Should StarCitizen now launch only with a star system?

Max Caliber

Commander
Nov 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Max Caliber
If only one planet can contain the entire current community, why not focus on it?
This would concentrate more content, and gradually open new adjoining systems ...
I've thought a very similar thing. Personally I think once they flesh out ArcCorp and Microtech, they should focus all other efforts on making the game persistent. There is so much freaking area to explore with the moons and planets and stations. populate those with more interactive NPC's and missions and there are hours and hours of gamplay. Then introduce new systems as updates every month or something like that.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I have no idea what the eventual plan is.

I'm not sure if they even plan to "launch" in the traditional manner... we've already got 2 million players waiting for something to play, really once enough of the game is in for them to play they should come and play whether it's launched or not... once persistance and the mechanics are in perhaps the devs will just let it run and run like a huge ship being launched into the water and sailing.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You understand though, this is the same argument about putting people on or off more ships, etc. Reducing the requirements for the environments people does not speed up development. The mechanics of gameplay have to be developed regardless. All you could save by not building ships or environments is money in the short term, and that would come bite you on the ass very quickly when players complained that CIG had not delivered the huge big experience they claimed they would.

Better to wait.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
I get what your saying and i know alot will agree
.They arent going to change their current format and tbh im glad, the way the game has progressed i think locking that down to a single planet would be going backwards. Yes the Verse needs more content but the roadmap shows that its coming, yes its going to take a long time to fill it all up. Im enjoying the ride, i love waiting for each new addition or innovation. No other game has made me look forward to the future more.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
If only one planet can contain the entire current community, why not focus on it?
This would concentrate more content, and gradually open new adjoining systems ...
No due to the fact that alot has to be implemented yet. If they started work on a launch tomorrow we would have very limited places things to do, much like what we currently see. There is content in game sure but there is so much more coming to make the game better, having an actual launch right now would probably hurt the game more than anything as a lot would join only to find there isn't a whole lot to do

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
yeah, if they bring on server meshing, imagine trying to stuff 2 million people into that one system, it would be nuts. You think newbie areas in current MMOs are packed at lunch, this would verge on nuts level.

Reactions: Scape and Bambooza

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'm sorry to say but this is not a planet sim this is a Space sim you need to have lots of places to go. You could spend your whole life on one planet but this is why CIG invented their procedual tools to reuse assets and create these planets very quickly. You also need to remember they are trying their best not to ruin SQ42 which is why i think we are not seeing alot of these planets. after SQ42 and they release the assets to the Public univierse i think we are going to have a much better idea of whats actually in the game. It's obvious they are hiding things that are completed already(This includes ships).

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
i suspect you are asking this question to troll us
so, like the responsible citizen i am, i refuse to...
ah, who am i kidding, this is TEST :p
I don't think launching with one planet, or even just one system, was ever in the cards, nor do i think they will ever change their plan to that
CR is waaaaay too stubborn lol
now, just because something is large enough to fit an entire community, doesnt mean that making the entire community stay there is a good idea. In fact, it seems like it'd fly in the face of everything star citizen is supposed to be.
also, like, it be really weird to have all the kinds of environments they want shoved onto and around one single planet
like, there'd be a hell of a lot of technobabble handwaving required xD

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Alert, alert, potential troll level high!!!

That said, hell no. The problem is that you still need to put in all the mechanics and test them out. That means a minimum of at least 2-3 systems so you can test out jump point mechanics. Plus everything else that needs to be added.

If CR released right now, a large number of people would be very upset, and there may be some contractual issues with some of the stretch goals from the Kickstarter. I am not sure you can just drop those with impunity.

SC is too big for one system. Really, they are too big for 5 systems. I think a minimum of 10, and even then you will probably need to move to individual shards to make seem right.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
i suspect you are asking this question to troll us
so, like the responsible citizen i am, i refuse to...
ah, who am i kidding, this is TEST :p
I don't think launching with one planet, or even just one system, was ever in the cards, nor do i think they will ever change their plan to that
CR is waaaaay too stubborn lol
now, just because something is large enough to fit an entire community, doesnt mean that making the entire community stay there is a good idea. In fact, it seems like it'd fly in the face of everything star citizen is supposed to be.
also, like, it be really weird to have all the kinds of environments they want shoved onto and around one single planet
like, there'd be a hell of a lot of technobabble handwaving required xD
Also the fact that the OP joined TEST today and this was their only post ever, not even a hello :O , makes me think the whole post is a troll post
He does have an attached account name attached to his profile so not sure if i would say hes a troll just maybe tired of waiting for the game to release
I don't think it was a troll.

If it was, it was the equivalent of throwing a snowball into a freezer. TEST is too chill for a drive-by "grenade" topic post to work, you need somewhere like Spectrum General Section for a tactic like that to work because it's already got a bunch of dissatisfieds bubbling.

If the OP never returns there is a faint possibility it may have been a post by someone/a group attempting to gauge the general temperature of the community and every response on this thread is being analysed, perhaps probing on where to prod the community to make a section of it heat-up vocally for whatever reason, usually to make it look bad: Remember when He Who Must Not Be Given Attention riled TEST and then twisted the members own words from a thread round, and used them as a tool against those he himself had provoked? Be careful when pontificating, you never know what the originators agenda is.

That said, not everyone can be on the forum all day long like I could be if I quit my job, hopefully the original poster will be back and we can continue the conversation with them 🙂

For more on types of troll, please see the following Public Service Announcement:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sraika

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
its only fun trolling if people get upset, and it’s hardly an inflammatory topic.

A more relevant question is when do we get to do pirate stuff, and will you all have a legitimate pretext as to why you pirate?

Reactions: Sraika and Scape

Rao

Lieutenant
Mar 18, 2019
RSI Handle
reyrao
Also the fact that the OP joined TEST today and this was their only post ever, not even a hello :O , makes me think the whole post is a troll post
Im not trollying. I just post a question i have in mind.
I recently joined the forums for the Montoya's Giveawey
And I respect all opinions and points of view. In fact, after reading the post of ShadowReaper, I agree with him.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wP2o_p0eOE

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?