No concept.

Modules: I would see these as engine and jump drive system coupled with sensor or broadcast systems. Having them mounted would probably limit max thrust output and actively using them to "plow" open a jump point would use significant power/fuel.

Effect: I see two potential effects (potentially both being available through the use of different systems or even occurring simultaneously):

* The first being that the maximum size of ship able to safely traverse a jump point is increased. Perhaps this isn't in whole increments, necessitating multiple ships making runs to widen it enough and potentially to keep it there. I would see diminishing returns in how much multiple passes could expand it, but that larger ships being more capable would have a higher threshold than only smaller ships would.

* The second effect would be that the plow-ship is effectively carving a temporary rut through the jump point making it significantly easier for subsequent ships to follow the same path. I'd see the effect decay over time, but make it start off strong enough that for the first several minutes ships the same size or smaller will actively have to steer out of the groove to navigate themselves.

Potential Results: Implementing this would increase the ability of smaller groups to monetize the discovery of temporary jump points. If they are able to ferry ships to a discovered jump point, and guarantee save arrival on the other side away from potential pirates or customs agents it could net them a tidy profit. It also could be of use to sizable fleets trying to creep through enemy systems. I think there is a good chance that arriving unnoticed in a hostile system can mean the difference between getting out the other side in one piece or not. It could also be used for ganking or even outright griefing. I'd like to say that such groups would become known and avoided thus being a rapidly self-fixing issue, but there is a very real chance mechanics like this could be abused. Perhaps things like this can be avoided by info being displayed by your systems regarding how the jump point has been modified (e.g. the display telling you they location of the exit for a plowed path, or the altered maximum size of it along with the expected duration of the modifications.

Thoughts?

Feel free to leave comments on the RSI forums, or here.

Reactions: WarrenPeace

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
So much Yellow, needs more Black text.

Generally I think CIG is planning on using JP size to specifically limit ship sizes so that the challenge rating of Go-here-kill-this can be modulated (ie don't want some one easy street Javaline-ing all the high difficulty small craft only missions)

TheZekk

Space Marshal
Mar 23, 2015
RSI Handle
Zekk
I disagree with this concept for two reasons:

1) yellow text
2) not enough beer

Other than that I assume it is a solid concept, with well thought out points and reasoning. I assume this because I'm not able to actually read the thing.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
FERING SAID:
"
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/268914/concept-for-jump-assist-ship-variants

Transposed here:

Basis: Discovered jump points will have a maximum size of ship that can fit/traverse it. Potentially that isn't a hard and fast limit.

Idea: Give a select few military-focused ships (my first thoughts are Vanguard and Retaliator) and give them a modular fit giving them the ability to temporarily expand the maximum safe size of ship able to traverse a jump point.

Science/Lore: No concept.

Modules: I would see these as engine and jump drive system coupled with sensor or broadcast systems. Having them mounted would probably limit max thrust output and actively using them to "plow" open a jump point would use significant power/fuel.

Effect: I see two potential effects (potentially both being available through the use of different systems or even occurring simultaneously):

* The first being that the maximum size of ship able to safely traverse a jump point is increased. Perhaps this isn't in whole increments, necessitating multiple ships making runs to widen it enough and potentially to keep it there. I would see diminishing returns in how much multiple passes could expand it, but that larger ships being more capable would have a higher threshold than only smaller ships would.

* The second effect would be that the plow-ship is effectively carving a temporary rut through the jump point making it significantly easier for subsequent ships to follow the same path. I'd see the effect decay over time, but make it start off strong enough that for the first several minutes ships the same size or smaller will actively have to steer out of the groove to navigate themselves.

Potential Results: Implementing this would increase the ability of smaller groups to monetize the discovery of temporary jump points. If they are able to ferry ships to a discovered jump point, and guarantee save arrival on the other side away from potential pirates or customs agents it could net them a tidy profit. It also could be of use to sizable fleets trying to creep through enemy systems. I think there is a good chance that arriving unnoticed in a hostile system can mean the difference between getting out the other side in one piece or not. It could also be used for ganking or even outright griefing. I'd like to say that such groups would become known and avoided thus being a rapidly self-fixing issue, but there is a very real chance mechanics like this could be abused. Perhaps things like this can be avoided by info being displayed by your systems regarding how the jump point has been modified (e.g. the display telling you they location of the exit for a plowed path, or the altered maximum size of it along with the expected duration of the modifications.

Thoughts?

Feel free to leave comments on the RSI forums, or here. "

You're welcome
(i'm not gonna read it though.. I'm so lazy right now :P)

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Interestingly enough, when you have yellow text on a dark grey, almost black forum, it's pretty easy to read. #darkstylz

Also, the idea is good too I guess.

Forgot your password?