Quest 2 has arrived!

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
My son plays with he oculus all the time. He loves Pavlov... anyway, I hope you have fun but I'll wait for the tech to be ready for prime time, which will be soon, and we need people buying the tech at early stages... thanks. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Are you going to caught up in Facebook's Oculus log in policy?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
So thats where the test donations have been going! Tut tut! :D

But then I suppose for the glory of test our supreme leader deserves the best equipment!!!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Are you going to caught up in Facebook's Oculus log in policy?
Its already in place. You need to log in with facebook to get the oculus app running with all new purchases of the Quest.

I logged into facebook for the first time in about a decade!

In the Quest settings its automatically set to privacy mode so that your info is not shown anywhere while in VR.

I hope the guys spying on me at Facebook HQ enjoy the show!

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Its already in place. You need to log in with facebook to get the oculus app running with all new purchases of the Quest.

I logged into facebook for the first time in about a decade!

In the Quest settings its automatically set to privacy mode so that your info is not shown anywhere while in VR.

I hope the guys spying on me at Facebook HQ enjoy the show!
Imagine if Zuckerberg joined TEST....plonk a crash test dummy marker sticker on his forehead and he's already in uniform.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Mine should be arriving today.

Personally think we are still in the infancy of VR and it's prime time has yet to come, but at $300 for a VR device that is both mobile and can be used as a PCVR .... I'm all in.
Plan on playing some GTA V, Elite Dangerous, and Star Wars Squadrons with it ASAP.

Reactions: 188Octane

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Mine should be arriving today.

Personally think we are still in the infancy of VR and it's prime time has yet to come, but at $300 for a VR device that is both mobile and can be used as a PCVR .... I'm all in.
Plan on playing some GTA V, Elite Dangerous, and Star Wars Squadrons with it ASAP.
I would have thought this kind of device was 2yrs away, the fact that it is here now is incredible.

We are one generation away from where I feel VR needs to be, which is this:

- Small form factor (ski goggle size, almost there)
- Instant power on (we are there)
- Connects wirelessly to your PC for PCVR gaming (we are there if using VR desktop, but native app probably in the works. the XR2 chip is capable of wifi6)
- Bigger FOV (this is my biggest gripe, it needs a bigger screen so you dont feel like you are wearing goggles)
- 2x 8k screens (needs a next gen chip to power those at 90fps)

The next gen Quest 3 will probably tick off a lot more of those boxes.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
Id highly recommend the premium head strap. It's far more comfortable and allows for better overall fit. It's 49$ or so, USD.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Im waiting for the Halo strap China knockoffs to arrive.

I have it on the Quest 1, it removes the pressure from your face completely.
Same. I suspect the 3rd party accessories will ultimately be better and at a cheaper price point.

I'm kind of second guessing my decision to get just the 64gb version, even though I plan to use it mainly as a cheap PCVR. But I have good internet speeds so if games start getting massive, I suppose I can just re-download games I plan to play.

As you said ... next generation might be a worthy upgrade anyways so I probably can get by with the 64.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
Im waiting for the Halo strap China knockoffs to arrive.

I have it on the Quest 1, it removes the pressure from your face completely.
Yeah let us know how that works. I was waiting for the official one but the premium is fantastic. Ill probably pass on the halo unless it's just super fantastic.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm kind of second guessing my decision to get just the 64gb version
My 64gb Quest 1 is filled with games and I still have 10gb free.

Most of the games I dont even play, like Vader 1 and 2.

BUT!

Now that VR is a bit more mainstream, I think we start seeing more AAA games make their way to the ecosystem. So while 64bg will be enough for now, but not the next gen device.

Reactions: Harkonan

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
If you haven't already... get on Half Life:Alyx, it's the most impressive purpose built VR game there is. It really does live up to the hype, imo:like:

Reactions: Montoya

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
By the time Star Citizen launches, the PC will be dead and we will be playing entirely in our heads with VR spinal taps that route images directly to our frontal cortex.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
By the time Star Citizen launches, the PC will be dead and we will be playing entirely in our heads with VR spinal taps that route images directly to our frontal cortex.
Superpowered phone to boot - not PCs! PCs will be obsolete eventually, despite CR wanting to make us buy the best hardware on the market (Its not 1999), soon, in the next 20 years, the gpu will only be used for industrial processing/super computers, assuming something better does not come along.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?