T16000M Zaxis going out - advice on 'fix' (aka spend $$$s) Jan 2021

JonSpencer

Grand Admiral
Aug 26, 2018
RSI Handle
jondspen1
Long time gamer (WoWp, Warthunder, Rebel Assault, etc) and when I got into Star Citizen 2.9ish, didn't realize I would be buying a new PC and controllers to boot! :) Currently, I have my i5, 16G Ram, upgraded recently to RX 580 from 1050ti and a dual thrustmaster setup with the right Z axis going out. I would love to get the Warthog, but hardware upgrade (i7 processor and 32Gb Ram) would be a better investment than an $800 flight system ATT. Also, I have a soldering iron and a Masters in CE, so seeking some advice on my best investment to get back flying. The right stick is going on 3 years with not much flight time, but seems one gets about 18 months of function out of the stick for around $144 on Amazon right now. So ballparking somewhere around of $100 per year of usage for a stick. Finally, I do use the base GlassPass on an old Stylo2, and will probably get the mining shard - so right stick is typical combat bindings 1-4 + hat and dont use buttons 5-16 at all on the right. So, here are some options that I have come up with...

1. ($10-20?) Order new potento and fix the right side, while dealing with sticky trigger buttons. Doable and cheap, but doesn't seem worth the headache.
2. ($144) Order a new single Thrustmaster and deal with this in another 18 months - pro is bindings stay same and no learning curve.
3. ($236) Order Dual Stick Thrust and have an extra when one breaks - same pros and a little cheaper.
4. ($300) Order the Thrust Hotus setup. TWCS looks cool, but afraid same POS components thats in the stick. I would have an extra stick, but now right side is HOTUS control and if it breaks in 2 years, the cost to replace standalone is.....
5. ($226) Order the TWCS Throtter Controller standalone - and move the working left stick to the right side (and wait for it to break). Seems pricey compared to the HOTUS combo package, so don't see it worth it alone.
6. ($250-400) Get another setup like Logitec or other, preferably with HOTUS? Problem is, don't have 1st hand exp and afraid to trade a known POS for an unknown POS.

If I knew the quality of the TWCS, I would like to get it - but with the history and reviews of the stick, I'm afraid it is of the same quality components, in which case I would buy the dual stick combo and have an extra if another Z goes out (plus no learning curve and keybinding setup). Essentially, I don't mind spending up to $400 on quality controls, but I know the quality and ROI of the Thrust stick and willing to stay if that is best bang for buck @ approximately $80 per year ($240 over two 18 month periods if each stick conforms to typical usage b4 issues).

Anyway...I welcome any input and advice. If you know of any other sticks with a good ROI, let me know what your thoughts are on their performance. Thanks!

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I would just buy a pot, cos I'm cheap.
Stick to what you already know that works for you, right?

I've read lots of different opinions on here about what to get for certain budgets and playstyles. You might wanna do a search and read some of them.
What I remember is: if you want to immersive travel/transport/mine and such, get a full throttle for secondary hand. If you want to fight a lot efficiently, get dual sticks.

The Logitech sidewinder 3d gamer pro whatever it's called these days, is Trash. Don't. The Saiteks (now Logitech) have their fanbase, but not everyone likes em.
Good quality sticks are the t16000, then comes at higher quality and price the VKB sticks, then Virpil. Warthogs have even higher price and quality but are heavy for long dogfighting, and the lack of twist is annoying. Ofc, YMMV.

Personally I went with the VKB Gladiator NXT for single stick, and no regrets yet. Good quality/price.

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
Second for the VKB Gladiator, it's at an amazing price point for the quality. Ya the Virpils are super nice but twice the cost and up, the Logitech and ect are a bit cheaper but all seem to have quality issues.

JonSpencer

Grand Admiral
Aug 26, 2018
RSI Handle
jondspen1
Was following, but guess notifications are turned off, so missed the recent updates. Would have never guess that I could get a better quality product, for $25 cheaper.

While I want to get it immediatly, Reddit mentioned end of Feb should see the Throttle controller coming out also, but VKB doesn't have an news released since this. Might be wise to hold off till March 😭 and see if they have a stick/throttle package.

Ordered both the Left and Right Premium Sticks and now I have buyers remorse - that I didn't get them sooner!!!! 😝😜😛

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?