Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
From recent ISC

Edit: I am referencing the old material they posted here below:

This is the biggest update we have seen on the repair and maintenance game loop.

I am actually a little overwhelmed with the depth of this mechanic, it goes way beyond simply pointing a laser and it fixes things.

All these compounds, ratios, peak efficiencies. Its definitely borrowing from the mining mechanic a bit, but a lot more intricacies.

1617468909561.png

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Yep, it will be way way more deep and complex compared to mining, player going for this kind of gameplay should expect a looong learning curve...
I'm fine with that. the value of miner will be knowing the right spot where to mine and the developed "touch" of knowing where to retrive a rock or not, for reparier(?) since the kob came to them, will be the knowlage and the skill to mix the component and handle the repair arm.

I think this whole prewied refer to the "full repair" job, the more "patchwoork" one you'll be able to do "in the fileld" with either the multitool or the dedicated salvage tool will be more straight forward, like point and shoot... with of course far lower reliability and resitence.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you, Glorious Leader!

This is almost going to be as complicated as keeping my car on the road. Did I mention I had to scrap my last two cars because they became unroadworthy? I've only ever had three cars...

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
It seems trivial when you can simply get a new ship claimed from insurance, but I guess once you are 9hrs away from any civilization, you better have a good repair guy with you!

Reactions: Vavrik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It seems trivial when you can simply get a new ship claimed from insurance, but I guess once you are 9hrs away from any civilization, you better have a good repair guy with you!
Either that, or not having access to the ship, and it's components where you're at when asking for a claim! If it's a more fringe world, insurance might not be available to deliver your ship there, or it might take very very long, like multiple days in real time. Alhtough location related to claim delivery times was not mentioned originally I think.
CIG did mention though, that something like every ship being claimed and delivered by insurance will be built in the games economy system, so not every kind of ship might be available for claiming. There could be a waiting period measured in days irl.
So if you have something big or rare/less manufactured, it might be way faster to just get it repaired. It would add some value to pricier ships and also to the repair role.

Also, pirate gameplay! Rats need to repair their ships waay more often, cos insurance won't be available so openly to them! Well, at least that was the original planned back a couple years ago...

I am kinda very disappointed that they are only beginning actual work now. Such a cool mechanic, still years away to be complete with any depth

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

I am kinda very disappointed that they are only beginning actual work now. Such a cool mechanic, still years away to be complete with any depth
True, but since this mechanics have a lot in common with other (like mining) I think CIG pospone all the actual programming work as fas as they need to have all hte ground mechanics in place like UI building block, refinery, personal inventory, mining etc...
For once CIG has dome the right thing: flash out the tool with ONE gameplay and then extend those tool for other implementation.
Like refuel mechanics: now that the docking system is in place (sorth of...) and they've flash out how to do it, they can now start to work on the refuel mechanics that will use both the docking interface "tool" and the "unstable" material form minig...

The Glorious Leader does not Necro! He Resserects!
And the tird day Montaya say's "Here the new info on the rapair jobs"... and all the TESTies come to see it.

Just in (glorius) time for Easter...

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I love the potential depth here. I only hope that they do indeed maintain an "EZ Mode" that will produce a patch that does the JOB (Just shittily) I also hope they leave room and opportunity for players to OVERengineer their repairs to create Custom components\capabilities. (Like coming up with a combo of altered sub-components that will jack up the effectiveness of shields or material mixtures that improve the hardness of your armor alloy)

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I only hope that they do indeed maintain an "EZ Mode" that will produce a patch that does the JOB (Just shittily)
I have lots of questions about that aspect of the planned implimentation.

What does "patch job" mean?

Does that mean it degrades fast and breaks again? Does it mean its weaker if it gets hit again?

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe

Does that mean it degrades fast and breaks again? Does it mean its weaker if it gets hit again?
A patch job would be considered a "quick fix" something to get you by until you can get it repaired properly. It is something temporary and of lower quality/durability than the surrounding material or original material.

A patch job for a broken fanbelt used to be to use pantyhose as a temporary fix until you could get it someplace where you could replace the fanbelt properly. After which, you would drive to a nice restaurant and appease the lady that supplied the pantyhose. All told, keeping an extra fanbelt in the car was a MUCH cheaper alternative.

A good analogy was when Apollo 17 had a damaged fender on the lunar rover, they repaired it with 4 maps, duct tape and two clamps from the optical telescope. It worked at the moment.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

In the last CAD video they mentioned that the patch work done with the multitool will be "not as durable" as a full repair... so yes, they'll be less effectively and damage-resitant thena proper repair, but will keep your ship togheter untill you'll be able to afford a proper repair.

Also for "patch work" here an explanatory video clip:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPWRoKHlBs

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy

I beleive that the Patch function with the "magic fix-it beam" will only come into play when patching holes in the outer hull. By the sounds of it, they are just going to use the Damage shader we have in-game already to remove\replace material. I have a feeling it will be a standard item in everyone's emergency Oh-Shit-kit under their pilot's seat or whatever. Good enough to hold O2, but provides zero armor protection (Maybe even small arms could pierce it). I could see someone crashing their ship and getting their hull all torn up in the middle of nowhere on maybe an environmentally hazardous planet. Enter: Magic fix-it beam to seal the cabin and create a small box of livable air to wait for the rescue ship in. That would be quite a realistic "Crash gameplay loop" to implement using tech they're already planning to roll out. Who knows, really. We shall have to wait and see...

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
In the last CAD video they mentioned that the patch work done with the multitool will be "not as durable" as a full repair... so yes, they'll be less effectively and damage-resitant thena proper repair, but will keep your ship togheter untill you'll be able to afford a proper repair.

Also for "patch work" here an explanatory video clip:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPWRoKHlBs
So just a standard Drake ship.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I beleive that the Patch function with the "magic fix-it beam" will only come into play when patching holes in the outer hull. By the sounds of it, they are just going to use the Damage shader we have in-game already to remove\replace material. I have a feeling it will be a standard item in everyone's emergency Oh-Shit-kit under their pilot's seat or whatever. Good enough to hold O2, but provides zero armor protection (Maybe even small arms could pierce it). I could see someone crashing their ship and getting their hull all torn up in the middle of nowhere on maybe an environmentally hazardous planet. Enter: Magic fix-it beam to seal the cabin and create a small box of livable air to wait for the rescue ship in. That would be quite a realistic "Crash gameplay loop" to implement using tech they're already planning to roll out. Who knows, really. We shall have to wait and see...
I really like this! Not the wait and see part, the part before that.

Forgot your password?