Star Wars Squadrons - First impressions

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My impressions watching streamers on Twitch (I'm not buying it, I am not supporting EA in any way, shape, or form):
Looks like a modern update of the old classic X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, which I adore. Very arcade-y flight and combat model. Definitely a shooter. The story line is ok, but honestly, the older games did it better. I guess if you like the newer movies, you will like the story. A good thing they aren't charging $60 for this. As the saying goes: " If you are the kind of person who likes this kind of thing, this is the kind of thing you will like" lol

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
One small thing that should not be happening in a modern game, the cutscenes should not be better looking than the game.

In true Xwing fashion, the cutscenes looks great, then the ingame looks shitty comparatively.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
One small thing that should not be happening in a modern game, the cutscenes should not be better looking than the game.

In true Xwing fashion, the cutscenes looks great, then the ingame looks shitty comparatively.
The new Modern Warfare was great at this, those cutscenes were fantastic while the game itself looked like games of CoD past. I only got a couple of hours into this game so far but like what I have seen, but I do feel that if there is a lack of content it will die fast.

Open it up to more eras of the Star Wars universe, add more ships to play as in each class, and more game modes will keep this game alive for longer.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I was spoiled and had the SW vector graphics game on my PC as one of my first video games ever... along with a sesame street game on floppy disk.
I think I'll buy this one and have my son try it.
You can always introduce him to the genuine classics!

and of course

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you, Glorious Leader!

Video Starts:

*Tie Fighter in hyperspace*

"THEY FUKD UP THE LORE THER R NO HYPERDRIVE ON STENDRD TIE FEYETAH!"
YUNOOOOO.jpg

*10 seconds into the video and a weird small carrier appears and TIE's fall off it*

"Oh... That's okay then..."

So... yeah...

... I think I'm gonna hold for two months. I'm going to wait one month as I wanna see what monetization they slip in after the first wave of users have joined and they have a base to advertise to. Then I'm going to wait another month to see what paid-for content appears, if the whole game remains 'everything is earnable in game' or if that gets stretched a bit with DLC.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ6N-sb7SVQ

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Its ok so far, a fun star wars experience. Its clearly made for VR which is pretty apparant in the talky bits, but thats fine.
Im playing it VR-less on PC and am a bit bummed that TrackIR isnt supported. Freelook is also on a toggle so you are kinda stuck on quicklook.
I got it with Origin acces but am considering buying it on PS4 for the VR experience. Not sure there is enough in there to warrant a sale so far though, will play it a little more.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
For those on the fence about outright buying it, EA Play has it and that runs $15 a month, there is a cheaper option but the wording makes it unclear if you get full access.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
This looks soo much like the old X-wing game... the bulky trasport, the snowfalke-shapelike space station the sound of the TIE fight (but do I missed it or it lack the calassic shaaawsh of the TIE?)....
Don't own it yet, but I'll defenetly look to it for a buy as an offer came up!

EDIT: found it!!!
X-wing.jpg

Still have this old glory in my collection!!😊

LurchLord

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2016
RSI Handle
LurchLord
My impressions:
Needs a patch or 5 for stability and optimization
Plays better in VR
Plays better with a controller (as opposed to m&k)
Looks better in VR (never had that happen)
Random multiplayer is surprisingly fun (voice chat muted, so I don`t know how toxic randoms are yet)
Sound design is glorious and awesome
Player customization is disappointing (lack of face and hair customization)

In all, is fun, was worth the moneys.

Last edited:

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
just tried it in vr, was amazed. its a totally different game in vr

Reactions: Blind Owl

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
SQUADRONS GOT TIE WINDOWS WRONG!!!!! IT SUCKS!!!! EVERYTHING SUCKS!!!!! HOW DARE YOU ENJOY A GAME THAT IS WRONG!!!!!
(obvious and overblown sarcasm statement in case obvious and overblown sarcasm went over your head)

Forgot your password?