Soooo new July sub rewards are useless paints ?!!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I had some 100 series ships but CCU'd them ages ago.

I only sub for the flair as and when I like it, and don't feel like paying another fifty bucks to use an asset I'd be paying ten bucks for in the first place...

...when your not included, your excluded, so I'm out this month.

If it was a universal paint I could use on any of my ships it might have got my attention, hint hint CIG hint hint ;-)

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
What a totally useless choice of sub flair, if you do not obviously own the ship...
I disagree...I *own* the ship, and even I find it totally useless, LUL

I don't like most of the recent paints they have offered for sale. The color choices are just "meh" to me.

Because some of the recent sub flair was so good, this seems even worse, by comparison...once again, I wonder, do I re-sub? Hopefully next month's flair will be better. I'd ask, "How could it possibly be worse?" but, omg, have I seen things get worse!

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Personally I love the look of the first one for my own ship but I dont subscribe. I dont think its the worst idea paints, are being sold already.
I was not judging the "quality" (erm yuuuuk^^) of the paints here ^^ but only the fact that those flairs are only usable by 100 series owners, thus my raging post hehe. Paints should stick to pledge store, because they are very specific to a ship, and not "universal", when weapons, armors, decorations (...) are universal flairs. Even if you dont like an universal flair you can still use it :) Not my case here with those paints, I am not able to use them, no 100 series in game or in hangar (and no wish to get any).

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
This is why it is important to read the Jump Point magazine in the vault, you can see what is coming and cancel just in time!
You are right ! But that wont be the case for everyone (if they do not have access to JP).

Last time I was subscribed was in May ;) So I did not have access to June JP. I am not a regular sub each month.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I subscribed last month to get the outfits, but for some reason my bank or whatever delayed it until the day after they'd give out those. So instead of receiving a pair of $11 outfits that I thought were interesting, I received a pair of ship $5 paints that have no appeal to me even though I have the ships they're for. I even messaged Concierge services about the issue last month, but they said I was out of luck due to the delay. Clearly I'm not a happy camper about these events, but so be it. I'll just be less enthusiastic to subscribe the next time I see something I like & not subscribe unless the benefit makes it worth my funds. *sighs*

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
TBH, I only stayed subscribed for the flair and the coupons and "having our name put in the game" somewhere however many times.
I have the ships for that flair paint and I STILL don't want them, I'd want tangible stuff (in-game). Like they've been doing for years... makes no sense.

Edit: Wonder if not doing a new object(s) this month is about limiting new asset creation or something. Paint skin I bet has a much lower data/processing footprint than say a new physicalized item???

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
TBH, I only stayed subscribed for the flair and the coupons and "having our name put in the game" somewhere however many times.
I have the ships for that flair paint and I STILL don't want them, I'd want tangible stuff (in-game). Like they've been doing for years... makes no sense.

Edit: Wonder if not doing a new object(s) this month is about limiting new asset creation or something. Paint skin I bet has a much lower data/processing footprint than say a new physicalized item???
Even if it was less resources, usually the sub skins for armor or weapons are just recolors of stuff already or coming into the game in the near future, so even if it is a new item, them changing the color still isn't much of an investment I would believe.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thinking about it this could potentially be market research to see how many people sub for the flair toys and how many sub for the info details. If so, there is an easier, cheaper and more effective way of finding that out: Asking.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Useless? Considering hardly nobody bought a 100 series ship.........YEP!
I actually really like my 100 series little runabouts, as long as I'm just putzing around goofing off. I've even picked up several of the various paints for them that I do like, but these paint schemes ... no thanks. I'd much rather have a flat matte black with 24k gold accents & inlay to help it feel more expensive while I TESTify my goofing off in the little ship.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I'm on a recurring cause I like the sub stuffs and don't mind the money. But if I had paid attention I would have cancelled this month just because the flair is lazy. If they do another paint I'll probably cancel cause I don't want it to head in that direction. But I'll eventually buy a 100i in game just to have as a tiny roundabout and the sand one looks pretty nice. I'll be giving away the 90s trapper keeper though.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
No thanks CIG, I won’t spend either real or in-game money to make use of this subscriber perk. These ships are not on my wish list just now.
because they are very specific to a ship, and not "universal"
I understand why paints are ship-specific from a game development point of view, but from an in-universe perspective it’s bizarre. If you look at them in an in-game terminal, the icons look like a tin of paint. But it must be magic paint, because it knows what ship it’s meant for, and won’t stick to any other ship.

Would it not make more sense in-game to have every paint scheme work on every ship? (Yes, obvs, that requires considerable extra development effort, but really, is it that big a deal?).

Fancier paint schemes or ‘exotic’ paints (metallic, iridescent etc.) could be more expensive, perhaps in a tier system or with a cost multiplier of 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 25x or whatever. Why not change how paints work so CIG/in-game shops charge players a cost proportional to the physical size of the ship they want to apply it to, times the multiplier of the paint scheme they want applied, each time they change paint. This game obviously cannot be totally realistic because, you know, physics and interplanetar/interstellar travel in minutes and stuff, and countless other perfectly fine bits of fiction. It’s only a game. But CIG go to extraordinary lengths in other areas to make Star Citizen feel realistic according to its own internal logic. Paint for ships has never really caught my attention much*, but the way paint schemes work at the moment is frikkin’ weird.

* They might if go-faster stripes actually did make you go 0.001% faster, or painting your ship yellow and black with crash test roundels made it take 1% less damage when crashing into stuff, or gave you a Euro NCAP rating every time you did crash.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?