Ship advice

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I always had my flightstick on my desk, until I bought the Warthog. It is too high to put in on your desk, so I became creative, asked my father to make me some mounts. That was the beginning. After the flightstick/throttle came the rudder pedals, no good with a turning chair, so I made my chair fixed. Only thing missing now is a couple of MFD
I never thought of the turning chair aspect. I better get onto making this thing solid. Thanks Marc.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I forgot to mention on the hornets, if you want a big ballistic cannon or top unmanned turret, you have to remove the long look radar so if long range radar will never be a use to you, a Tracker may not be for you. I figure it'll be a good item to have in stock though. Lighter colored ships seem to stand out like a sore thumb in battle too. That's another thing to consider.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Power Grids are custom tiles that allow you to perform specific actions from touching a menu on your phone or tablet, and have those actions occur within your game. The one I'm using allows me to quickly tap my phone's screen and change my ship's shield strength and balancing, as well as the same actions for weapons and engines. You can balance power, divert power where needed. Handy in a fight.

http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Software/Power-Grid/Home/
Now that's some cool stuff right there.

Rolo

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 22, 2016
RSI Handle
RoloKipp
I forgot to mention on the hornets, if you want a big ballistic cannon or top unmanned turret, you have to remove the long look radar so if long range radar will never be a use to you, a Tracker may not be for you. I figure it'll be a good item to have in stock though. Lighter colored ships seem to stand out like a sore thumb in battle too. That's another thing to consider.
You nailed the biggest advantage of the Tracker right now - fuel. Every time you need to stop for gas you are potentially losing credits and opportunities. This will become more and more of a factor as Stanton builds out.

So there *is* a reason for variants like the Tracker and the 315p. But it's not yet a *compelling* reason.

Plan for the *now* or plan for the *future*.
Or, like some of us Ship of Fools, do both :-D

Rolo

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 22, 2016
RSI Handle
RoloKipp
What is ROCCAT? I'm intrigued.

Keyboard and mouse is perfectly viable for SC. I simple prefer the immersion of a HOTAS.
If ya notice the nexus 7 tablet between my monitors, that's set up for shield management with Roccat power grid. Though I keep meaning to add the emote tab Baior has been using... soooo much handier to tap a salute (rude or otherwise) than click into chat and type it out...

edit: I actually want a few more little tablets and build a frame to hold them... a poorman's sim-pit :-P

Last edited:

Strykker666

Commander
Jul 7, 2016
RSI Handle
Strykker666
My
If ya notice the nexus 7 tablet between my monitors, that's set up for shield management with Roccat power grid. Though I keep meaning to add the emote tab Baior has been using... soooo much handier to tap a salute (rude or otherwise) than click into chat and type it out...

edit: I actually want a few more little tablets and build a frame to hold them... a poorman's sim-pit :p
My only issue right now with Power-Grid, is that whenever I tap my screen, I get multiple things happening that shouldn't. Like when I tap to balance shields, my view changes as well. Or omni opens. Kind of annoying. Need to figure out what's going on.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You nailed the biggest advantage of the Tracker right now - fuel.
I was thinking that too. He's the first person to note the positive result of greater range, and this comes to the issue when choosing the Reliant. I am disappointed they took the beds out and are speaking of it specifically as a "short range" bird. I hate that they nerfed it so, but I have to wonder whether one can take out one of the Tana's missile racks and add some tankage. The fuel tanks appear to be right next to the missile rack and 5 missiles is probably enough for me.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I forgot to mention on the hornets, if you want a big ballistic cannon or top unmanned turret, you have to remove the long look radar. . .
That's fine with me. With 4 big, fast guns, be they the Hornet's Sledges or Badgers, or the Sabre's 4 Panthers or Broadswords; I think you can probably kill stuff fast enough. The question in my mind concerns the function of stealth and radar. If the Long Look will actually allow you to target at distances from 4-7 km, then it's worth flying Sledges. If you can't hit stuff out there, then what is the point of the radar?

It might be that eventually, comrades can cross-link radar and spot for one another, so a stealthy or defensive flying ship can get in close (say 2 km) and light up a target that is then hit hard from afar by others at 6 km. That would make the Lancer Mis, Andromeda and anything wearing long range ballistics really effective, but I have not heard such stuff yet. (BTW, the biggest advance in the only "fifth generation" fighter--the F-35 Lightning II--is they can so link their radar. They actually create a "synthetic aperture" with the distance between any two fighters tracking the same target. That is amazing)

Most pilots don't seem to know what targets appear at what distances even flying the same ship each day. There ought to be a difference between a pirate flying a very hot Buck, and a player flying a Ghost, or Sabre, or 3I5P. And yeah this will all change every time someone changes out an engine, but for now it would be great to know if you can lock standard targets like pirate Bucks at 5 km, and whether one can actually hit them with a Sledge.

To be honest, the Panther hits so hard compared to the Broadsword that the choice is easier for me to take the laser and more limited distance. For the Hornet though, the Sledges really appeal. I saw vid of a Hornet flying 4 Sledges and the guy was cutting his opponents to shreds with them. If you can fly the armor, engines and reactor of a Ghost, the radar of a Tracker and actually hit opponents at 4-7 km with the Sledges, that would just be a devastating combo.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
All we can do is guess as to the future but Yes, they have possibilities.
You can definitely switch parts though. I did at least until they disappeared.
I have the "big box" in stock as well from the standard hornet. All things can be useful in the end.
It seems to be a pretty unique opportunity regarding a ship's line and series.
Most of the parts are available outside the series and don't require getting another ship.
I have yet to figure out how to fire my spark missles though.
I don't even usually fire until 1.5 km or so on the 117s and 227s.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
What is ROCCAT? I'm intrigued.
Power Grids are custom tiles that allow you to perform specific actions from touching a menu on your phone or tablet, and have those actions occur within your game. The one I'm using allows me to quickly tap my phone's screen and change my ship's shield strength and balancing, as well as the same actions for weapons and engines. You can balance power, divert power where needed. Handy in a fight.

You can see it as a touch screen MFD:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsHLPiNNmvA

I think I'm gonna try that one, downloaded and installed it already. Works maybe better for me then VoiceAttack. Only con is that I must get my HandsOffThrottle. That could be an issue during fast dogfight.

Reactions: Rolo and Blind Owl

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Now that's some cool stuff right there.
I heard off it for the first time a few weeks ago,didn't ring a bell, now @Strykker666 mentioned it again so I checked it out, skipped allot of the Youtube vid to see the important parts and downloaded it.
In time, I arrived at 14:45 at home, undressed my asphalt protection, read the post, watched the vid and had it installed at 15:10 at which time I really had to hurry to get the kids from school.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
It's sporty. I used to ride a Virago. "Asphalt protection" for that is generally a pair of jeans and sturdy shoes. Some of the go fast guys wear armor these days.
Naaaah, armor is for knights, my asphalt protection is a little bit more then jeans, abrasion-resistant 500D Cordura, but it surely won't stop any rain or air.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Sweet. Thanks for this. I may check it out.

If you can fly the armor, engines and reactor of a Ghost, the radar of a Tracker and actually hit opponents at 4-7 km with the Sledges, that would just be a devastating combo
I was never a fan of the hornet before...
But I played with her for so long the other night, I think she may be growing on me. I love the versatility that comes with adding and removing turrets, etc. I kept switching loadouts, and loved so many of them.
That's not something I feel when playing my Sabre. Dammit. Now I'll have to play it some more. All of them. Sabre, Hornet...
And everything else. Haha.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Ha Ha.
I just finished a round of Vanduul Storm with a guy in a Mustang on my side. he had some nice guns and some skills.
I have a new respect for Mustangs.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Ha Ha.
I just finished a round of Vanduul Storm with a guy in a Mustang on my side. he had some nice guns and some skills.
I have a new respect for Mustangs.
The Delta was my 2nd fighter. It even got better when I discovered that I could replace the 2 rocket pods with 2 CF117 :DThe shield was crapy so evasion was its main defence. Since 2.4 they fixed the shields and removed the option to replace the rocket pods :(

Forgot your password?