Review: Wednesday (Addams) SPOILER FREE.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Not going to spoil it, but here are my thoughts on the new Wednesday (Addams) series on Netflix.

If you were a fan of the Christina Ricci portrayal of Wednesday, I think you will enjoy this. I would say it is suitable for 12+, but some of the images will be frightening to some children. If your kids have nightmares about monsters, DO NOT LET THEM WATCH THIS UNLESS YOU LIKE CLEANING UP SOAKED BEDSHEETS LATE AT NGIHT. I would not let my 12 year old nephew watch this for instance, as I have no doubt he would have nightmares for a month afterwards.

Just remember, this is a series from the twisted mind of Tim Burton. It is not a Harry Potter film. So while the show has some lighter moments supplied by Emma Myers that will have you cringing in memory of your younger selves, much of it is as dark as the scariest of moments in Harry Potter. The really scary scenes this series has are probably on par with the Witcher and Carrie (the movie) in terms of how frightening/bloody it can be.

The real standouts of the old characters were Jenna Ortega (great portrayal of Wednesday) and Fred Armisen as Uncle Fester. I think both did great jobs, and they had real on-screen chemistry as the favorite uncle/favorite niece. There is a single scene where the character Wednesday smiles a real smile and it does not creep me out. That is a scene with Uncle Fester.

I think for Morticia, they tried to get somewhere between Carolyn Jones and Angelica Huston, but failed to achieve it in any way. Their backstory for Morticia did not hold up during one of the reveals (if I said anything more, it would venture into spoilers). However, Catherine Zeta-Jones tried and I think she got more out of the role than others might have.

On the other hand, Gomez was a complete miss. Sorry, but Luis Guzman did not have the charm or the flair of John Astin or Raul Julia. He came across as dour and flat. According to Charles Addams (the creator), Gomez is "Husband to Morticia (if indeed they are married at all) ... a crafty schemer, but also a jolly man in his own way ... though sometimes misguided ... sentimental and often puckish — optimistic, he is in full enthusiasm for his dreadful plots ... is sometimes seen in a rather formal dressing gown" He may have been closer to the part in terms of looks, but completely missed the personality.

I think the problem with Morticia and Gomez is that the writers didn't know how to handle them properly in this setting.

Pugsley is as he always is a forgettable character. More of a plot device than a member of the cast. Honestly, Thing has more personality than Pugsley...and always has. Always willing to lend a hand.

Danny Elfman did a fantastic job scoring the music. I wish they had made more use of Wednesday's Cello work, but they had some great adaptions of songs. My favorite episode for the soundtrack alone, was episode 3.

Overall, the story was well put together, has a lot of twists, and has you second guessing yourself as to what is what as the series progresses. Highly recommended

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
i gave it a shot, but it seems more like some off episode of a live action monster high. i couldn't stand it, bailed.

Reactions: GPcustoms

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
i gave it a shot, but it seems more like some off episode of a live action monster high. i couldn't stand it, bailed.
It’s not for everyone, and as the title suggests, it does focus on Wednesday, not the Addams family as a whole. As a result, is is more “teen” than ”grown-up”

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
After a few drinks this evening I think the Mrs. and I will give it a look. Thanks :like:

Reactions: Thugari
Forgot your password?